Flamethrowers burning off bilebomb.

ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
<div class="IPBDescription">Give Flamers more utility?</div>As it is now, Bilebomb is incredibly frustrating to deal with because not only does it stack damage over time, but it's impossible to repair structures when the effect is active.

The Flamethrower's role is currently focussed on disabling alien abilities and purging their infestation, I think it would fit within this archetype to also burn off Bile from team-mates and structures. I'm unsure whether it should require a sustained focus from the flames or be instantaneous such as when dealing with lerk spores, as it may be too powerful of a counter if it works instantly but too weak otherwise.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Champlo0Champlo0 Join Date: 2012-04-17 Member: 150617Members
    This doesn't solve the bile bomb issue, flamethrowers are an extremely rare priority. Most games don't even have them. They also cost 30 rez, 30 rez just to counter one ability, and the flamethrower is also very inefficient at actually fighting aliens (that I have seen). For this implement to work, they would need their pres cost lowered and their other applications increased in utility. Overall, it's a step in the right direction, but doesn't suffice a proper solution to the problem.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    Flamethrowers already counter BB. They light Lerks on fire, stopping them from dropping any more bombs after their energy runs out.
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1928379:date=Apr 22 2012, 02:31 PM:name=Champlo0)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Champlo0 @ Apr 22 2012, 02:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1928379"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This doesn't solve the bile bomb issue, flamethrowers are an extremely rare priority. Most games don't even have them. They also cost 30 rez, 30 rez just to counter one ability, and the flamethrower is also very inefficient at actually fighting aliens (that I have seen). For this implement to work, they would need their pres cost lowered and their other applications increased in utility. Overall, it's a step in the right direction, but doesn't suffice a proper solution to the problem.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They've already discussed making all marine weapons cost 25 res, which I agree with. I know that flamethrowers are an extremely rare priority, and I'm trying to make them less so by increasing their functionality as a support tool. We don't want the FT to become more like the death laser it once was, so we should try and think of ways for it to become useful besides increased dps.

<!--quoteo(post=1928382:date=Apr 22 2012, 02:50 PM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Apr 22 2012, 02:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1928382"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Flamethrowers already counter BB. They light Lerks on fire, stopping them from dropping any more bombs after their energy runs out.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Lerk flies through and bilebombs until out of energy, gets out and extinguishes itself. Rinse and repeat. Catching a lerk on fire in this situation(which is the one I'm referring to and what's causing the most issues at this time) doesn't really change much.
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    +1: i like this and it is even reasonably intuitive. FT has a supportish-role imo and this would fit in nicely.
    one might be worried about how much the FT counters the lerk then (as it also burns their gas) but it's range is very limited so you can often keep your distance and try to spike the marine away before doing anything else.
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1928415:date=Apr 22 2012, 06:39 PM:name=Laosh'Ra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Laosh'Ra @ Apr 22 2012, 06:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1928415"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->+1: i like this and it is even reasonably intuitive. FT has a supportish-role imo and this would fit in nicely.
    one might be worried about how much the FT counters the lerk then (as it also burns their gas) but it's range is very limited so you can often keep your distance and try to spike the marine away before doing anything else.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks, and I'd gladly trade burning away Gas for Bilebomb.
  • paradoxumparadoxum United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-03-05 Member: 148193Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1928379:date=Apr 21 2012, 09:31 PM:name=Champlo0)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Champlo0 @ Apr 21 2012, 09:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1928379"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This doesn't solve the bile bomb issue, flamethrowers are an extremely rare priority. Most games don't even have them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

this is what the guy is trying to address here by giving them more utility and giving people a REASON to get them.

I like the idea, I think we're also still waiting for flamers to be able to burn lerk gas away aren't we?

Also it would be cool if they burnt infestation away aswell (but it would regrow after 10~secs or so if the cyst is still alive) just because it would be a neat effect.
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I like the idea, I think we're also still waiting for flamers to be able to burn lerk gas away aren't we?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    this is already implemented and working, i tested it out.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also it would be cool if they burnt infestation away aswell<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    i think this is planned since ages. my guess is that they wait for the dynamic infestation to make it into the game before implementing any kind of interaction with the flamethrower.
    in the meantime, i'd appreciate it if they made cysts very weak against flamers so they'd live up to the role they were given early on.

as a side note, burning whips cannot whack grenades back.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    Did someone say that turning a <b>flamethrower</b> full blast onto a teammate is intuitive?

