Lerk cannot bite anymore?

ShnagenburgShnagenburg Join Date: 2005-07-04 Member: 55235Members
Well I was a huge NS 1 fan and I felt it was time to pre-order NS2 and check out the beta... Where I was incredibly disappointed to learn that the Lerk lost its bite ability. Is this planned for the final release? I would love to see the lerk get its swooping melee combat back.

Comments

• MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    edited May 2012
    <u><b>Shnagenburg:</b></u>

Ok so basically people liked the bite, but it was OP as a lerk would come in at high speeds with a lot of health; dive bomb you and kill you in 2 hits or something

So then they gave lerk Spikes instead, but you couldn't tell where you were being shot from so they nerfed spikes and added a tracer effect

At some point spore cloud was too OP so they made it so it came out of the back of the lerk like some filth jet instead

Lerk also has bilebomb, but that that was too OP in numbers as bilebomb stacked so they reduced the damage

Lerk was still somehow OP and they also made it move 15% slower

I probably got the order messed up, but yes Lerk has been a magical ride full of grief and missfortune for those on the receiving end

-
  • JayarisJayaris Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149321Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1934003:date=May 6 2012, 03:40 PM:name=MaximumSquid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MaximumSquid @ May 6 2012, 03:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1934003"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><u><b>Shnagenburg:</b></u>

Ok so basically people liked the bite, but it was OP as a lerk would come in at high speeds with a lot of health; dive bomb you and kill you in 2 hits or something

So then they gave lerk Spikes instead, but you couldn't tell where you were being shot from so they nerfed spikes and added a tracer effect<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Didn't Lerks in NS1 have spikes which were removed because they were too OP and changed to bite?

I think it all becomes a little redundant when Lerks fly up to you and kill you in less time than they would if they had bite.

People should of learned to aim a Shotgun and it should of stuck with the Melee attack.
  • RyneRyne Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147408Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1934015:date=May 6 2012, 03:03 PM:name=Jayaris)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jayaris @ May 6 2012, 03:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1934015"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Didn't Lerks in NS1 have spikes which were removed because they were too OP and changed to bite?

I think it all becomes a little redundant when Lerks fly up to you and kill you in less time than they would if they had bite.

People should of learned to aim a Shotgun and it should of stuck with the Melee attack.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

IIRC it was changed in NS1 to make the primary attack for each lifeform be melee.
  • ShnagenburgShnagenburg Join Date: 2005-07-04 Member: 55235Members
    Well that is really depressing / unfortunate. My favorite part of NS was swooping into combat with focus and mid air biting jetpack marines. I am very sad to see that go.
  • SajSaj Join Date: 2003-01-30 Member: 12936Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2012
    in all the best versions of NS1 lerks did NOT have bite, god damn that ruined the entire class .
  • Master BlasterMaster Blaster Join Date: 2012-03-17 Member: 148908Banned
    <!--quoteo(post=1934002:date=May 6 2012, 02:39 PM:name=Shnagenburg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shnagenburg @ May 6 2012, 02:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1934002"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well I was a huge NS 1 fan and I felt it was time to pre-order NS2 and check out the beta... Where I was incredibly disappointed to learn that the Lerk lost its bite ability. Is this planned for the final release? I would love to see the lerk get its swooping melee combat back.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wait until you find out lerk has bile bomb now instead of the gorge.

First lerk bile bomb was underpowered, then overpowered, now underpowered again.
  • neonzneonz Join Date: 2004-02-07 Member: 26192Members, Constellation
    Not to be rude but this is NS2 not NS1. Agree the Lerk needs to change more but it is in beta and who knows what will be in the next patch? (ok maybe the devs...)
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    i rekon give lerks a long range poison type spike
    low RoF
    Dot effect,
  • SmasherSmasher Join Date: 2005-03-06 Member: 43732Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1934020:date=May 6 2012, 07:12 PM:name=Shnagenburg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shnagenburg @ May 6 2012, 07:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1934020"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well that is really depressing / unfortunate. My favorite part of NS was swooping into combat with focus and mid air biting jetpack marines. I am very sad to see that go.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I really miss that too, oh and ranged spores..
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    edited May 2012
    We told charlie this long time ago, but he wants the lerk to be close-combat fighter. He doesn't want the lerk to be support class, but he doesn't want the lerk to be long range combat fighter either. He wants the lerk to be the finisher, and support class but not really close combat fighter. he wants the lerk to be useful more, so giving him bile bomb made more sense but he didn't want the lerk to be a support class.

If the above made sense to you, welcome to NS2 charlie head.

lerk spikes should either be redone better or removed. But giving the lerk bite back would actually work better. Not would he be better close combat fighter but we know after years of play it can actually work.
    And currently the way lerk spreads spores is actually pretty bad, with better performance you will realize flying in to spread spores would be one way trip. So if you really like spreading spores trailing it, keep it but allow to click it to send it as projectile and hold it to spread it behind you as you fly.
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1934093:date=May 7 2012, 03:02 AM:name=neonz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (neonz @ May 7 2012, 03:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1934093"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not to be rude but this is NS2 not NS1.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

great post keep 'em comin'
  • HozartisHozartis Join Date: 2009-09-01 Member: 68668Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1934183:date=May 7 2012, 01:26 PM:name=luns)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (luns @ May 7 2012, 01:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1934183"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We told charlie this long time ago, but he wants the lerk to be close-combat fighter. He doesn't want the lerk to be support class, but he doesn't want the lerk to be long range combat fighter either. He wants the lerk to be the finisher, and support class but not really close combat fighter. he wants the lerk to be useful more, so giving him bile bomb made more sense but he didn't want the lerk to be a support class.

If the above made sense to you, welcome to NS2 charlie head.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<b>LOL!</b>

This thread is win.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1934003:date=May 6 2012, 05:40 PM:name=MaximumSquid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MaximumSquid @ May 6 2012, 05:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1934003"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><u><b>Shnagenburg:</b></u>

Ok so basically people liked the bite, but it was OP as a lerk would come in at high speeds with a lot of health; dive bomb you and kill you in 2 hits or something<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Lerk bite OP? I thought it wasn't as strong as skulk bite? Besides, because you had to get in so close, anybody with a shotgun could kill you in one shot. Even against a single LMG marine, if he had good aim, you still had to pick your attack carefully otherwise you might be dead before you even get a chance to fly away.

May be a tad overpowered against jetpacks though. I personally prefer it against spikes, although in NS2, jetpacks are too sluggish to stand a chance. Also, the lerk doesn't have the benefit of any other ranged alternatives (no more ranged spores) for when marines are in a group and flying in is just too risky.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    edited May 2012
    Playing so much the lerk, I kind of like spikes now.

Just a stupid idea, but why not have both bite and spike? You could have two classes of lerks, with a slightly different color or model, one with spike and one with bite. You would get a discount (50 res for two lerks instead of 60) if you evolve two different lerks at the same time, "broodlerks".

Anyway I doubt the devs have time or will to change the lerk before release.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1934372:date=May 8 2012, 10:03 AM:name=Yuuki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yuuki @ May 8 2012, 10:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1934372"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"broodlerks"<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    A babbler shooting lerk that just hovers around extremely slowly?
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    Babblers should be the lerks anti structure weapon instead of bile bomb.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    What about some little spaceship that a marine can jump in, pilot and fire anti-air rockets to counter the broodlerk ?