Natural Selection 2 News Update - Indie Booth the Movie

Comments

• ÒŗăNģёÒŗăNģё Join Date: 2012-02-09 Member: 144437Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Awesome! Wish I was there, would of been at your booth all day!
    Inspiring to see big names help you guys out.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1927497:date=Apr 20 2012, 12:41 PM:name=Mako)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mako @ Apr 20 2012, 12:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1927497"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The focusing issues are probably due to it being a DSLR without auto focus on video.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The camera is an APS-C sensor video camera with full autofocus, the lens used at the show was 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 - the blurry shots were blurry because at one point during construction, I gave the camera to someone else (who I hadn't taught how to use it) and did not switch focus to auto mode for them. So we had the camera running for quite a while focused at ~2.0m while shooting everything from 1 - 100m! Haha! My fault entirely. Missing one silly button press made sooo much material pretty much unusable.

Wilson - Yes, I use the camera in full manual mode, exposure/focus/aperture etc. When I was shooting Cory, well, I don't know what the hell I was doing. Stoned, obviously. Made him look kind of godlike though!

For anyone into filming at these conventions, get a nice fast prime lens and a nice video light. Can't stress it enough. Even dropping down to a shutter speed of 30, with wide open aperture, it was very hard to get brightly lit shots in the dimly lit hall. With gain bumped all the way to 30db in some shots, focusing (even using expanded focus) and avoiding noise became close to impossible.

Lessons learned...
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    I want to play the alligator.

This video really reminds me of how much I love UWE.
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I really didn't expect to see you take home all the signatures. Honestly at first I thought you were going to show us a coffee table made from your booth pieces in that last shot, but that was really cool.
    You guys should make a tradition of always having SOME signable part of your booths :)
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    wish i could have been there. would have been eager to help the first timers in any way possible.
  • OrzOrz Join Date: 2010-03-24 Member: 71069Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1927507:date=Apr 20 2012, 12:32 PM:name=Strayan (NS2HD))--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Strayan (NS2HD) @ Apr 20 2012, 12:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1927507"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Stoned, obviously.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Typical Australians!

But seriously, Natural Selection (1 and 2) is the best game to play high.
  • DrakennzDrakennz Join Date: 2012-03-11 Member: 148620Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1927519:date=Apr 20 2012, 04:13 PM:name=Orz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Orz @ Apr 20 2012, 04:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1927519"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Typical Australians!

But seriously, Natural Selection (1 and 2) is the best game to play high.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Lol. I spent most of NS1 wasted.
  • [=Alex=][=Alex=] Join Date: 2008-12-25 Member: 65866Members, Squad Five Blue
    Congratulations guys! It was very exciting video ...

Thanks for doing this work, which has given me so much joy in my life and allow to me be a little bit of this history and this beautiful game!

I am very proud of you!

THANKS!
  • KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    Ok I might have teared up a little. You guys really are part of something pretty amazing.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1927464:date=Apr 20 2012, 12:48 AM:name=Wilson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wilson @ Apr 20 2012, 12:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1927464"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Many shots were blurry and out of focus. If you are using autofocus then turn it off and learn to manually focus each shot. Zoom right into the subjects eyes and then focus, and then zoom out to frame your shot correctly.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--quoteo(post=1927507:date=Apr 20 2012, 03:32 AM:name=Strayan (NS2HD))--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Strayan (NS2HD) @ Apr 20 2012, 03:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1927507"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The camera is an APS-C sensor video camera with full autofocus, the lens used at the show was 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 - the blurry shots were blurry because at one point during construction, I gave the camera to someone else (who I hadn't taught how to use it) and did not switch focus to auto mode for them. So we had the camera running for quite a while focused at ~2.0m while shooting everything from 1 - 100m! Haha! My fault entirely. Missing one silly button press made sooo much material pretty much unusable.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I was going to jump in here and explain why some of those shots were blurry, but looks like Hugh mentioned it already. That "someone else" that he gave the camera to was me, and I totally dropped the ball on focusing properly. Looked fine to me when viewing through the little eyepiece :P

I did manually focus some shots when I noticed they were looking blurry, but the majority of the blurry shots ended up being the ones needed for the movie. Ah well, we're Indie, we don't need no stinkin' focus. That's just for the big guys with their fancy booths :P

--Cory
  • AgielAgiel Join Date: 2006-11-14 Member: 58605Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1927532:date=Apr 20 2012, 07:02 AM:name=Khyron)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Khyron @ Apr 20 2012, 07:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1927532"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ok I might have teared up a little. You guys really are part of something pretty amazing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    +1

