So what's happening with the onos?

XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
edited April 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
Before PAX it was established that the onos was OP, i.e when it came out as early as it did, it was completely uncounterable. UWE promised us they would deliver a fix after PAX, but in fact no fix was delivered. The progress tracker says nothing about this issue any more, the only thing that's listed is a redesign of gore. Did UWE just forget about this issue? Are they still working on something big? Because to be fair, the onos in its current state is still as broken as ever, slowing alien expansion has done nothing to address this. In addition, the only thing the onos hide nerf achieved was to make the onos worse lategame, as it stands currently the onos is far too strong early but will fall off late game

A gore redesign will do little to address the issue of the onos because:
The onos is too strong not necessarily because of its abilities, but particularly because early game a good onos is impossible to take down and requires multiple marines if not an entire team (or sentryspam) to keep at bay. Even with a single onos the aliens can wreck marine map control entirely, something non-augmented lerks and fades definitely can't. When multiple players decide to go onos at the same time at this stage of the game it's just GG. Even if gore no longer had that annoying knockback, the onos would still be a far too powerful lifeform early game.
I.e unlike the lerk and fade, the onos relies less on his abilities. (A non augmented onos is almost just as big of a problem as an augmented one, where as for example a fade without blink is significantly easier to deal with)

Easiest Solution:
- Make the onos weaker until hive has matured (or a tech is researched) I.e Without a mature hive the onos will have less armour/hp like in NS 1 (make the onos smaller/visibly weaker to represent this, easy fix) This will allow proper scaling of the onos throughout the game.
- Alternatively, cut p.res gain/starting p.res to delay higher lifeforms from coming out as quickly as they do currently (buys marines some necessary time)
- Tie amount of onos per team amount of (mature) hives. (This would not fix the issue of a single onos early in the game however, so it may still have to be combined with one of the above)

Thoughts?

Comments

• RoverRover blargh Join Date: 2003-09-23 Member: 21139Members
    edited April 2012
    Though the design doc states that it's counter-intuitive for armor strength to scale with the number of hives, I still think that's a good way to scale alien strength (and onos in particular, obviously).

EDIT: Also, how is it any easier for new players to know the rifle does normal damage, pistol/shotgun do light, etc?
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
    The onos is a cesspit of frustration right now.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2012
    Onos' damage against structures has been significantly reduced. They're usually just damage sponges now.

The only possible tweak they need is a small armor reduction, so they're more vulnerable without support.

After witnessing Onos frequently going down to focused fire (both in organised and pub matches) over about 10 games, I don't think they're overpowered anymore.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Onos' damage against structures has been significantly reduced. They're usually just damage sponges now.

The only possible tweak they need is a small armor reduction, so they're more vulnerable without support.

After witnessing Onos frequently going down to focused fire (both in organised and pub matches) over about 10 games, I don't think they're overpowered anymore.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Strongly disagree, onos going down to focussed fire only happens when the onos was dumb enough to charge into a base unsupported. A good onos won't easily go down, since he will pick his engagements carefully. Not to mention that if 3 or more players go onos (which is a perfectly viable tactic for aliens) it is a guaranteed GG. One onos may go down to focussed fire but 3 or 4 will just stomp an entire team. The only reason why we do not see this every game is because it is UTTER cheese and most players don't want to win games that way. (So instead they opt for fades or lerks)

In addition, nerfing the onos stats even more will just result in the onos being worse lategame when he REALLY needs to scale. I think the argument that armour/hp scaling with hives/tech is unintuitive is nonsense, and you can easily represent a weaker onos visually as well.
  • FreemantleFreemantle Join Date: 2002-06-16 Member: 783Members
    edited April 2012
    The Onos is not overpowered. Even with Carapace, it is pretty easy for 3 marines to take down an Onos if they aren't grouped together.
  • AegisXIAegisXI Join Date: 2012-02-11 Member: 144985Members
    I don't really think ppl don't go onos cuz it's a cheesy tactic to win, but because they have no res for it. Also ppl would go lerk to win a game with a cheesy tactics cuz they don't die and the bilebomb does its job better then a onos can. Onos are pretty much damage sponge, an if unchecked will just wreck the marines.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2012
    No. Good onos is not easy to kill. Stomp is pretty crazy and the animation is hard to react to in order to dodge. e.g. Jumping and using stomp at the same time will mess up the animation timings and your stunned before you realise. Would also have thought we'd atleast have seen a quick fix to stomp so that it doesn't go through walls etc.

Not to mention the ability to charge stomp and go around the corner to insta stun marines or 180 degree stomps when running away.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also ppl would go lerk to win a game with a cheesy tactics cuz they don't die and the bilebomb does its job better then a onos can.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--> Bilebomb requires hive maturation at least (though that's currently too fast and too cheap atm), onos doesn't require anything but 75 p.res. If everyone in an alien team was smart enough to save p.res and instantly go onos all games would end in aliens winning pretty easily (Since you can get onos 8 - 10 min into the game on most maps).

