Yaaa Haa! I've Found It!

uranium_235uranium_235 Join Date: 2002-11-20 Member: 9478Banned
edited December 2002 in NS General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">The problem with Kharaa and Fronteirsmen</div> Marines don't work as team = Assured Loss
Marines work as team = Possible Win

Kharra dont' work as team = Possible Win
Kharra work as team = Assured Win

The only exception is when one team has more unskilled players then others. I personally find something terribly wrong with this.

Comments

• Spyder_MonkeySpyder_Monkey Vampire-Ninja-Monkey Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 8Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor

There's no such thing as an assured win. Lots of things come in to play. Far too many to be considered by the human mind.
  • El_MariachiEl_Mariachi Join Date: 2002-12-06 Member: 10521Members
    I don't mean to be a **obscenity**, but I've seen about 200 posts with people complaining/raving about how easy it is for marines to win a map in five minutes.

It goes both ways.
  • MaherGMaherG Join Date: 2002-11-17 Member: 9104Members
    why do ppl forget the main factor of all fps....ping!
  • El_MariachiEl_Mariachi Join Date: 2002-12-06 Member: 10521Members
  • elimelim Join Date: 2002-11-17 Member: 9006Members, Constellation
    my marine team had um nothing and we won when they had 3 hives...
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    edited December 2002
    Ah ping. I have a lot of online experience, let me share something. Ping does not make a player. If you are an avarage player you will be avarage regardless of your ping. If you are a Great player with an avarage ping you are still a great player. If you suck and have a great ping, you will still suck. If you are a very experienced player, with good skills, you will notice a difference with high pings and low pings but it won't really hamper you that much unless it is a DRASTIC difference. The biggest detriment to online gaming is not a high ping but high packet loss. I live on the East Coast and my clans server is on the West Coast, I routinely ping in the 200 range and have absolutely no problems competing there. Packet Loss, the real killer.

Oh BTW, If more commanders spent less on turrets and more on upgrades, the disparity would slip away into nothingnes.
  • SniperSkunkSniperSkunk Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7644Members
    edited December 2002
    <!--QuoteBegin--El Mariachi+Dec 19 2002, 03:13 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (El Mariachi @ Dec 19 2002, 03:13 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I don't mean to be a **obscenity**, but I've seen about 200 posts with people complaining/raving about how easy it is for marines to win a map in five minutes.

It goes both ways.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It depends.

Marine rushes can be brutal, especially if the marines get a phase gate up in the hive. A good commander who gets his marines to rush in a group and set up a phase with 3-4 IP's at the main base, can take a hive easily. The skulks can't spawn fast enough to push them back.

OTOH, once the aliens get fade, the marines have to really struggle to keep up, as nothing short of heavy armor can really stand up to fades. Regular marines die too fast, as do jetpackers. The fades are really the decisive factor for the aliens. It doesn't GUARANTEE a win... but it does make life a b***h for marines.
  • NSCentralNSCentral Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9527Members
    In my opinion, the team commander is the biggest factor in marine wins. The marine team can only win if the commander is experienced and a good leader, otherwise it gets much harder, even if you have a group of 1337 pro soldiers.

Thats what I've viewed so far...
  • PraevusPraevus Join Date: 2002-11-13 Member: 8424Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--.eLiMiNaToR.+Dec 19 2002, 03:22 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (.eLiMiNaToR. @ Dec 19 2002, 03:22 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->my marine team had um nothing and we won when they had 3 hives...<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    During that round, we're you smoking some very strong pot, of some sort?
  • SerukoSeruko Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4891Members
    edited December 2002
    <!--QuoteBegin--MMZ>Torak+Dec 19 2002, 08:27 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (MMZ>Torak @ Dec 19 2002, 08:27 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Ah ping.  I have a lot of online experience, let me share something.  Ping does not make a player.  If you are an avarage player you will be avarage regardless of your ping.  If you are a Great player with an avarage ping you are still a great player.  If you suck and have a great ping, you will still suck.  If you are a very experienced player, with good skills, you will notice a difference with high pings and low pings but it won't really hamper you that much unless it is a DRASTIC difference.  The biggest detriment to online gaming is not a high ping but high packet loss.  I live on the East Coast and my clans server is on the West Coast, I routinely ping in the 200 range and have absolutely no problems competing there.  Packet Loss, the real killer.

Oh BTW, If more commanders spent less on turrets and more on upgrades, the disparity would slip away into nothingnes.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

really depends on the FPS, ever play RedFaction MP? 50 ping was the diffrence between L33t ownage and Suxor's
  • SoBe_DragonSoBe_Dragon Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10465Members
    i agree, there is no such thing as an assured win. Too much depends on the players that are in the game, and what they can accomplish. However, if the marines dont listen to the commander, and cant perform, then yes, that is an assured loss. But thats in every game...
  • J3UJ3U Join Date: 2002-11-13 Member: 8497Members
    I've played several really intense games where one team thought they had no chance, then came back, then got owned again, then came back. there really is no such thing as an assured win. if the majority of players on both teams are good, and the not so good ones don't argue, play rambo, or fight over gorging, and instead do their best and take the advice of the more experienced players, a match can be far from one sided and last 3+ hours. honestly the only real issue with balance is on larger servers in regards to res distribution and respawn for aliens, which actually gives them more of a dissadvantage. but 16 players or less if everybody does their job the game can be everything BUT one sided
  • Marik_SteeleMarik_Steele To rule in hell... Join Date: 2002-11-20 Member: 9466Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--Seruko+Dec 19 2002, 11:02 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Seruko @ Dec 19 2002, 11:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin--MMZ>Torak+Dec 19 2002, 08:27 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (MMZ>Torak @ Dec 19 2002, 08:27 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Ah ping.  I have a lot of online experience, let me share something.  Ping does not make a player.  If you are an avarage player you will be avarage regardless of your ping.  If you are a Great player with an avarage ping you are still a great player.  If you suck and have a great ping, you will still suck.  If you are a very experienced player, with good skills, you will notice a difference with high pings and low pings but it won't really hamper you that much unless it is a DRASTIC difference.  The biggest detriment to online gaming is not a high ping but high packet loss.  I live on the East Coast and my clans server is on the West Coast, I routinely ping in the 200 range and have absolutely no problems competing there.  Packet Loss, the real killer.

Oh BTW, If more commanders spent less on turrets and more on upgrades, the disparity would slip away into nothingnes.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

really depends on the FPS, ever play RedFaction MP? 50 ping was the diffrence between L33t ownage and Suxor's<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    true, it does depend on the FPS. Thank the makers that NS doesn't have Red Faction's rail driver. Sniping through walls makes better-ping players more deadly...but having the sniper scope of the thing let you SEE through walls, too? Jeez...

Back on-topic, my opinion on this matter agrees with SpyderMonkey's. I like monkeys...(wait, if I'm going to start being this random, I should hurry my rear over to the off-topic forums...)