Shade Hive

BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
<div class="IPBDescription">where did it go</div>I've been noticing a very popular trend to never get shade hive in a game, even competitive ones.

Is silence and cloak so bad no one wants it over cara and regen?

Personally i think silence is better then cara cause you get shot less.

General Question: Why would you guys pick crag over shade?

Comments

• Champlo0Champlo0 Join Date: 2012-04-17 Member: 150617Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1935962:date=May 13 2012, 02:12 PM:name=Benson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Benson @ May 13 2012, 02:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1935962"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've been noticing a very popular trend to never get shade hive in a game, even competitive ones.

Is silence and cloak so bad no one wants it over cara and regen?

Personally i think silence is better then cara cause you get shot less.

General Question: Why would you guys pick crag over shade?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Straight combat effectiveness is generally better than stealth. Cara is also useful on all lifeforms; why would you want a silent Gorge or silent Onos is beyond me. Skulks also have a built in silence that they can use if they really want to. I imagine when they release some more builds things will change, but for now cara is top priority next to augment.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    why wouldn't you get shade later on with two hives is the real question, most players get a 2nd hive and regen an call it good and never really bother with shades.

Silent fades, lerks, and leaping skulks are deadly, especially with cara, but still no one gets shade and only gets 2nd hive for regen.
  • JayarisJayaris Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149321Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1935965:date=May 13 2012, 02:22 PM:name=Benson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Benson @ May 13 2012, 02:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1935965"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->why wouldn't you get shade later on with two hives is the real question, most players get a 2nd hive and regen an call it good and never really bother with shades.

Silent fades, lerks, and leaping skulks are deadly, especially with cara, but still no one gets shade and only gets 2nd hive for regen.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It depends on the match, you need to lock down a 3rd Hive and have 80(40+20+20)res to spare. Most people get the third hive when they can, sometimes games end before that happens.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited May 2012
    It's because Crag Hive is universally important to all lifeforms (I made a post a while back <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=118002" target="_blank">here</a>), at all stages of the game. Shade is kind of only impressive in early/mid game and less rewarding to higher lifeforms like Fade and Onos... and cloak/silence become much less effective in mid/late game when armor uprades, general AoE (GL and flame spam), deffensive/offensive Obs detection, and ease of movement for marines through JP/phasegate provide very few situations to catch a marine by surprise (which is what shade hive as all about) - and if you do manage to surprise them, it will likely take too long to kill them reliably before they get a chance to kill you due to Armor upgrades.

It's a much safer bet to roll Crag Hive on your first hive for Carapace/regen than it is to go Shade (which is quite a liability if you don't get your 2nd hive going asap). And by the time you get your 2nd hive up, it's not even worth spending the res to research cloak or silence because those upgrades are not only less beneficial to higher lifeforms, but the nature of mid/late game makes them quite ineffective at that point.

edit: Oh and Shift Hive will be the nail in the coffin for Shade Hive :(
  • Unknown_SoldierUnknown_Soldier Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6395Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1935967:date=May 13 2012, 06:35 PM:name=rantology)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rantology @ May 13 2012, 06:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1935967"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's a much safer bet to roll Crag Hive on your first hive for Carapace/regen than it is to go Shade (which is quite a liability if you don't get your 2nd hive going asap). And by the time you get your 2nd hive up, it's not even worth spending the res to research cloak or silence because those upgrades are not only less beneficial to higher lifeforms, but the nature of mid/late game makes them quite ineffective at that point.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Augmentation probably helped kill the Shade Hive as well. With the second hive being not nearly as important as it used to, Aliens can simply hold off on one Hive for a lot longer and Carapace is the best bet off one hive.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    Back when getting second hive was top priority, I saw alot of shade hives since could cloak the growing hive and shade upgrades are nice for skulks.

However now all lifeforms are available at any time, and second hive isn't a top priority compared to harvesters (or moreso replacing them as they die all the time).
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I hope shade is improved to make it not quite so obsolete :(
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    <u><b>Benson:</b></u>

Cloak is junk and silence is only good on skulks, but not as good as carapace

So there's no reason to pay 40 resources so Skulks can be Carapace + Silence

What makes sense is to leave the 2nd hive un-upgraded and in the event your main hive goes down you can recover quickly by turning Hive #2 into another Crag hive

---

If you want to talk potential buffs for Shade Hive I can illustrate the problems 1 by 1 if you like

-
  • rhombusrhombus Lerk Queen Join Date: 2011-06-23 Member: 106055Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    There still is a lot of new abilities that haven't been implemented yet for the Shade Hive that may allow for it to have a slight comeback in the order of what chamber people prefer. I can also tell you right now that in the direction that the Shift is heading: celerity is only useful to two life forms.
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1936004:date=May 13 2012, 07:38 PM:name=SabaHell)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SabaHell @ May 13 2012, 07:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1936004"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->celerity is only useful to two life forms.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

which two?
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=1936004:date=May 13 2012, 05:38 PM:name=SabaHell)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SabaHell @ May 13 2012, 05:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1936004"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There still is a lot of new abilities that haven't been implemented yet for the Shade Hive that may allow for it to have a slight comeback in the order of what chamber people prefer. I can also tell you right now that in the direction that the Shift is heading: celerity is only useful to two life forms.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ah yeah I forget Celerity will be different than NS1... I'm guessing it's good for gorge and onos (or gorge/skulk)? It's main allure is ease of movement on infestation I think, right? Moving between hives...that's the best I can speculate. And depending on how good Hypermutation is (that's the 2nd Shift Hive upgrade wasn't it :s) Shift Hive may or may not be able to compete with Crag Hive in any capacity..

