Welcome to Squad Five

Comments

• Evil_bOb1Evil_bOb1 Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 938Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1930926:date=Apr 27 2012, 09:40 PM:name=[=Alex=])--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ([=Alex=] @ Apr 27 2012, 09:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1930926"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    "Summit. Turtle. Overmind. Radiance. Insight. Translations. The list goes on: Content created by the community That Natural Selection 2 is shaping in vital ways."

There are only 3 maps in progress (functional and complete), created by members of this community: ns2_summit, ns2_turtle, and mine ns2_triad. It is never mentioned or taken into account, it's really sad that so many months of work are not appreciated.

I'll see what I can do about my project.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think the best thing you can do for your project is get in touch on steam with swalk and all the other gather guys, so you can be there some times. If you are there they (and I if i am there) will surely have some games on triad. Spectating the first games on turtle really helped me out to make it evolve and more fun. Playing it was even more inspiring!

Get on the ensl.org gather! There is always people there especially on week ends and lets triad! It will give you a fresh view on the map and how you want to make it evolve! Sign up on the gather system this WE and you can be sure we will have loads of games on it with you :D

Edit: checking up now there are people on the gather waiting for a few more players. The gather works this way, people sign up for a game, and when we have 12 people, we pick captains who then pick their teams, we join a server, spend some time fixing our team's strategy and then we game, then we regame! switching sides with the same teams! It is surely some of my best experiences on NS2 as the games are organized and with good team spirit an the best of people! Get there and have some games on your map! :)
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1930926:date=Apr 28 2012, 12:40 PM:name=[=Alex=])--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ([=Alex=] @ Apr 28 2012, 12:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1930926"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    it's really sad that so many months of work are not appreciated.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Alex - your work is appreciated more than you know. The new Squad 5 icons are designed for precisely this situation - Guys like you who work really hard and deserver recognition. We will be doing our first round of icons next Friday - sit tight :)

For everyone confused about what the purpose of Squad Five, from the OP:

"If you make a sustained, positive, and reasonable effort to support the promotion of NS2 and / or the vibrancy of its community, and document the effort in the squad five system, you will be awarded the blue icon."

Any effort supporting the promotion of NS2 or the vibrancy or its community. That could be a code fix, a server admin mod, a fan-movie, an NS2 launch party, the possibilities are endless and you guys can definitely think of better stuff than we can!
  • CricketCricket Join Date: 2009-05-31 Member: 67603Members
    Sounds very cool, definitely interested in this. Love the way you guys get the community involved
  • CoolCookieCooksCoolCookieCooks Pretty Girl Join Date: 2003-05-18 Member: 16446Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation
    I'd love to get involved, it's a shame I dont really have the time to lead a project of my own anymore.
  • haymohaymo Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34040Members, NS1 Playtester
    I feel like I should have copyrighted my NS1 team 'Squad-5' which I think Hugh has based this from! We were #1 in Aus for a long time, and we loved the game till the death :)
  • korvokorvo Join Date: 2009-11-19 Member: 69427Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1931001:date=Apr 28 2012, 09:49 AM:name=CoolCookieCooks)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CoolCookieCooks @ Apr 28 2012, 09:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1931001"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd love to get involved, it's a shame I dont really have the time to lead a project of my own anymore.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Same here. And there are a lot of <strike>other</strike> <i>more</i> important "real live" projects and just no time to do anything... I wasn't on vacation for years...

[Update] I'm without time, but not without power. I've started a <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=118154" target="_blank">Flyer Project</a>
  • DghelneshiDghelneshi Aims to surpass Fana in post edits. Join Date: 2011-11-01 Member: 130634Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2012
    Thanks a lot for this Hugh, this is absolutely awesome!
    Being mentioned alongside such huge names as Psyk0man and Player is an honor. :)
  • funkoolowfunkoolow Join Date: 2003-04-28 Member: 15917Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    ready to serve on the italian www.natural-selection.it website since feb 2011!
    not much time to update but i'm available for any help as soon as the italian community gorws a little :)
  • SkymanderXSkymanderX Green Marine - The Few, The Proud, The Green. Join Date: 2011-07-29 Member: 113006Members
    well, if anyone wants to help out with a short film you can put a post on the project's thread
  • StopSpazzingStopSpazzing Join Date: 2005-02-26 Member: 42529Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1930844:date=Apr 27 2012, 04:20 PM:name=Angry Hillbilly 2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Angry Hillbilly 2 @ Apr 27 2012, 04:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1930844"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->*cough* plush *cough* *cough* gorge *cough* promotion *cough* :P (im actually ill atm with a bad cough so I have an excuse :P )<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Been thinking about that...seriously checking prices for gorge plush dolls right now...Minimum required is 1000 units...

<a href="http://www.customplush.com/" target="_blank">http://www.customplush.com/</a>

Probably will be 1-2k

Pre-orders anyone...lol

But seriously....I'm getting a quote from them. Btw, any idea of the ideal size? 8in length by 3.5in wide?

