[207] - One of the best games I've played in. . .

MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
edited May 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
Game went along with Aliens having 2 hives and 2 nodes and Marines had 3 nodes for 90% of the game and I can honestly say it was one of the best games I've played in so far

Bases were close and pressure was very high with 2 other nodes in contention the whole game but neither side ever getting them secure enough for either comm to feel safe enough to put them down

Aliens were starving for res, but got Carpace, Aug, 2nd Hive, and Regen at a pretty quick clip because there was very little res wasted
Marines would always be 1 step ahead in tech and had nades on our front door almost the entire game

Finally someone got enough res for an <a href="http://www.infinitelooper.com/?v=b60UoB04N-Q&p=n#/795;814" target="_blank">Onos</a> and kicked everyone out of the nearest node between both bases
It probably would of gone on much longer with Exosuit, but for now I was pretty happy with how things played out

---

and from a balance standpoint giving marines a slight edge in resources seems to be on right on par for the moment

-

Comments

• XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I still think the harvesters are too fragile, this is especially apparent on maps like summit, and tram to a lessen extent. A good marine team will completely starve the alien economy early on, certainly now that hydras can't be relied on to protect harvesters. I suppose it's a good thing that balance is shifting, but I really wish it was happening in a different way (longer early game by lowering starting p.res, removal of map hacks on infestation, p.res sink aside from lifeforms, ...)
  • JayarisJayaris Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149321Members
    I also think the Harvester change was very odd, UWE thought the game would be balanced if Marines could cripple the economy of Aliens ridiculously easy?
  • bEEbbEEb Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149317Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I have to agree. I have recently played some pretty epic games. A lot of fun.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    Currently takes 34 uninterupted seconds for a single skulk to kill a brand new extractor, 28 seconds for the aliens "siege" unit, the Onos.

A mature harvester, which takes about 5 minutes to acquire, can be killed by a vanilla marine with a knife in 15 seconds.
  • Master BlasterMaster Blaster Join Date: 2012-03-17 Member: 148908Banned
    I think people might be confusing LONG games with GOOD games.

This build causes LONG games. I'm not sure if they are GOOD though.
  • LPCLPC Join Date: 2002-04-07 Member: 384Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    yeah harvesters are too weak, I can easily take down two at a time with a little luck... not to mention that marines have nano-shield which makes the marines extractor WAY stronger..
  • bEEbbEEb Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149317Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1933204:date=May 3 2012, 01:18 PM:name=Master Blaster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Master Blaster @ May 3 2012, 01:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1933204"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think people might be confusing LONG games with GOOD games.

This build causes LONG games. I'm not sure if they are GOOD though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You really cant tell someone what good or bad is for them.

Why cant Long be good AND short be good?

Besides my comment had nothing to do with time at all. It had to do with actually having fun going toe to toe with the alien team. Once you get past that "tipping point" that both teams face at the beginning of a round, there can be some really intense battles for tech points. If its long, then its long, if its short then its short.
  • Master BlasterMaster Blaster Join Date: 2012-03-17 Member: 148908Banned
    I want bigger maps.

That might actually help.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1933181:date=May 3 2012, 07:31 PM:name=Jayaris)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jayaris @ May 3 2012, 07:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1933181"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I also think the Harvester change was very odd, UWE thought the game would be balanced if Marines could cripple the economy of Aliens ridiculously easy?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The Harvesters were not meant to be quite that weak, and we've already changed this for the next patch. This was one of the side effects of a weekly patch schedule that was not giving us enough time to test changes, before releasing to the public. It is the reason why the next patch is on a 2 week schedule now, so that we can test game design changes more thoroughly before they go out to the community.

--Cory
  • noncomposmentisnoncomposmentis Join Date: 2004-11-13 Member: 32773Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1933217:date=May 3 2012, 01:31 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ May 3 2012, 01:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1933217"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It is the reason why the next patch is on a 2 week schedule now, so that we can test game design changes more thoroughly before they go out to the community.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I totally agree with this decision.
  • MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1933204:date=May 3 2012, 03:18 PM:name=Master Blaster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Master Blaster @ May 3 2012, 03:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1933204"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think people might be confusing LONG games with GOOD games.

This build causes LONG games. I'm not sure if they are GOOD though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No confusion here, I actually prefer the long games. Especially if progress is made & lost between both teams, meaning sometimes the Aliens would push forward and then Marines would push back gaining ground and vise versa but there would always be a slow forward gain by one of the teams.
    Long games with no progress (stalemate) can get boring real fast however.
  • cake.cake. Join Date: 2012-01-12 Member: 140165Members
    UWE <3

207 has been treating me really nicely. Really enjoyed the games i've played, even when the team lost, cz it was apparent that it was our fault. Long games feel quite exciting too, with both teams being able to push and get back some territory.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The Harvesters were not meant to be quite that weak, and we've already changed this for the next patch. This was one of the side effects of a weekly patch schedule that was not giving us enough time to test changes, before releasing to the public. It is the reason why the next patch is on a 2 week schedule now, so that we can test game design changes more thoroughly before they go out to the community.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks for the heads up! Really glad to hear this. Definitely looking forward to 208.
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1933200:date=May 3 2012, 04:14 PM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ May 3 2012, 04:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1933200"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Currently takes 34 uninterupted seconds for a single skulk to kill a brand new extractor, 28 seconds for the aliens "siege" unit, the Onos.

