Automatically socketed?

Classic319Classic319 Join Date: 2010-11-06 Member: 74789Members
<div class="IPBDescription">when dropping structures,</div>
I don't know exactly about that as i've never tried build 206 on my own, but you know, at least dropping Extractor sockets the powernode automatically,

so, i think it would be really silly when the powernode is automatically socketed when marines trying to drop Phase Gate in secret. Aliens will easily that tactic find it out with socketed powernode

is there any solution of it? or is it already solved?

Comments

• DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    wouldn't an alien attacking the unsocketed powernode be better than him trying to find what caused it to enable? gives more time for the marine to get the phase gate and power pack up..
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Use power packs if you want to be super sneaky
  • RyneRyne Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147408Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1931775:date=Apr 30 2012, 03:40 AM:name=Classic319)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Classic319 @ Apr 30 2012, 03:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1931775"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't know exactly about that as i've never tried build 206 on my own, but you know, at least dropping Extractor sockets the powernode automatically,

so, i think it would be really silly when the powernode is automatically socketed when marines trying to drop Phase Gate in secret. Aliens will easily that tactic find it out with socketed powernode

is there any solution of it? or is it already solved?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

To be honest, I would rather remove the whole empty socket feature and just have them all start with a broken power node that the marines have to rebuild.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->To be honest, I would rather remove the whole empty socket feature and just have them all start with a broken power node that the marines have to rebuild.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Agreed with this as well, that would make 'red light' the default setting in all rooms with power nodes, adding more atmosphere and immersion to the game (It'd truly feel as things went bad and marines have come in to reclaim the ship/planet/whatever)
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1931798:date=Apr 30 2012, 09:25 AM:name=Xarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xarius @ Apr 30 2012, 09:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1931798"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Agreed with this as well, that would make 'red light' the default setting in all rooms with power nodes, adding more atmosphere and immersion to the game (It'd truly feel as things went bad and marines have come in to reclaim the ship/planet/whatever)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1
  • RyneRyne Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147408Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1931798:date=Apr 30 2012, 05:25 AM:name=Xarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xarius @ Apr 30 2012, 05:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1931798"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Agreed with this as well, that would make 'red light' the default setting in all rooms with power nodes, adding more atmosphere and immersion to the game (It'd truly feel as things went bad and marines have come in to reclaim the ship/planet/whatever)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I had a whole write up on my thoughts on the power system that centered around this. Deleted it due to the hundreds of other write ups currently on the forums.

Basic premise was make power nodes only power lights and turrets. Have power nodes start in destroyed status, forcing marines to build them in each room. Make them really fragile since the only power lights and turrets.
    Sounds difficult to balance, on the one hand you can't have power nodes take too long to chew down just to turn off lights, on the other hand you wouldn't want all your sentries going down because the power node get staken out in mere seconds. I think there should also be some kind of alien advantage to non-powered rooms, i.e faster growing infestation for example.

The power node mechanic definitely needs a redesign, and I'm sure what is in currently isn't final but I do think there's a lot more important things to work on currently.
  • TinkerTinker Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14395Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1931804:date=Apr 30 2012, 09:47 AM:name=Xarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xarius @ Apr 30 2012, 09:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1931804"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->on the one hand you can't have power nodes take too long to chew down just to turn off lights,<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why not? Skulks waste loads of time doing that already with the power nodes current hp.
  • ssjsonic1ssjsonic1 Join Date: 2012-03-13 Member: 148729Members
    I agree with using power pack if you want to be sneaky.

Also, the entire reason they added the socketed / unsocketed idea was because the games were filled with red rooms most of the time. It sounds cool, but it really wasn't fun to play in. I'm very happy with the power system as it stands.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1931776:date=Apr 30 2012, 07:45 AM:name=DJPenguin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DJPenguin @ Apr 30 2012, 07:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1931776"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->wouldn't an alien attacking the unsocketed powernode be better than him trying to find what caused it to enable? gives more time for the marine to get the phase gate and power pack up..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

He meant that the aliens WILL KNOW that you dropped something by the powernode, only the stupid will actually try to attack it rather than look for the stealthy PG.

Perhaps have buildings only power off during the blackout and power back on during the red light? The red light still gives the aliens the edge in terms of visuals.
  • RoverRover blargh Join Date: 2003-09-23 Member: 21139Members
    I just drop the power nodes everywhere when I have a spare moment as comm.