Sneaky Marines?

ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
edited May 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">it doesn't quite fit</div>Back in the original natural-selection, each team had their own distinct traits. The marines were slow and had cumbersome technology, but came with great force, while the aliens were agile and elusive (for the most part) and attacked with surprise. The roles were cliche perhaps, but each team was completely different and it was a great dynamic.

For the sake of this post, I will focus on the specific attributes of the marine team. They were slow.. really slow. A good 50% slower than the aliens, and that's if the aliens weren't bhopping. They were also predictable. Always starting in the same location, while aliens could be in any of three possible places. When a marine was parasited, it was a big deal, because he knew that every alien on the map now had permanent knowledge of his location, no matter where they were. Even without parasite, it was easy to monitor marine actions because they were always in plain sight.

Because of all these factors, marines were essentially <b>forced</b> to move in groups. Their slow speed meant that dying was a major set back, taking ages to regain what ever progress had been made. Their predictable movements meant that encounters were inevitable, they couldn't merely slip under the radar, they had to use firepower to overwhelm whatever obstacles they encountered.

This also meant that an unseen marine was a deadly marine. Failing to keep track of an enemy marine could be devastating to the alien team, and was frequently the cause for lost hives and games. But it wasn't easy, a single footstep would give you away. It took time skill and patience to get to the ideal location to attack from, and it was rewarding.

In NS2 however, this seems to have changed greatly. Aliens are now only marginally faster than marines, and no more elusive. Marines can appear anywhere at any time, and most alien structures are so weak that they are essentially undefendable once a marine gets up to them. The entire marine team can prepare a shotgun rush on a hive location, and the aliens will only know once the marines are directly outside the room. There is almost no reason to move as a group, because no matter where you die on the map, you know you can get back to that exact location in no more than 30 seconds tops.

In my opinion, the marine team's extreme mobility is destroying the strategic dynamic of this game. Its gotten to the point where it is the marines that are the sneaky ones, appearing where you least expect them, attacking quickly and devastatingly. Its the aliens who are slow and predictable now.

<b>tl;dr remove sprint from the game</b>

Comments

• Squirreli_Squirreli_ Join Date: 2012-04-25 Member: 151046Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Aliens have both infestation sight and drifters on top of their lifeforms scouting, so in the current build they should very much be in the know. This does however break down in early game, since the infestation has not spread far and the 20 second spawn wave is shutting down alien map control. With the exception of skulkrushing bases, the best (teams being roughly even) alien strategy seems to be holding 3-4 harvesters, getting early shell upgrade and then using augment fades at the 6-8min mark. Lerks do work too, but fades are what really shuts down the marines ability to control the map...

I would argue that while marines could be a bit slower, the key issue in build 206 regarding ninja-marines everywhere is actually two-fold: a) harvesters are so weak, that once a marine is on it, you do not have any time to react and b) 20s spawn wave shuts down alien map control which creates ample opportunities for ninja-marines to expoit. I believe these will be changed in the next patch, although I could be wrong.

PS. I don't think sneaky marines are actually all that bad; good players in the right place at the right time should be allowed to be effective. It's just that sometimes every time and every place seem like the right one ;)
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1932571:date=May 2 2012, 12:47 PM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ May 2 2012, 12:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932571"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b>tl;dr remove sprint from the game</b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    +9 billion

Drop sprint and make the marine base-speed a bit faster.
    Of course skulks should become a hellofalot faster too, when is that finally gonna happen...
  • {LoC}Blue_Leader{LoC}Blue_Leader Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 144025Members, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2012
    Aren't Aliens still winning a large amount of games compared to Marines? Haven't played recently but there was some severe balance issues that should be looked into first before nerfing Marines.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I dislike sprint causing my squad to splinter as some want to hurry ahead and others want to be cautious and keep their guns ready...
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1932572:date=May 2 2012, 03:00 PM:name=Squirreli_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squirreli_ @ May 2 2012, 03:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932572"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->PS. I don't think sneaky marines are actually all that bad; good players in the right place at the right time should be allowed to be effective. It's just that sometimes every time and every place seem like the right one ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Its not so much an issue of the sneakiness being outright bad. If they want to take it in that direction then so be it. The problem is the marines sacrifice nothing for it. Essentially the aliens have been added unchanged (talking early game here), and perhaps even slightly slower, while the marines have been added exactly as they were, but their speed has been increased massively.