The TL;DR is Crag Hive<!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->(carapace)<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--> absolutely dominates.
    <!--quoteo(post=1936004:date=May 13 2012, 08:38 PM:name=SabaHell)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SabaHell @ May 13 2012, 08:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1936004"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->celerity is only useful to two life forms.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Celerity is useful to all lifeforms.

Especially true since the Gorge is not a real lifeform.
    <!--quoteo(post=1936009:date=May 13 2012, 05:46 PM:name=Unknown_Soldier)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Unknown_Soldier @ May 13 2012, 05:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1936009"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Celerity is useful to all lifeforms.

Especially true since the Gorge is not a real lifeform.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's been said Celerity is going to be geared toward "being able to get from hive-to-hive" quickly by some dev posts, so I believe this implies that it's going to be some kind of on-infestation-only mechanic or in the least a rather defensive upgrade. It won't be the static movement speed upgrade that it was in NS1.
    <!--quoteo(post=1936011:date=May 13 2012, 08:50 PM:name=rantology)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rantology @ May 13 2012, 08:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1936011"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's been said Celerity is going to be geared toward "being able to get from hive-to-hive" quickly by some dev posts, so I believe this implies that it's going to be some kind of on-infestation-only mechanic or in the least a rather defensive upgrade. It won't be the static movement speed upgrade that it was in NS1.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So what you're saying is... buff Lerk speed?
    <!--quoteo(post=1936012:date=May 13 2012, 07:52 PM:name=Unknown_Soldier)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Unknown_Soldier @ May 13 2012, 07:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1936012"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So what you're saying is... buff Lerk speed?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yes but only when travelling through areas where nothing is happening and you're totally safe

otherwise it's <i><b>Imba OP</b></i> ™
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    edited May 2012
    I still maintain that when marines and aliens spawn in certain locations (Shipping/Repair, Warehouse(marines)/Repair(aliens), any adjacent spawns on summit other than Atrium/Flight), shade can be a highly effective first upgrade. Not for the upgrades, never for the upgrades, but because it provides an incredibly powerful buff for only 10 res, and without anybody having to upgrade for it. However it requires that the aliens be all out offensive, no gorges, no round-the-map scouting. It also increases the effective threat range of an alien team. For example, a shade hive in repair effectively locks down shipping as the next expansion.

However, it also means that the second hive comes before augmentation, which can sometimes be a real downer.
  • TremanNTremanN Join Date: 2002-11-13 Member: 8471Members
    Crag is always going to be the first upgrade path unless the chambers are going to be reworked. Shade and shift paths will only be used in certain gimmicky strategies, that will border on an "all or nothing" mentality.
  • BVKnightBVKnight Join Date: 2012-02-26 Member: 147496Members
    I heard the devs are reworking camouflage so that you are invisible all the time no matter what. So that should help.
  • BrackharBrackhar Santa Monica Join Date: 2003-10-26 Member: 22004Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Onos
    I don't build shade hives because I hate manually turning on the stealth. It's annoying micro.
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
  • paradoxumparadoxum United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-03-05 Member: 148193Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1936238:date=May 14 2012, 12:49 PM:name=Brackhar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brackhar @ May 14 2012, 12:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1936238"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't build shade hives because I hate manually turning on the stealth. It's annoying micro.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yeah, I agree. when I first started playing NS2 I thought it was a toggle and that I could only turn one stealth thing on at a time. that would have even been better than the current lame way :/
    <!--quoteo(post=1936239:date=May 14 2012, 04:50 PM:name=Arkanti)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Arkanti @ May 14 2012, 04:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1936239"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Macro*<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

*Brutally easy
  • BrackharBrackhar Santa Monica Join Date: 2003-10-26 Member: 22004Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Onos
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1936239:date=May 14 2012, 09:50 PM:name=Arkanti)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Arkanti @ May 14 2012, 09:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1936239"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Macro*<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not to be pedantic, but clicking on a single unit and then activating the ability of said unit in a non-toggle manner is the textbook definition of micro. Macro is the overall decision to build a shade hive vs a crag hive in the first place. I was complaining about having to activate the stealth manually. Is it easy? Sure. Does the manual action improve the game with its presence? No.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2012
    Shade is very situational and also the removal of shade cloaking players made is less effective. It's just much easier to respond to threats with that extra bit of armor and staying in combat when you are able to get regen around the corner only adds to this. If you're visible and in combat those shotguns do a ton of damage to your Fade if you are not on carapace. Any lifeform will have more trouble staying alive when marines get upgrades and you're on a shade actually.