Sent them a custom application with images and video from:

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2009/8/gorge_reveal" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2009/8/gorge_reveal</a>
  • PaladinDudePaladinDude Join Date: 2006-12-04 Member: 58881Members, Constellation
    edited April 2012
    Count me in.

+1 for Gorge plush as well!
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    Ideal size in american units? I'd say at least a foot long and six inches across at its wisest point. Ideally something like 18" across from snout to tail, 12" from spine to bottom of foot? Maybe that would come out a bit large...

You should start a project thread to get feedback on sizes.
  • sirnekosirneko Join Date: 2012-03-30 Member: 149687Members
  • StopSpazzingStopSpazzing Join Date: 2005-02-26 Member: 42529Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1931215:date=Apr 28 2012, 10:17 AM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Apr 28 2012, 10:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1931215"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ideal size in american units? I'd say at least a foot long and six inches across at its wisest point. Ideally something like 18" across from snout to tail, 12" from spine to bottom of foot? Maybe that would come out a bit large...

You should start a project thread to get feedback on sizes.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=118165" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=118165</a>
  • ixnayixnay Join Date: 2012-04-14 Member: 150449Members
    I aspire to be squad 5 gold.

I will travel to the uwe office and make movies on the dev team in my bid to get this amazing gold number graphic

amen
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'll see what I can do to be squad 5 material. Undergrad is wrapping up in the next week or so, I'll be more free then to help out! Love this idea btw
  • YbarraYbarra Join Date: 2012-03-29 Member: 149621Members, Squad Five Blue
    Gorge and a plushie of Hugh!
  • George JetsonGeorge Jetson Join Date: 2012-04-29 Member: 151276Members
    I'd like to make some videos and do some live streaming.

I'm available to spectate/record games too, I can't quite stream and play with the current build but I'd be able to spectate & stream/announce.

(I can get 100fps but just opening xsplit drops me to 30-40fps, and then turning on streaming goes 15-20fps. I'm pretty sure this is mostly an xsplit thing though.)
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    I would like to see a list of known bugs that UWE is currently not looking in to so that the community can coordinate and tackle helping to improve NS2. I know I'd likely be interested in using some of my free time to do some bug fixes / performance optimizations / small features that are lower on the radar and priority list for UWE.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    edited April 2012
    Also I would absolutely buy a Gorge or Lerk plushie. Especially if it had a glowing belly. (Gorge Nightlight?)
  • nonesocruelnonesocruel Join Date: 2009-08-29 Member: 68647Members
    modding in self destructing marine structures for aoe dmg incase I dont feel like recycling!@!@!@ heeeellll yaaaaa
  • CloveClove Join Date: 2007-01-24 Member: 59739Members
    Wish I had the tenacity to be a mapper :)
    Good luck with this, you guys

I'll keep an eye out for a Gorgie Kickstarter too.

-A
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    where can i dl the soundtrack of the video :)?
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    here: <a href="http://soundcloud.com/first-sun/squad-five" target="_blank">http://soundcloud.com/first-sun/squad-five</a>

there's also a thread about it somewhere deep in the forum.
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    Might be a silly question, but are the tools available yet for download to start custom work?

I looked around for stickies, but didn't see any
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1931943:date=Apr 30 2012, 08:47 PM:name=MaximumSquid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MaximumSquid @ Apr 30 2012, 08:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1931943"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Might be a silly question, but are the tools available yet for download to start custom work?

I looked around for stickies, but didn't see any<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It depends on the custom work you're referring to. NS2 ships with all the tools we use to make the game - The level editor, the cinematic editor, Decoda, and the Builder tool. Just open up LaunchPad or look in your NS2 folder.

If you're talking about making custom art assets like props then you'll also need an image editor and a 3D modelling program (e.g. Photoshop and 3DS Max).
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    edited April 2012
    <u><b>Insane:</b></u>

yeah I figured since I couldn't find them that they were probably in fact under my nose

I'm sure the Gimp would work fine for editing, but do you know of any free 3D modeling programs?

-
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1932041:date=May 1 2012, 12:56 AM:name=MaximumSquid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MaximumSquid @ May 1 2012, 12:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932041"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->do you know of any free 3D modeling programs?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Blender. <a href="http://www.blender.org/" target="_blank">http://www.blender.org/</a>
  • arualarual Join Date: 2005-03-12 Member: 44989Members
    Hmm, who mixed the dubstep audio on the Squad Five Launch video? :)
  • DghelneshiDghelneshi Aims to surpass Fana in post edits. Join Date: 2011-11-01 Member: 130634Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1932253:date=May 1 2012, 06:20 PM:name=arual)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (arual @ May 1 2012, 06:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932253"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hmm, who mixed the dubstep audio on the Squad Five Launch video? :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--quoteo(post=1931771:date=Apr 30 2012, 12:57 PM:name=Laosh'Ra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Laosh'Ra @ Apr 30 2012, 12:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1931771"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->here: <a href="http://soundcloud.com/first-sun/squad-five" target="_blank">http://soundcloud.com/first-sun/squad-five</a>

there's also a thread about it somewhere deep in the forum.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's five posts above yours. :P