<!--quoteo(post=1932575:date=May 2 2012, 03:08 PM:name={LoC}Blue_Leader)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ({LoC}Blue_Leader @ May 2 2012, 03:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932575"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Aren't Aliens still winning a large amount of games compared to Marines? Haven't played recently but there was some severe balance issues that should be looked first before nerfing Marines.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It started off that way, but now that people understand how to win, aliens lose almost every game (in my experience anyway). The only time I see aliens win is when the marines either have no comm, or a very inexperienced one. Also its not so much a balance issue as a core mechanic issue. I feel the marines are losing their distinct identity.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    Not so much a nerf, more a design-choice. Obviously right this moment it won't help the already stacked balance of the game, but you can't go through development with balance as a top-priority, it's a beta (ALPHA), it's allowed to be crap and horribly unbalanced, <b><u>as long as the thoughts behind it are solid</u></b>, and things will resolve itself in due (development)time.
  • Ice30Ice30 Join Date: 2011-11-26 Member: 135365Members
    Marines shouldn't be able to outrun skulks as they currently are able to, but currently if marines wern't able to sprint they wouldn't be able to respond to buildings, particularly res towers, being attacked by even a single skulk without losing them all the time. Changing players speeds at the moment is a double edged sword and it effects nearly everything in the game.

As far as marines suprising aliens goes however, this never happens if the aliens just check on the minimap :P Aliens are still able to suprise marines with skulks able to hide on walls and their cloaking abilities, without adjusting running speeds.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited May 2012
    I must agree I really don't like the fast paced gameplay of NS 2 in general, it felt like NS 1's pace was much more appropriate and enjoyable. I miss the days of slow marine advancement down corridors and big rooms, rather than the current mindless 'rush' towards an extractor or hive room. But it's not just marines really, skulks too are being played a lot less 'tactically'. You see a lot less ambushes, 'stalking' and careful attacks than you did in NS 1.
    <!--quoteo(post=1932580:date=May 2 2012, 03:17 PM:name=Ice30)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ice30 @ May 2 2012, 03:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932580"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Marines shouldn't be able to outrun skulks as they currently are able to, but currently if marines wern't able to sprint they wouldn't be able to respond to buildings, particularly res towers, being attacked by even a single skulk without losing them all the time. Changing players speeds at the moment is a double edged sword and it effects nearly everything in the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is actually one of the main reasons I want sprint removed. If I spawn as a marine in Flight Control, check the minimap, and suddenly see a skulk begin attacking a res tower in Sub-Access, I can sprint there and make it in time to save it. That is just ridiculous. The marine team has to put absolutely no effort into taking and controlling almost all the res towers on the map. In NS1 (I know this isn't NS1, but its a good reference for what is balanced and fun) an extractor was either electrified, or fortified with an outpost. If it wasn't, it had a permanent guard, or it was lost.
  • Ice30Ice30 Join Date: 2011-11-26 Member: 135365Members
    In earlier versions, before they buffed marine running speed, marines spent too much time squabbling over res tower outposts in early game, trying to defend and mostly rebuild towers that had been destroyed. Meanwhile the aliens were able to tech up, collect resources and not have to worry about attack. This was identified as a balance issue as even a reasonably coordinated marine team could be undermined by a single skulk staying out of action but constantly biting res towers. Thats when marine run speeds became too fast.

