Sound too low?

Aura89Aura89 Join Date: 2010-02-10 Member: 70504Members
I haven't played this game for awhile but now even though my sound in-game is 100% on everything, everything is way too quiet

Now, i can increase my sound through windows and i am even willing to do that even if i don't like to, but i don't remember it being so quiet? i can barely hear anything

in comparison, most of my other games i have to set somewhere between 60-80% in-game and it's much louder then this game is

the only other game that behaves the same way as this game that i've played around with is Skyrim

Comments

• Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    i actually noticed this too. probably the best way to deal with it is by lowering the volume of everything else...
  • simon kamakazisimon kamakazi Join Date: 2009-04-28 Member: 67296Members
    yeh this is a known issue, im waiting on some sound engine tech which will allow a mastering limiter and volume boost,

also we need to wait untill there are independent volume sliders for voice mic and sounds, if i just turn up the sounds now u wont hear ur teammates

<!--quoteo(post=1928411:date=Apr 22 2012, 09:29 AM:name=Laosh'Ra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Laosh'Ra @ Apr 22 2012, 09:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1928411"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i actually noticed this too. probably the best way to deal with it is by lowering the volume of everything else...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • Dr_Cox1911Dr_Cox1911 Join Date: 2011-04-25 Member: 95575Members
    Yep, this is annoying especially because the "crushing"-onos-sound is louder then the others (and by the way it doesn´t sound good at all).
    How complicated are different volume-sliders to integrate (yep, this is a serious question)?

Just curious when the whole sound-problem will be addressed. Hopefully sooner than later...
  • zeepzeep Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3367Members
    edited April 2012
    Nice to know the engine allows audio plugins on like the Master track/output.

I assume that it works like on a daw (Live, Logic etc) and that you can apply effects/eq/reverb to the game's soundtracks?

I'm a producer and sound engineer and love how like in BF:BC2 they made the soundtrack immersive by good use of sound mixing. Like how explosions nearby duck/hi-cut other sounds the player is hearing. Then probably some fat saturation, compression and hot driven limiter on the main output! From a producer's point of view i understand how they acomplished most in-game effects there.

Anyway to the ns2 dev, does the ns2 sound engine have such capabilities? Care to explain a bit how it works?
    Do you also try different mastering limiters plugins? Or are there only few plugins available for this specific engine?
  • Aura89Aura89 Join Date: 2010-02-10 Member: 70504Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1928411:date=Apr 22 2012, 12:29 AM:name=Laosh'Ra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Laosh'Ra @ Apr 22 2012, 12:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1928411"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i actually noticed this too. probably the best way to deal with it is by lowering the volume of everything else...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

problem with this suggestion is that my master PC volume is set to what i like the PC volume set to, for your suggestion i'd have to raise that to an acceptable NS2 volume permanently, lower all the volume on my other games, and it'd leave my main PC too loud
    <!--quoteo(post=1928426:date=Apr 22 2012, 10:30 AM:name=Dr_Cox1911)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dr_Cox1911 @ Apr 22 2012, 10:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1928426"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How complicated are different volume-sliders to integrate (yep, this is a serious question)?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

like with a lot of things with game development it isnt being done right now because we are waiting on the new main menu b4 this is fixed up, and the volume boost is waiting for the sliders, a bunch of task depend on other tasks so even tho its easy to add in a slider its not worth it untill we get the new menu.

<!--quoteo(post=1928628:date=Apr 23 2012, 12:44 AM:name=zeep)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zeep @ Apr 23 2012, 12:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1928628"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nice to know the engine allows audio plugins on like the Master track/output.

I assume that it works like on a daw (Live, Logic etc) and that you can apply effects/eq/reverb to the game's soundtrack

Anyway to the ns2 dev, does the ns2 sound engine have such capabilities? Care to explain a bit how it works?
    Do you also try different mastering limiters plugins? Or are there only few plugins available for this specific engine?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

hi zeep

we can add DSP effects and we do, each room has its own reverb setting which affects all sounds played in that room, we have a lowpass filter for low health , we can even use vsts and i tryed one as the master compressor, (a nice multiband one) sounded great but its way to processor heavy for ingame. we use FMOD, and it comes with a bunch of native DSP effects so im just going to use the compressor/limiter that comes with it.

bc2 uses very robust system of dynamic mixing and ducking priorities, we will have something that works the same way in but will be way less sophisticated, ie just ducking all sounds during voiceovers. and maybe a couple other small things like a small dip in volume if ur near an explosion for a nice effect.
  • zeepzeep Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3367Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1928727:date=Apr 23 2012, 10:03 AM:name=simon kamakazi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (simon kamakazi @ Apr 23 2012, 10:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1928727"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->..we can add DSP effects and we do, each room has its own reverb setting which affects all sounds played in that room, we have a lowpass filter for low health , we can even use vsts and i tryed one as the master compressor, (a nice multiband one) sounded great but its way to processor heavy for ingame. we use FMOD, and it comes with a bunch of native DSP effects so im just going to use the compressor/limiter that comes with it.

bc2 uses very robust system of dynamic mixing and ducking priorities, we will have something that works the same way in but will be way less sophisticated, ie just ducking all sounds during voiceovers. and maybe a couple other small things like a small dip in volume if ur near an explosion for a nice effect.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Hi simon, thanks for the information. It's great that the sound department of this game is so extended in possibilities and knowledge. For a guy like me with +20 years producing experience from hardware to all in-the-box this is very exciting.

I was thinking about a master multiband compressor, or even multiband imiter, too last night. I can imagine that it can do wonders for the game's soundtrack. Indeed, i'm sure the good ones can take quite some cpu cycles. Maybe after more ns2 optimisation in the future you can spare a few.

When you go research/experiment and need a low latency, low cpu limiter or compressor to maybe add some grit / dirt, or just a very transparent one, give me a shout. I know some good ones (even free) that you maybe can use. It's amazing what highly optimized c++ plugins can do with little cpu/
    hey zeep,

i looked into using the FL studio multiband compressor which turns out was created by a 3rd party and i actually tracked him down to get permission to use it in NS2 and he agreed. unfortunately there is a huge difference in performance between pro audio DSP and plugins optimized for ingame. the native one uses 0.1% of my cpu but the vst was like 3-4% ! shame, the fmod one is just a single band so its not ideal , better than nothing for sure tho. would be awesome to stick PSP vintage warmer on the master but that would halve every ones frame rate lol

u have any suggestions, ? needs to be ultra minimal, one of those non GUI plugins or something.

im sure bc2 and a bunch of other games use a multi, probably one they wrote themselves id imagine

cheers

simon
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    I am not a sound engineer and I like my sounds as pure as possible, without filters, dsp and whatever else you guys talk about. I need the volume to tell me the distance and I need a direction and that's all. I know that would be terribly boring for you but as far as I'm concerned all sounds should sound as if played in an infinitely big empty space.

/blush