Early Mass Onos - Problematic

BrackharBrackhar Santa Monica Join Date: 2003-10-26 Member: 22004Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Onos
While there's a lot of discussion going on about various different things in this build, I wanted to raise some visibility on a long term issue that has come from the de-linking of life forms from hives. This strategy doesn't come up often in pug games because it's not "fun," but I do worry that it is potentially uncounterable in the current build. The core of the idea is pretty simple - have three+ aliens on your team that never spend any res. Then, once all of them hit 75 res, get them to go Onos with a fourth or fifth going gorge as backup support. Given a reasonable back and forth game they might be able to pull this off as early as the 10 or 11 minute mark, leaving the marines likely with weapons 1 and maybe armor 2. This little congo line rushing a base is basically unstoppable at that tech level.

What are the community's thoughts on this? I really worry that, should this strategy be popularized, it'll effectively put a cap on the potential for the game. This problem previously was handled by having the hive restriction on Onos, thus allowing Marines to prevent the execution of the strat by effectively controlling territory. However, now with the alien's ability to go Onos at 1 hive and also get their second weapon executing this strategy is only a matter of when, not if.

Comments

• LPCLPC Join Date: 2002-04-07 Member: 384Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    agreed, I think Onos should move to hive 2, or increase the time or cost to get augmentation or something like that.

the onos shouldn't be weaker, just lessened in numbers in the early-mid game.
  • BoubouBoubou Join Date: 2004-03-02 Member: 27056Members
    youll get punish for saving all those res, if you win by having three guys going straight to onos, you would prolly win having them go fade or lerk anyway
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns/forums/index.php?showtopic=118028" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns/forums/ind...howtopic=118028</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

We've been over this in various threads really, and most players agree:
    - The onos comes out too early
    - Mass higher lifeforms are a problem

The onos, unlike the fade and lerk relies less on augmentation to be a formidable opponent. As a result, they should probably consider making the base onos weaker, requiring tech, maturation or a second hive to bring him to full strenght. (I've suggested a 'young onos' for early game, smaller model with less hp and armour, only with the proper tech or second hive or whatever does he become 'mature'.)

They're lowering the starting p.res to 10 most likely, that should delay the onos for a couple extra minutes in most games (buys marines crucial time), though it doesn't address the problem of mass onos. (much harder to address if UWE insists on holding on to the current resource model) They COULD consider putting a cap on the onos based on the amount of hives, i.e at 1 hive a team could only have 1 onos. But that's definitely not an ideal solution either.
  • BrackharBrackhar Santa Monica Join Date: 2003-10-26 Member: 22004Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Onos
    I'd generally hope they don't go with a hard limit, as that's typically pretty confusing for players to understand (and frustrating as well). A better change in my view may be requiring the alien comm to somehow research Onos access or, alternatively, researching an upgrade that increases the p-res pool of the aliens. It's going to be a fairly tough problem to solve as long as they want to keep hives delinked from lifeforms, so the best way to approach it in my review is to require an expenditure of TRes to get access to them.
  • RoverRover blargh Join Date: 2003-09-23 Member: 21139Members
    I probably sound like a broken record by now, but wouldn't hive armor scaling (like NS1 had) make this less of an issue?
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    I think fades and lerk are better than onos, specially 4 onii that block each others, so no it shouldn't be a big problem.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    This was a problem, I don't feel like it is anymore.

Pub game
    Your players save res by staying skulk until the +- 10 minute mark. The marine team aimlessly expands as they always do taking as much res as possible. The aliens will put up a fight to begin with, but skulks will rapidly become obsolete. Aliens will be unable to mount meaningful offensives against marine res points, meaning at least level 2 armour and weapons by +- 7 minutes (very easy in new patch). The alien team get their 3 to 4 Onos out with only carapace, against either level 3 armour or level 3 weapons. Because its a pub aliens are unlikely to be able to perfectly coordinate their Onos, though they will still be effective. However, 1 hive onos against properly teched marines just get utterly slaughtered. They aren't enough to turn the game at this point.

If you are able to hold more than 3 res points or take a second hive when 3+ of your players are saving to Onos, the marine team was just not good enough.

Competetive game
    Without lerks and fades the alien team is rushed within 6 minutes and loses their only hive. The end.
  • TinkerTinker Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14395Members
    All aliens at hive one except onos. I'd like to see some real value for the second hive. Go ahead and take the necessity out of it but now it's hardly more than a second spawn point.

I'm in a rush so you get less than 2 cents.
  • Unknown_SoldierUnknown_Soldier Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6395Members
    I, like always, disagree with the presumption that Onos come out too quickly.

I decided to do a little stat keeping on the competitive games today since the game seems to be balanced around that. The earliest an Onos ever saw the field was 10:02, and that was in a game where Marines were unable to put pressure on, or kill, any Alien RTs. Aliens had 5 RTs by that point. The average timing for an Onos assuming 3-4~ RT was around 12:00-16:00. If Marines were able to put pressure on Alien RTs and/or kill them off (very easy this build) then Onos were sometimes delayed an upwards of 20 minutes or not seen at all.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited April 2012
    In a lot of those games the players didn't immediately go onos at 75 res. I watched most of the games myself and often, particularly in those games you mention where they had 5 RTS or were 'stomping,' a player was sitting on 90 or even a 100 res before he went onos. The chart that has been floating around in numerous threads doesn't lie to be honest. But even if it was 8 or 10 minutes, or 12. I think even 12 minutes is too fast.

Another thing we need to keep into account when discussing how truly short the early game in NS 2 is, is that the shorter the early game the less room for errors there will also be. I.e there's only a small timeframe in which both sides (but mainly marines, let's be honest) have to act and act right to make sure it's not GG by the 10 minute mark. This just makes gameplay unenjoyable imo, a rush against the clock where the only true focus should be killing/ninjaing extractors all over the map (in a way, it forces marines to play like aliens). (rather than steadily pushing map control)

I'd say NS gameplay beyond the early game stage currently is incredibly predictable, incredibly cheesy, and just generally unenjoyable (even when you're on the winning side of things).
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1931684:date=Apr 29 2012, 10:01 PM:name=Xarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xarius @ Apr 29 2012, 10:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1931684"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The chart that has been floating around in numerous threads doesn't lie to be honest.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The chart doesn't account for time spent on RTs previous to x number of RTs. For example when you read 4 RTs on that chart, it doesn't account for time spent at 1, 2, or 3 RTs. This build especially where Alien RTs are so easy to kill, there's no reason Marines shouldn't be playing aggressively and taking down the RTs early. We saw two examples today of Aliens being res locked and losing the game because of RTs being killed (420 vs Transcend Game #2, 420 vs All-In Game #3).

Also I only recall there being one game where a Skulk saved up to 90-100 Res first (it was omegaweapon I believe), and that wasn't the game I was referring to where one popped out at 10 minutes.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I will concede that the weaker starting harvesters definitely delayed the res income - to a degree.
    Its not like its ever easier to hold RTs in comp matches compared to pub tho.
    And this is why timings should be based around the earliest possible-wait-wait... why are we having this discussion again? There are TWO topics just like this one on the front visible page of general discussion? whew close one..
    <!--quoteo(post=1931744:date=Apr 30 2012, 04:26 AM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Apr 30 2012, 04:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1931744"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I will concede that the weaker starting harvesters definitely delayed the res income - to a degree.
    Its not like its ever easier to hold RTs in comp matches compared to pub tho.
    And this is why timings should be based around the earliest possible-wait-wait... why are we having this discussion again? There are TWO topics just like this one on the front visible page of general discussion? whew close one..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Probably because it's the hot balance topic.