The real solutions such as cheap fortification or defence for this scenario havn't made it into the game (nanoshield isn't enough by itself). I hope that marines do become slower, but only if they have more options for suplying cheap defence which only acts to buy them enough time to reach an outpost before it is destroyed by a lonely skulk
  • RautapalliRautapalli Join Date: 2010-07-23 Member: 72710Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1932575:date=May 2 2012, 03:08 PM:name={LoC}Blue_Leader)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ({LoC}Blue_Leader @ May 2 2012, 03:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932575"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Aren't Aliens still winning a large amount of games compared to Marines? Haven't played recently but there was some severe balance issues that should be looked into first before nerfing Marines.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think the numbers might have completely turned around in this build. Before it was the skulks chomping down marine RTs constantly but that's not nearly as viable anymore due to the 20 sec spawn. Now instead we have marines that respawn almost instantly and run almost as fast as skulks (those that can't walljump well anyway) and axe harvesters down in under 10 seconds ALONE.
  • SpaPalSpaPal Join Date: 2012-02-28 Member: 147699Members
    Imbalanced does make a really good point regarding the speed issue, it changes the meta dynamic. A big missing component is when shift gets implemented for the aliens are they going to get celerity? If so games will go even faster due to the faster overall speeds both sides are capable of. The only two viable options get a more distinct meta dynamic seems to be either remove marine sprint or increase the size of the maps but until shift is integrated into the game and a first few passes are made at the speed issue its hard for me to hold a strong opinion.

• Squirreli_Squirreli_ Join Date: 2012-04-25 Member: 151046Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1932588:date=May 2 2012, 04:41 PM:name=Rautapalli)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rautapalli @ May 2 2012, 04:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932588"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think the numbers might have completely turned around in this build. Before it was the skulks chomping down marine RTs constantly but that's not nearly as viable anymore due to the 20 sec spawn. Now instead we have marines that respawn almost instantly and run almost as fast as skulks (those that can't walljump well anyway) and axe harvesters down in under 10 seconds ALONE.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Aliens with 4 res towers from the start get blinking carapace fades at around 6 minutes. Good marine offences at harvesters can delay this as much as 4-6 minutes. Before the fades come out, marines dominate the map. This is due to 20s spawn waves. On public servers the waves and a tendency of many players to go gorge and be generally defensive often combine to give marines free reign of the map save for a hydra-fortified harvester or two. This can be mitigated by good lerks.

Now, if the aliens reach the first blinking fades, they have a really really good chance of getting the win. Good fades do not currently die, and this is very evident on public servers. If the fades can be shut down, the marines can still win after this, but they tend to lose map control to fades really quickly. In clan matches I've seen mass fade tactics where 3 fades go down almost right after they appear and the 2 remaining fades (the luckiest and/or the most skilled ones) still manage to shut down marine map control almost completely.

On clan matches, I still would say the aliens are definitely stronger in Summit. In Turtle it is around. Mineshaft is all aliens and on Tram im not certain... Could be 50/50 or something like that.

On publics the wins are often won by a) good aggressive marine teamplay and ninja-kills on harvesters and b) good alien players with lerks/fades. On the other hand the games are often lost by a) marines camping and allowing aliens to get fades b) and aliens using the game as some kind of Farmwille with snotballs for walls and hydras for fun... Right now I think the balance on public is pretty good in Summit at least, and games are more often determined by skilled play than by imbalance issues...
  • VenatosVenatos Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149762Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    ill just say this:

a marine should never be able to run away from a skulk, NEVER!
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=1932628:date=May 2 2012, 11:07 AM:name=Venatos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Venatos @ May 2 2012, 11:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932628"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->ill just say this:

a marine should never be able to run away from a skulk, NEVER!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They can't? Wall jump to give your self more speed. All it takes is one successful hop and you are now faster than him.

Then there is leap. That one should be pretty obvious.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1932628:date=May 2 2012, 05:07 PM:name=Venatos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Venatos @ May 2 2012, 05:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932628"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->ill just say this:

a marine should never be able to run away from a skulk, NEVER!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    And they shouldn't be able to. Marine sprint speed is 6, skulk base speed is 7. Not to mention getting a few well timed wall jumps in as a skulk can boost your speed to some (currently) ridiculous speeds. Not to mention celerity, which as far as I know is still planned as an upgrade. And there's leap.
    <!--quoteo(post=1932584:date=May 2 2012, 01:31 PM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ May 2 2012, 01:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932584"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If I spawn as a marine in Flight Control, check the minimap, and suddenly see a skulk begin attacking a res tower in Sub-Access, I can sprint there and make it in time to save it. That is just ridiculous.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The problem is, Summit is just one map example that is on the small side. Larger maps like Mineshaft are already hard for marines to get around in order to defend their RTs, with sprint. Removing sprint would be crippling on a map like that.

