The forum

2»

Comments

• JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Thumb system is pointless.

New forum layout looks like its been organised by someone who's new to the internet, Headings and sub headings; not separate pages.
  • KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=118460&view=findpost&p=1936051" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...t&p=1936051</a>
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It is a lot cleaner and easy to navigate for first-time users.

Which honestly is the important demographic to appeal to at this point, since those of us whom are already here already know how to get around.

An option in the Control Panel would probably satisfy both parties, but that requires time/work not spent on Game Development, so maybe it would satisfy neither.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1936053:date=May 14 2012, 02:51 AM:name=KuBaN)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KuBaN @ May 14 2012, 02:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1936053"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It is a lot cleaner and easy to navigate for first-time users.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Elaborate. The way I see it is it MORE unclear than before, as it is now easy for newcomers to overlook certain sections of the forum (being in the same font\size\colour as static text and all). I hate to go on about such a small thing for so long, but I just don't see added benefits to the way it has been done now. Nobody is using a 640x480-resulotion anymore, in case you were wondering, and as such there is no need for such an overly layered\compressed forum.
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    edited May 2012
    Whatever you do, don't get a silly thumbs up/down feature. People can't handle those.
    Controversial posts will just end up with negative ratings, regardless of their quality or truth.

By the way, these or the new forums need someone who actually maintains them.
    The login bug has existed for over a year and smilies have been broken for like four years now.
  • DghelneshiDghelneshi Aims to surpass Fana in post edits. Join Date: 2011-11-01 Member: 130634Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1936108:date=May 14 2012, 12:55 PM:name=Raza.)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Raza. @ May 14 2012, 12:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1936108"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->smilies have been broken for like four years now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->And I love it! :>

Also, what player said.
  • KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1936104:date=May 14 2012, 04:55 AM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ May 14 2012, 04:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1936104"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Elaborate. The way I see it is it MORE unclear than before, as it is now easy for newcomers to overlook certain sections of the forum (being in the same font\size\colour as static text and all). I hate to go on about such a small thing for so long, but I just don't see added benefits to the way it has been done now. Nobody is using a 640x480-resulotion anymore, in case you were wondering, and as such there is no need for such an overly layered\compressed forum.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You have fewer choices in each subforum, meaning newcomers will not be overwhelmed by uncertainty in the face of too much choice. It's nothing to do with compressing space for compatibility, it's about organization and ease of access.
  • ArgathorArgathor Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110942Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1936326:date=May 15 2012, 05:17 AM:name=KuBaN)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KuBaN @ May 15 2012, 05:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1936326"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->it's about organization and ease of access.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Laughable!
    <!--quoteo(post=1936326:date=May 15 2012, 04:17 AM:name=KuBaN)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KuBaN @ May 15 2012, 04:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1936326"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->meaning newcomers will not be overwhelmed by uncertainty in the face of too much choice.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Mappers go to the mapping-forum, modders go to the modding-forum, ideas go to the idea\suggestions forum, technical-issues go to the technicalhelp-forum, I cannot for the life of me see how anyone can get confused. I think you're underestimating the average internet-goer.
  • paradoxumparadoxum United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-03-05 Member: 148193Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1935628:date=May 12 2012, 06:05 AM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ May 12 2012, 06:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1935628"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I know, I was responding to paradoxum specifically. I'm not really bothered by the design since it doesn't interfere with <i>my</i> way of using the forums, but neither would I mind if it was changed back.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ok, I see what you mean about the sub-forum links, I just totally didn't see them. they should probably be a different colour because they just don't stand out as links. text there is usually just a description of the forum or a list of moderators so I paid no attention to it.
  • zastelszastels Join Date: 2003-11-29 Member: 23731Members
    Is this forum going to be changed back to the way it was or not?

Seems like whoever made the change is being stubborn and making a bunch of stupid reasons as to how this is somehow better for newcomers.

Or why people who haven't even signed up here yet are more of a concern over the people who are <b>already here</b>
    I get they're trying to anticipate the coming horde when the game releases on Steam, but the changes made were meh tbh. The forum layout was pretty solid the way it was, the behind-the-scenes stuff is probably more worthy of attention (hardware\stability\capacity etc).
  • ArgathorArgathor Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110942Members, Squad Five Blue
    It is good to see you being proactive about the potential future problems, but not all change is good change!

I want to support the posts here stating that people aren't idiots and can easily navigate a forum. The layout was fine before, the first change increased the clicks it took me to get to the forums I wanted, that is bad. Now I can barely see the sub forum names. Categories were made for this reason, easily divide forums into different interest areas yet allow people to easily see and get to them in one click.

As player mentioned, far more important is the hardware/stability of the system. There are some strange behaviors already and hardly anyone uses the forum.