A mature harvester, which takes about 5 minutes to acquire, can be killed by a vanilla marine with a knife in 15 seconds.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It has been this way forever, and it's one of the really easy ways to see that very few people see the obvious things wrong in this game. I've honestly never seen this topic discussed on the forums, and if it was it certainly wasn't "a big deal" like all the new gorge stuff.

Somebody tell me why marines deserve to kill harvesters twice as fast as aliens without saying "because they have to switch weapons". Do it!

<!--quoteo(post=1933217:date=May 3 2012, 04:31 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ May 3 2012, 04:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1933217"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The Harvesters were not meant to be quite that weak, and we've already changed this for the next patch. This was one of the side effects of a weekly patch schedule that was not giving us enough time to test changes, before releasing to the public. It is the reason why the next patch is on a 2 week schedule now, so that we can test game design changes more thoroughly before they go out to the community.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

GOOD! I'm quite glad to see this. I'd be interested to hear how you guys are going to test the new changes, too. Without being<i> too much</i> of a jerk, I've seen a lot of cases where things were tested, but they may as well have not been tested given the outcome.
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1933276:date=May 3 2012, 05:44 PM:name=internetexplorer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (internetexplorer @ May 3 2012, 05:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1933276"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Somebody tell me why marines deserve to kill harvesters twice as fast as aliens without saying "because they have to switch weapons". Do it!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Because aliens have too much res half the time = infinite onos. Fragile resource towers DOES help balance that. Personally I'd rather see alien res rates/costs tweaked rather than fragile buildings, though. The different toughness might balance things in a weird way, but it definitely FEELS unfair.

Sometimes how things feel is way more important than the end result they produce.
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1933323:date=May 3 2012, 08:18 PM:name=Deadzone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Deadzone @ May 3 2012, 08:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1933323"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Because aliens have too much res half the time = infinite onos. Fragile resource towers DOES help balance that. Personally I'd rather see alien res rates/costs tweaked rather than fragile buildings, though. The different toughness might balance things in a weird way, but it definitely FEELS unfair.

Sometimes how things feel is way more important than the end result they produce.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

^ THIS!!!!!!!!!

I Know rite. Man I'm glad u posted taht.
  • aldea-quesoaldea-queso Join Date: 2012-05-03 Member: 151512Members
    I also have the best games in patch 207. They are very fun. Don't understand why so many people whine when we got such a balance patch going. They should try playing first before posting on forums.
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1933276:date=May 4 2012, 08:44 AM:name=internetexplorer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (internetexplorer @ May 4 2012, 08:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1933276"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It has been this way forever, and it's one of the really easy ways to see that very few people see the obvious things wrong in this game. I've honestly never seen this topic discussed on the forums, and if it was it certainly wasn't "a big deal" like all the new gorge stuff.

Somebody tell me why marines deserve to kill harvesters twice as fast as aliens without saying "because they have to switch weapons". Do it!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Because Aliens have Parasite, Infestation Hive Sight, and Drifter scouts to detect marine movements long before they make it to the harvesters, and the speed+vent shortcuts to react to that intel. To balance that out, the harvesters need to be weaker for when the marines do manage to sneak all the way there.

Aliens haven't really been taking true advantage of all these things up until now, because to be honest, they haven't had to(plus as the drifter change is new, I more often than not see alien coms not using them at all), and most people playing on public servers don't seem to check their map nearly as often as they should. The tools are there, alien teams need to make better use of them.

That said, the newborn harvester health is perhaps bit too low as it stands now- but there should definitely be a trade-off for the aliens map control mechanics.
  • pRiNcEkAhUnApRiNcEkAhUnA Join Date: 2012-03-06 Member: 148264Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1933170:date=May 3 2012, 11:40 AM:name=MaximumSquid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MaximumSquid @ May 3 2012, 11:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1933170"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Played a few rounds where marines would instantly rage quit when an Onos appeared even though the marines had wins in the bag.. It seems to be the new marine trend.
  • blinblin Join Date: 2011-07-20 Member: 111290Members
    They should consider giving a mature Harvester a "carapace" ability, which can be triggered by commander. Then for some limit period of time a harvester could "grow" a thick skin and stop moving increasing its health, lets say for 30% - de-buff - at this period of time (and probably a minute after) it doesnt produce res.
  • GsemiaGsemia Join Date: 2011-01-28 Member: 79297Members
    At the moment i see many games where the win is available for both teams for a very short time. Its the time where one team starts rushing a hive with shotguns and the alien team waits for its first onos. Once the onos is out, he descides who wins. If the onos dies, the marines win, if he kills everyone, the aliens win..

Yesterday we had a really good game where we suddenly faced 3 Onos on Summit. We managed to counter it with jetpacks. We killed 2 Hives and never allowed the aliens to get augmentation back. But we simply could not kill any of these 3 Onoses. This made us lose the game in the end, but it was a damn good game. We killed all their resource towers, they killed all of ours and in the end it was 3 onos vs marines without ressources.

But it was really fun since we managed to sneak kill these 2 hives :) Well one hive was sneak killed with a sletch hammer over the time of about 2 minutes. If they would have had only one gorge, we could not have killed it i think :)