Good luck countering 5+ onos at that stage of the game. (I've seen it happen with just 3 even, and that was already gamebreaking.) The problem exists for fades and lerks as well I suppose (Entire team rushing a lifeform, 5+ fades) but that can be addressed through augmentation (slowing the speed and upping the cost/cutting the tech into individual abilities to research would make those kind of strategies far less viable since they would occur later in the game... Unlike the onos problem
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    edited April 2012
    Wait for full tech tree perhaps? Or are you asking for temporary nerfs for the sake of balance in the beta?
    edited April 2012
    Full tech tree? You mean exo and shift? I don't see how that tech is going to be relative at all, unless they allow marines to rush EXOs 5 min into the game. (Which too would be utter cheese and is rather unlikely since they have to go through T.res tech to unlock the P.res mechs where as onos only requires the p.res)

The game not being feature complete is a poor argument for not balancing it.
  • paradoxumparadoxum United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-03-05 Member: 148193Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1929246:date=Apr 24 2012, 07:03 AM:name=Rover)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rover @ Apr 24 2012, 07:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1929246"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Though the design doc states that it's counter-intuitive for armor strength to scale with the number of hives<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

why is that counter intuitive? if anything it's the complete opposite, why WOULDN'T players expect to get stronger after getting more hives? tell me someone else sees this, I feel like i'm taking crazy pills
  • SoilSoil Join Date: 2012-01-15 Member: 140617Members
    edited April 2012
    The only thing wrong with onos is thesound of it.. (edit: gore) Marines cry all the time in publics about Onos being too OP.. Well wanna know the reason why? Because you've spent all your time doin jack in the base/around RT's waiting for commands - I see this a lot in publics - Marines moanin about aliens OP'ness, yet I NEVER (or hardly ever) see marines genuinely pressuring alien RT's? they just let them sit back and farm - Yeah the stomp is annoying, well.. Jump and you avoid it. Don't travel alone. Don't travel in groups, cover the marine infront of you, don't enter small hallways without a scan etc etc. Onos really isn't OP and 3 /4 marines can easily take him out, and if he has a Gorge healing him, kill the gorge and then go on the onos. :3 If onos comes you spread away from each other then focus fire on him and its win :D
  • SaschaSascha Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72444Members
    edited April 2012
    Maybe we should just wait for the full tech tree of both sides. Maybe for example with the exosuit the onos will not anymore a giant problem then currently. I'm more than sure Unknown Worlds know what they do.
  • SolitarioSolitario Join Date: 2006-10-29 Member: 58097Members
    if it's strength scales with the number of hives, I think it's fine!
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    thats cool, weaken it, dont wait for the final marine gun upgrade (which will make onos/fade useless anyway). its fun to wait 3-4 patches to undo a change that shouldnt have been done anyway.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1929301:date=Apr 24 2012, 04:22 PM:name=Sascha)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sascha @ Apr 24 2012, 04:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1929301"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm more than sure Unknown Worlds know what they do.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Suddenly, multiple commanders appear!
  • meb3meb3 Join Date: 2011-06-23 Member: 106078Members
    remove it from the game completely
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    But if you remove the onos, what will Maximus do?

The onos was always the odd lifeform out, its no better now.

Even i have no clue what to do with it for my mod.
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1929578:date=Apr 25 2012, 10:28 AM:name=xDragon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xDragon @ Apr 25 2012, 10:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1929578"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But if you remove the onos, what will Maximus do?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    HAHA, that guy is literally famous.
    edited April 2012
    I never implied I didn't have faith in UWE, but I would like to know why this important issue seems to have disappeared off of their radar. Also, like I stated earlier in this thread, it's not something 'feature completion' will magically solve. Granted onos is but a small part of the larger issue that is strong lifeforms (+ augmentation) coming out too quickly and in too large numbers, it's an important one none the less. (And one that can't be solved by just nerfing augmentation)
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1929229:date=Apr 24 2012, 02:14 PM:name=Xarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xarius @ Apr 24 2012, 02:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1929229"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->- Make the onos weaker until hive has matured (or a tech is researched) I.e Without a mature hive the onos will have less armour/hp like in NS 1 (make the onos smaller/visibly weaker to represent this, easy fix) This will allow proper scaling of the onos throughout the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I like this. Expecially if it was visiably shown. A smaller onos with less of the hard shell on its frond and as the hives mature they get bigger and the armour shows up more untill it looks like it is now.
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    Isn't Onos Greek for "Burden"
  • serpicoserpico Join Date: 2012-02-12 Member: 145150Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1929229:date=Apr 24 2012, 08:14 AM:name=Xarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xarius @ Apr 24 2012, 08:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1929229"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Before PAX it was established that the onos was OP, i.e when it came out as early as it did, it was completely uncounterable. UWE promised us they would deliver a fix after PAX, but in fact no fix was delivered.... Did UWE just forget about this issue?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Forget? Didn't they reduce his armor, reduce stun duration on gore, and reduce his damage to structures to 1/3 of it's previous value? Onos is significantly weaker now, two Oni working together used to be able to almost insta-kill a CC.

Get with the times man, all the cool kids know Lerk is the OP alien now. Yesterday I saved my resources from the beginning of the game, spending none, wanting to go fast Onos. Lerk BB rush ended the game when I was still at about 70 res.
  • TheIcarusKidTheIcarusKid Join Date: 2012-03-23 Member: 149258Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1929688:date=Apr 25 2012, 10:20 AM:name=serpico)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (serpico @ Apr 25 2012, 10:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1929688"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Get with the times man, all the cool kids know Lerk is the OP alien now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hipster aliens liked Lerk before it was cool.

Onos OP? That was sooooooo March 2012.
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Forget? Didn't they reduce his armor, reduce stun duration on gore, and reduce his damage to structures to 1/3 of it's previous value? Onos is significantly weaker now, two Oni working together used to be able to almost insta-kill a CC.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The problem with every single one of those changes is that they don't address the need for scaling, i.e they make the onos only marginally weaker early game and significantly weaker later on. As long as his hp/armour is as massive as it is currently early game, 2 - 3 players saving for onos can win a game for aliens in under 15 minutes, without even needing augmentation.