--Cory
    <!--quoteo(post=1932630:date=May 2 2012, 07:19 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ May 2 2012, 07:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932630"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And they shouldn't be able to. Marine sprint speed is 6, skulk base speed is 7. Not to mention getting a few well timed wall jumps in as a skulk can boost your speed to some (currently) ridiculous speeds. Not to mention celerity, which as far as I know is still planned as an upgrade. And there's leap.

The problem is, Summit is just one map example that is on the small side. Larger maps like Mineshaft are already hard for marines to get around in order to defend their RTs, with sprint. Removing sprint would be crippling on a map like that.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That may be true. However, in my opinion (and the numbers agree) maps like eclipse, nothing, hera, are all larger than mineshaft. Marines weren't crippled then, and I can't tell what's changed.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2012
    1. Learn walljumping?, except gorge every other alien class is still like 3times faster than marines. (but not that i want to defend marine sprint)
    2. Alien scouting: Infestation, parasite, drifter scout, players in your team using voice.
    Parasite is still awesome as ever + there are so many more scouting options that its almost impossible to not know where marines are at any given time in ns2.

Like in ns1, ns2 is about good pressure - if marines do it right(split pushing) it appears to you that they are appearing everywhere... but thats a mistake by your team, either you fail at a lot of small battles or you are distributing your forces incorrectly. (maybe you also got 1-2 perma gorges playing minecraft in a useless place => players missing on the field)

It sure is a bit crappy atm since harvester hp is too low, but well every player in the alien team can currently spam 3 hydras and switch lifeform back again to help securing at least 3rts - they might still go down every now and then but pressure to the hive is not possible until arcs or some very good gl use.
  • VenatosVenatos Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149762Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=1932635:date=May 2 2012, 07:51 PM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ May 2 2012, 07:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932635"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1. Learn walljumping?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

eh.. no? i will not learn some artificial movementmechanic that disrupts my natural skulkplay. i dont understand it and it makes no sense to me.

focus has to lie on the normal movement. if there is some way for the "pro´s" to get themselfs a little speedbuff by jumping around its fine with me, but it has to be small and can not be considdered normal movement.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    To be fair, 'natural' skulk play doesn't exist. In NS 1 it was bunnyhopping, not it's walljumping, game design what is considered to be 'natural' for skulks (i.e the playstyle that makes them the most effective)
    <!--quoteo(post=1932645:date=May 2 2012, 08:32 PM:name=Xarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xarius @ May 2 2012, 08:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932645"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->To be fair, 'natural' skulk play doesn't exist. In NS 1 it was bunnyhopping, not it's walljumping, game design what is considered to be 'natural' for skulks (i.e the playstyle that makes them the most effective)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    it has been many years that i played ns1, but i dont remember bunnyhopping giving you a speedboost tbh.
  • PampelmusePampelmuse Join Date: 2005-04-06 Member: 47641Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1932636:date=May 2 2012, 01:10 PM:name=Venatos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Venatos @ May 2 2012, 01:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932636"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->focus has to lie on the normal movement. if there is some way for the "pro´s" to get themselfs a little speedbuff by jumping around its fine with me, but it has to be small and can not be considdered normal movement.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

walljumping is as normal as it gets considering teleporting aliens, bellysliding fatties, flying humans and... wallwalking and walljumping dogs.
    get used to it.
    its a mechanic that can be learned in 5 minutes, although mastered in a much longer time. ever played ns1? guess you didn't, because thats where the "pro's" had a benefit that was insane. a non-strafejumping skulk was a dead one. even onos strafejumped, while being ducked. lerk had to pancake like being on serious drugs to evade effectively.

