How is the performance?

peentankpeentank Join Date: 2010-09-01 Member: 73857Members
edited May 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
Hey so if you go to the pre-order page and look at the system requirements (i don't know if they are there anymore or updated) but they were COMPLETELY inaccurate. I don't know if their intention was to get people to pre-order the game and give them false information about what the system requirements were so that more people would pre-order it so they could continue to fund development (rather than getting a different job to support their hobby of making video games). Who knows

Anyway, the consensus about 6 months ago was that you needed pretty much top of the line everything (CPU, GPU, etc.) in order to get an unstable amount of FPS and to be even remotely playable.

My question is, after 6 months, have the requirements gone down or do you still need a ridiculously good PC in order to play this un-optimized game?

Comments

• RautapalliRautapalli Join Date: 2010-07-23 Member: 72710Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2012
    The performance has improved a lot, but you still need a top of the line CPU (preferably overclocked too) to get decent framerates in the later parts of the round, and even then it can dip down to 10~ fps.
  • peentankpeentank Join Date: 2010-09-01 Member: 73857Members
    ugh dammit... I want to hop in the beta but I don't want to blow money on this just to have it unplayable.. Thanks for the information, see you guys in another 6 months
  • w0dk4w0dk4 Join Date: 2008-04-22 Member: 64129Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Summer should be less than 6 months and by this date, NS2 1.0 should be released and by definition, performance should at least be doubled by that date (i.e. endgame at around 20 fps which is still unplayable).

Anyways, to have a truly good performing NS2 experience (constant 60 fps) I estimate you will have to buy a new computer and wait until 2013.
  • MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1932663:date=May 2 2012, 02:54 PM:name=Rautapalli)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rautapalli @ May 2 2012, 02:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932663"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The performance has improved a lot, but you still need a top of the line CPU (preferably overclocked too) to get decent framerates in the later parts of the round, and even then it can dip down to 10~ fps.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Just realize that even though it takes a very powerful setup now to sustain high framerates, this should hopefully change as they continue to optimize the game.
    What used to take an i7 overclocked might only need an i3 or less to get the same performance once they finish.

IMO you do not need the top of the line CPU to get playable framerates right now (Unless your definition of playable is 60+ FPS all the time).
    I'm running an I5-2500K (stock speeds) w/ an ATI 4850 and I would say that 75% I have no issues playing the game in its current state. Sure if the server gets loaded up with 18 or more people and there are tons of sentries and hydras it definitely slows down towards the end but it's still fun to play.
  • BaTsBaTs Join Date: 2012-04-27 Member: 151165Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1932683:date=May 2 2012, 05:09 PM:name=MiniH0wie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MiniH0wie @ May 2 2012, 05:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932683"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just realize that even though it takes a very powerful setup now to sustain high framerates, this should hopefully change as they continue to optimize the game.
    What used to take an i7 overclocked might only need an i3 or less to get the same performance once they finish.

IMO you do not need the top of the line CPU to get playable framerates right now (Unless your definition of playable is 60+ FPS all the time).
    I'm running an I5-2500K (stock speeds) w/ an ATI 4850 and I would say that 75% I have no issues playing the game in its current state. Sure if the server gets loaded up with 18 or more people and there are tons of sentries and hydras it definitely slows down towards the end but it's still fun to play.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree. I have a Radeon HD5770 and an AMD CPU clocked around 3.2 ghz and I'm getting excellent framerates at all points in the game except after immediately spawning.
  • RautapalliRautapalli Join Date: 2010-07-23 Member: 72710Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2012
    Well, different people have different standards. If 10-20 fps is excellent by your definition then so it is. The fact is that no one can achieve even a stable 30 fps when it comes to the late game with a bunch of hydras/turrets etc. around. That includes people with top of the line i7's clocked at ~4.8 Ghz.

I love the game, I already have 270 hours played on Steam, but I haven't been able to recommend it to any of my friends because of the terrible performance. I hope that's going to change when the game is actually released.
  • MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1932692:date=May 2 2012, 04:24 PM:name=Rautapalli)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rautapalli @ May 2 2012, 04:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932692"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well, different people have different standards. If 10-20 fps is excellent by your definition then so it is. The fact is that no one can achieve even a stable 30 fps when it comes to the late game with a bunch of hydras/turrets etc. around. That includes people with top of the line i7's clocked at ~4.8 Ghz.

I love the game, I already have 270 hours played on Steam, but I haven't been able to recommend it to any of my friends because of the terrible performance. I hope that's going to change when the game is actually released.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Your right, different people different opinions. That's why I was mentioning what I wrote. For me it's playable but could/should it be better, of course but it will take some time.
    Your statement sounded to me and appearently the same to the OP that if you don't have the top of the line PC, you can't play it right now which is false.
    Who knows, maybe he'll find out that it's perfectly fine for him right now w/ his current setup but when people say things like this they'll never know.
    And if he finds that it's not playable for his setup, he can always get a refund right now.
  • TremanNTremanN Join Date: 2002-11-13 Member: 8471Members
    Whoever thinks 30 fps is playable is wrong.
  • wazups2xwazups2x Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72902Members
    edited May 2012
    Performance is still bad and I still have bad input lag. However, the bad input lag may be do to the low FPS.

I hate playing games at any lower than 40 frames, I prefer 60+.
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1932687:date=May 2 2012, 11:13 PM:name=BaTs)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BaTs @ May 2 2012, 11:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932687"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I agree. I have a Radeon HD5770 and an AMD CPU clocked around 3.2 ghz and<b> I'm getting excellent framerates at all points in the game</b> except after immediately spawning.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, I doubt that. I have the same graphics card and 3.4 GHz and the frame rate is terrible (below 20 fps in combat).
  • TinkerTinker Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14395Members
    I play the game at 15-25 FPS in combat and do all right most games. What kills me is I often get terrible choke that causes lag spikes. The reason most people get terrible FPS at the end of the round is the game is VERY intensive on the server. I still get around the same FPS towards the end of the round as at the beginning.
  • flyjumflyjum Join Date: 2012-01-07 Member: 139849Members
    I have a 990x core i7 and sli GTX590s

I still get FPS dips into the mid 20s
    But I do play on max settings
  • bunglebungle Join Date: 2012-04-21 Member: 150870Members
    i currently run a i2500k clocked at 4.7GHz, a 560Ti, 32GB of ram(Quad Chan @1888Mhz) and a SSD Card.

I get 100fps when running around, between 70-90 in combat early game, late game i get about 50-60fps

bosh :)
    <!--quoteo(post=1932755:date=May 2 2012, 07:04 PM:name=Raza.)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Raza. @ May 2 2012, 07:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932755"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well, I doubt that. I have the same graphics card and 3.4 GHz and the frame rate is terrible (below 20 fps in combat).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If by combat you mean 3 Lurks are flying around the marine's base dropping bilebombs, an onos is stomping like crazy, and all available marines / turrets are firing nonstop then yes I get around 20. If you're referring to any combat scenario less crazy than that then I stick with my comments of excellent framerates.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I have high hopes for 208, as do many I'm sure. Things will get really really awesome if 208 means a considerable performance leap for most players.
    <!--quoteo(post=1933239:date=May 3 2012, 05:15 PM:name=Xarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xarius @ May 3 2012, 05:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1933239"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have high hopes for 208, as do many I'm sure. Things will get really really awesome if 208 means a considerable performance leap for most players.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agreed. Better performance means accessibility for more players, more servers, and more great games!