Although, I'd say in a way all of us who pre-ordered are a part of it. I'm a bit sad to be stuck in Japan and swamped with work so I can't help out as much as I'd want to. Can't wait to get back to modding the ###### out of the game when I return to Europe in the summer :)
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1927537:date=Apr 20 2012, 03:15 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Apr 20 2012, 03:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1927537"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was going to jump in here and explain why some of those shots were blurry, but looks like Hugh mentioned it already. That "someone else" that he gave the camera to was me, and I totally dropped the ball on focusing properly. Looked fine to me when viewing through the little eyepiece :P

I did manually focus some shots when I noticed they were looking blurry, but the majority of the blurry shots ended up being the ones needed for the movie. Ah well, we're Indie, we don't need no stinkin' focus. That's just for the big guys with their fancy booths :P

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Cory is being modest - I didn't show him how to use the camera so its my fault. He took some of the best shots on the whole memory card (methinks somebody has had some film training!), especially of the hall.

Ones things for sure, we are much better at this whole 'game development' thing than carpentry and film making. UWE sure won't be turning into a film-studio or furniture shop anytime soon!
  • HappyFlappsHappyFlapps Join Date: 2011-12-01 Member: 136087Members
    Wow! Hugh, your vid makes me want to order NS2 all over again.

By the way, I dunno if you guys would've been open to it, but considering the level of "love" that the NS1/NS2 community has for your game, you might consider putting feelers out for help next time. Hell, I'd have taken time off work and paid my own friggin' airfare for the chance to help you guys out with the booth setup and tear down. In fact, I bet there's a few guys in the community with the creative chops to help design and put together a more polished booth for the next go-'round. Ya might consider putting out the feelers for help next time?

I'm just sayin!

Lookin' forward to you guys doing E3! Are you guys planning on making an appearance there this year?
  • the lazy skulkthe lazy skulk Join Date: 2012-04-20 Member: 150783Members
    hackin together that booth like some real pros. well done gents, pax was definitely a blast
  • DrummerDrummer Join Date: 2004-02-18 Member: 26654Members
    wow, loved the video. what great proof of what this game was destined to become. you guys were rocking a full both the whole time with companies that paid +10x what you did, and didnt impress nearly as much. all the people who have said stuff about ns2 from pax is they were surprised such a small indie team was able to hang with the big players with a game like that.

Major props to everyone on the dev team, you guys are amazing!

And that part at the end? well, cause of that, im never leaving this place!
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Good work on the video. It certainly provided some insight on what was going on :)

Hopefully we'll also see you guys on an european games convention some time (gamescom?) :)
  • fenrir1179fenrir1179 Join Date: 2011-11-05 Member: 131263Members
    Awesome video, yo
    I really hope this game takes off.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$
    I've been playing since '02 on release and I've yet to play/see a game that is anywhere close to ultra team play oriented.

"Mars ######! We're goin' to Red Rocks! Yeah! Yeeeah!" - (Black Bush)
  • GadxGadx Join Date: 2003-03-22 Member: 14788Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Excellent video good sir!
  • AlchemdaAlchemda Join Date: 2004-02-01 Member: 25942Members
  • johhny djohhny d Join Date: 2010-04-08 Member: 71215Members
    Superb video, you guys are the best out there :)
  • NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members
    Great video, but ... there should have been name tags, and it would have been fun to see interviews with players and hear their opinion about NS2.
  • BlitzThoseBlitzThose Aberdeen, Scotland Join Date: 2010-04-11 Member: 71342Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    hugh looks liek he has some mad skillz on that shark saw... wheres his ppe though :P
  • assbdaassbda Join Date: 2011-05-02 Member: 96737Members
    edited April 2012
    lol "monsters", dinosaurs and crocodiles. That made me laugh.

awesome stuff btw
  • GrimfangGrimfang Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13086Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Great video, you have an awesome game, I enjoy the beta currently, and look forward to playing this game with my friends.
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1927507:date=Apr 20 2012, 04:32 AM:name=Strayan (NS2HD))--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Strayan (NS2HD) @ Apr 20 2012, 04:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1927507"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lessons learned...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I hope my tips helped in some way. I remember making all the same mistakes myself when I was making student films. That's a nice camera you have (if it's the nex-vg10e you're referring to) I'm totally envious. I look forward to seeing more videos from you, who knows maybe an ns2 live action movie isn't too far off :D
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    It's an absolute privilege to be given such a terrific insight into the whole process, great video and commentary!
    Would be great to see the team at a nearby gameshow in Europe!
  • SmasherSmasher Join Date: 2005-03-06 Member: 43732Members
    Wow, really amazing!
  • ScrajmScrajm Join Date: 2011-10-17 Member: 127859Members
  • DaphistoDaphisto Hive Janitor Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8917Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Really great video, gentlemen! One of my favorite parts was at the end how you kept all of the sigs and comments written on the lumber. Really cool.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't know why but at the end I had to hold back my tears.
    I am proud of you all! And glad that I am sticking more than 7 years with you!

You all rocked PAX!