Rubberbanding in 206

PaniggPanigg Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58212Members
edited May 2012 in Technical Support
<div class="IPBDescription">Going crazy, one step backwards at a time.</div>I'm sure some of you guys have or had the same issue.

Join a server, run a around for a bit and the server will set you back half a second or so back, where you were before. This keeps happening every 5-10 seconds and gets extremely annoying in fights.

Also since 206 my in battle performance has dropped from a steady 60+ frames to 10 or so.

Anyone know how to fix either problem?

Running on a 300mbs wifi connection, pings usually around 100.
CPU: i7 @ 3.40 ghz
RAM: 8 gig
GPU: Radeon 6900
Windows 7 64

Comments

• ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Only way to fix is to play on better servers. Type 'net_stats' into console and check the server rate. If its dropping below 10 ticks/s, then you'll get rubberbanding.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    I tend to get it when it drops below 20, but I guess latency plays a large role in that as well.
  • -[420]-Papageorgio-[420]-Papageorgio Join Date: 2011-09-23 Member: 122961Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1932265:date=May 1 2012, 11:59 AM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ May 1 2012, 11:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932265"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Only way to fix is to play on better servers. Type 'net_stats' into console and check the server rate. If its dropping below 10 ticks/s, then you'll get rubberbanding.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1 Scardy bob knows his shiz
  • PaniggPanigg Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58212Members
    Doesn't seem to matter. I've checked and the servers I'm playing on have between 14 and 20 ticks/s and I'm rubberbanding pretty hard.
  • GsemiaGsemia Join Date: 2011-01-28 Member: 79297Members
    If I am not mistaking, "rubberbanding" as you call it is a problem caused by the communication between the client and the server. The Client has many measures for lag compensation. It has the power to do certain stuff on its own without telling the server or without telling the server 10 times every seconds.

This allows to game to be much more smoothy even if the server is on its edge to dying because of too much f**ing sentries :)

To be able to calculate the same situation for all the players, the server has to stay in sync with all its clients. Sometimes, the server needs to tell all the clients exactly where they are standing.

If a server is stressed out to the max, sometimes he can't handle all inputs from the clients and discards them if they are lying around too long already. In that case, the server does think you are standing in another place than you are standing in your client and the next time the server tells you where you are, the client realizes that the positions do not match and moves you back to the position it just received from the server.

so: long story short: The server can't keep up with all the input.. or the server does not receive all the input if the bandwith is to low.. or the server was not able to send you all the updates, thinks you are completly out of sync and forces you back to a fixed position to get your client back in sync with the game.

short story even shorter: its the server! or your communication with it.