Not to mention when the marines know you're on a shade hive they will go all out weapon damage and obs to hard counter your evolutions
  • MisterNubsMisterNubs Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147912Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1936004:date=May 13 2012, 07:38 PM:name=SabaHell)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SabaHell @ May 13 2012, 07:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1936004"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There still is a lot of new abilities that haven't been implemented yet for the Shade Hive that may allow for it to have a slight comeback in the order of what chamber people prefer. I can also tell you right now that in the direction that the Shift is heading: <b>celerity is only useful to two life forms.</b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This disappoints me greatly.

Shade hive will always be that last hive upgrade that's taken (or flat out not taken at all). No amount of "special little tools" they give that tech line will change that and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. If it doesn't benefit the player personally, either combat effectiveness or life longevity, it's a useless perk. As Kouji said, carapace is a requirement because how marine's scale, taking shade will just hamper your team and put you a serious disadvantage. Further more, because Marines damage scales rapidly at the beginning of the game (early shotguns, then level one dmg), if you don't have carapace, your skulks will being doing damn squat (fades will be paper thin) and Marines will have an easy time pushing Aliens back and win map control.

If shift hive upgrades are going to be limited (and piss/poor like I'm already feeling they are going to be) Alien Kham will have the interesting choices of always going Crag -> Shift -> Ignore Shade for a backup Crag.
    <!--quoteo(post=1936579:date=May 16 2012, 08:39 PM:name=MisterNubs)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MisterNubs @ May 16 2012, 08:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1936579"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This disappoints me greatly.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Its not really a big a deal as it sounds. Its actually this way with most upgrades, but we don't notice it that much, until you actually say it.

Carapace is a little too general, and always has been, but has its draw backs. Every class can use carapace, and it is a big improvement, but with level 1 guns up and decent aim, it isn't giving you all that much.

Regeneration is nice to have, but nobody is taking it before carapace, that already means it isn't <b>as useful</b>. Even then, while people still evolve to it if 2 hives are up, what real use is regeneration to a skulk, or even a gorge? Sure, it has its niche moments (rarely), but ultimately its an ability for Lerks, Fades and Onos only.

Silence is quite clearly designed almost entirely for skulks, and to a lesser degree Lerks. Fades might get something out of it, if just to be different, but ultimately its a two lifeform upgrade (and always has been even in NS1).

Even when looking at celerity in NS1, you can see how limited its uses were. As a gorge, taking celerity was more of a party trick, as an Onos, there was little point. Fade does most of his movement through blinking, so any benefit he gains needs to be multiplied by the percentage of time he spends actually moving by foot. Essentially it is once again an ability made for skulks and lerks, but it didn't make it a bad upgrade by any standards.
    What's more, I actually kind of like the idea of upgrades being varyingly useful to different lifeforms. It is currently like that (as mentioned in my previous post), but imagine if the differences were exaggerated slightly more.

Purely as an example, imagine if Shades gave a massive benefit to skulks and gorges, making them something like 1.5 times as powerful as their carapaces counterparts. However, imagine if that improvement translated poorly to lerks and fades, and plain awfully to Onos.

Then maybe Shifts would be the best for Lerks and Fades, but would leave your early game skulks and gorges quite out-gunned, and would result in lacklustre Onos when the time came.

And then, for the real long term planners, an alien team could choose to go Crag first, which would leave the first 4 lifeforms somewhat underpowered for the early to mid game, but result in really potent Onos coming out towards the end, if the aliens survived that long.
  • goblingoblin Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31412Members
    edited May 2012
    khamm, we need FOCUS man, FOCUS!
  • MisterNubsMisterNubs Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147912Members
    @Imbalanxd

What Goblin said. Focus more than made up for the lack of benefit that celerity gave Fades and Oni.

Unless someone can tell me what Hyper-Mutation actually does, I'm not holding my breath for it to be amazing enough for me to pass up going crag first hive.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1936587:date=May 16 2012, 09:30 PM:name=MisterNubs)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MisterNubs @ May 16 2012, 09:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1936587"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->@Imbalanxd

What Goblin said. Focus more than made up for the lack of benefit that celerity gave Fades and Oni.

Unless someone can tell me what Hyper-Mutation actually does, I'm not holding my breath for it to be amazing enough for me to pass up going crag first hive.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you go Lerk with hypermutation you can go for free skulk, back to Lerk, for 20 more res Fade and back to gorge for free etc.
    I don't know if it also counts if you die.

F.e. you are Fade and killed 3 rines trying to kill an RT, go gorge heal it up, place some hydras and go back to Fade (in a shorter time than normal). Or you are Onos in SUB hive gets rushed in Atrium, go Fade, Blink to Atrium and reOnos at the other side of hive in 3 or so second.
    So it can be a very powerfull Upgrade