Look I know its a game and all, and realism comes after gameplay, but honestly, this is one step away from a gun that shoots healing bullets.
    What I was trying to convey in my earlier post is that, even with this addition, it still won't make flamethrowers that desirable enough to actually get them. Even if you lower their cost to 25 prez, thats only 5 prez, which isn't much of a decrease. Unless a large amount is added I would have to argue to make them cost 20 prez. A major buff you could add to the FT would be to make all of the lerk spores connected to the spores on fire ignite, not all at once but in a fast speed that spreads from the original blast, which would ultimately ignite an unaware lerk; it would, however, be counterable because you could toggle your spores as a lerk to isolate the burns. The buff could also make it so that it ignites anything in its path including aliens and removes bile bombed structures. If you added that along with your original suggestion I think it would be sufficient, however just letting it remove bile alone isn't enough for the (currently) most expensive item for a marine to buy and not even be able to fight an alien well in terms of DPS.
  • SolitarioSolitario Join Date: 2006-10-29 Member: 58097Members
    I like this Idea, but way better would be reducing the cost from 30 to 25!
  • paradoxumparadoxum United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-03-05 Member: 148193Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1928440:date=Apr 22 2012, 04:05 AM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Apr 22 2012, 04:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1928440"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Did someone say that turning a <b>flamethrower</b> full blast onto a teammate is intuitive?

Look I know its a game and all, and realism comes after gameplay, but honestly, this is one step away from a gun that shoots healing bullets.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

what is realism in a sci-fi game? just pretend the marines armour is made of nanites that shield them from the flames
  • fenrir1179fenrir1179 Join Date: 2011-11-05 Member: 131263Members
    + + 11
    very geeeewd idea that would solve alot of problems for marines...
    bad news for me.. i play on the marine side or the lerk side... :) i doo like bile bombing
    again great idea
  • culpritculprit Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33527Members, Constellation
    This seems like a fairly intuitive feature to add to the FT. It would 'evaporate' the bile from the affected structure. Perhaps limiting it to only structures (arcs and macs) would be best. This would remove the 'torch my teammate' strangeness. Really would slot the FT into the 'purge the organic life from our pristine technology' theme. Just a single burst on a structure would stop the BB DoT and allow welding to be effective again. The 'base support' player could even run around with a FT and welder and act as a pyro/fire team support.
  • SideOfBeefSideOfBeef Join Date: 2012-03-04 Member: 148064Members
    Just gotta throw in a +1 for this idea, it just feels right.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2012
    Marines already have enough hard counters against alien tech. Let's not add another one.

Adding a hard counter to BB would make it even more difficult to crack a Marine turtle.
  • SideOfBeefSideOfBeef Join Date: 2012-03-04 Member: 148064Members
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1929539:date=Apr 25 2012, 12:06 AM:name=twiliteblue)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (twiliteblue @ Apr 25 2012, 12:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1929539"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Marines already have enough hard counters against alien tech. Let's not add another one.

Adding a hard counter to BB would make it even more difficult to crack a Marine turtle.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You're kinda missing the point of "hard counter." Marines don't just research flamethrower and make BB obsolete. To stop one lerk at one base, you need a marine to purchase a more expensive flamethrower and dedicate an equal amount of time to clearing the buildings. This isn't a hard counter, it's a response, one which the game currently lacks.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1929623:date=Apr 25 2012, 09:35 AM:name=SideOfBeef)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SideOfBeef @ Apr 25 2012, 09:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1929623"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You're kinda missing the point of "hard counter." Marines don't just research flamethrower and make BB obsolete. To stop one lerk at one base, you need a marine to purchase a more expensive flamethrower and dedicate an equal amount of time to clearing the buildings. This isn't a hard counter, it's a response, one which the game currently lacks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Actually, it's the definition of a hard counter. A BB Lerk can not damage a Marine base being watched over by a FT. His attack is negated, pure and simple. That's a hard counter.

A soft counter would be if lighting the Lerk on fire slowed his energy regen, allowing skilled Lerks who could evade damage well to drop another BB or two before retreating and re-entering the room later, but allowing skilled teams to simply kill an unskilled Lerk when he predictably tries to leave through one of the easily camped exits.
    So one player, utilizing equal resources, to stop an enemy player, of equal resources, nullifying the effects of both players; marines have one less primary shooter, aliens can't cheese the marines by bile bomb harassing. Also factoring in that bile bomb will still do damage to multiple buildings since it has an AoE before the FT can burn it off, the ability of lerks to perform coordinated BB on multiple structures, and the high priority target that this makes the FT marine for aliens adds to the tactical depth of the game rather than just LOLBILEBOMBRUSH7MINUTEGG. The author also did not specify the length of time he intended for the bile bomb to require fire to be destroyed, which leaves the possibility that even with FT the marines won't be able to completely stop the bile bomb.