THAT was absurd movement to the max.
    a jump to the wall and immediate offjump in about 90 degrees sound pretty managable.
    <!--quoteo(post=1932630:date=May 2 2012, 07:19 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ May 2 2012, 07:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932630"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And they shouldn't be able to. Marine sprint speed is 6, skulk base speed is 7. Not to mention getting a few well timed wall jumps in as a skulk can boost your speed to some (currently) ridiculous speeds. Not to mention celerity, which as far as I know is still planned as an upgrade. And there's leap.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i was knowingly exagourating to make a point. the point is, if you are running behind a marine that hasnt noticed you yet it feels like ages until you finaly overcome the few meters he was in front.(normaly by the time you catch up, he reached his destination[base, group of marines, etc.] and you are ****ed.)
    and in that situation in which i find myself quite often you dont want to use walljump because it makes noise.

i agree, that walljumping is rediculous.(i know you didnt say that, just let me have the illusion)
  • PekermanPekerman Join Date: 2010-03-07 Member: 70876Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1932646:date=May 2 2012, 10:38 AM:name=Venatos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Venatos @ May 2 2012, 10:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932646"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->it has been many years that i played ns1, but <b>i dont remember bunnyhopping giving you a speedboost tbh.</b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    are you serious? bunnyhop was the "natural" skulk movement and it did give you a massive speedboost.
    marines on the other side had walk. i want walk back. sometimes you have to be silent.
  • BaTsBaTs Join Date: 2012-04-27 Member: 151165Members
    I didn't even know walljumping as a skulk increased movement speed until I read this thread. Yay learning!
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1932630:date=May 2 2012, 07:19 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ May 2 2012, 07:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932630"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The problem is, Summit is just one map example that is on the small side. Larger maps like Mineshaft are already hard for marines to get around in order to defend their RTs, with sprint. Removing sprint would be crippling on a map like that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Would it really be crippling though?
    Marines were slower in NS1 and the maps were larger. They held their RTs by defending key locations. I don't see why that couldn't also work in NS2.
    I think this is also a reason why they should bump up built harvester Hp a little to be honest, currently they feel far too fragile, making it the most effective strategy for marines to just rush into someplace and take out an extractor, at any cost. The issue will be even more apparent when 206 ships, since hive sight is being removed then, giving aliens no advanced warning other than drifters/commander. By the time the minimap indicates a marine is knifing a harvester, it's already too late.

(Mind you the hp of unbuilt harvesters is fine IMO, it's just the built ones that have become a little too fragile in 205. This is the first build in which you actually see aliens getting 'reslocked' now and then. Extremely annoying)
  • JayarisJayaris Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149321Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1932636:date=May 2 2012, 11:10 AM:name=Venatos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Venatos @ May 2 2012, 11:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932636"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->eh.. no? i will not learn some artificial movementmechanic that disrupts my natural skulkplay. i dont understand it and it makes no sense to me.

focus has to lie on the normal movement. if there is some way for the "pro´s" to get themselfs a little speedbuff by jumping around its fine with me, but it has to be small and can not be considdered normal movement.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wall-Jumping is massively useful and it's not hard to learn, I don't see why you would want to limit yourself for the sake of lofty principles.
    A did a little experiment a few days ago, to compare travel times and speeds of aliens and marines in NS1 and NS2. In NS1, running from hive room to hive room, skulks were approximately 50% faster than marines. This was along the exact same path, and without bhopping. In NS2, aliens were only about 18% faster, and this was with a moderate amount of wall jumping. No continuous speed-ups, but just jumping off walls if they were near to me.

Even then, bhopping was massively more effective than wall jumping is now. Whereas wall jumping offers maybe a 50% speed increase with a fair amount of practice, bhopping was easily doubling the speeds of people who had barely grasped the concept. Real pro bhoppers could go up to 3-4 times faster. I think its safe to say that, wall jumping or not, marines are much closer to the speed of aliens, which I don't think is a good thing.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2012
    would be nice if they made marine weapons more inaccurate after sprinting (the more of your "hidden stamina" you use, the less accurate your shots get). also bhopping making people 3-4x faster? wat.