Natural Selection 2 News Update - Build 204 released

HughHugh CameramanSan Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
Please post comments on the topic Natural Selection 2 News Update - Build 204 released here

Comments

• PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Which thread? Which thread?!

But yeah, good job on rolling out a patch so quickly! A bit hitchy this time around, but it's getting there :)
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    crossposting :O

So... just new death effects? Anything get in that wasn't listed in regards to hit reg? I heard schimmel(I think it was schimmel) had gotten something exciting done with regards to that!
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    edited April 2012
    The marine death vapourising is perfect. Don't understand why that was applied to alien structures too. The hive sort of vanishes as soon as it's killed.

Other than that and the attack sounds on structures being improved, the big gameplay problems remain.

Long long stalemates only end when an arc train is long enough to survive the journey to the alien base.

It's either a slow death for marines as they turtle with sentries and arcs, or an infuriating loss for aliens who can't kill the fragile looking arcs quick enough.

+ Please please please implement a 3 arc limit.

+ Let the welder instantly remove bile bomb's damage over time effect.

+ Make stomp disable structures only - not marines. It feels so cheap no matter which side you're on.

+ Make the commander's chat text different from all other players, so it stands out.

+ Cloaked aliens shouldn't be 100% invisible it gives them free kills.
  • Smug_LobsterSmug_Lobster Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67903Members
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1924353:date=Apr 11 2012, 07:39 PM:name=rantology)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rantology @ Apr 11 2012, 07:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1924353"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->crossposting :O

So... just new death effects? Anything get in that wasn't listed in regards to hit reg? I heard schimmel(I think it was schimmel) had gotten something exciting done with regards to that!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yes there has been much more done, but it is not tested enough and not included. 204 is the build used at pax
  • JuCCiJuCCi Join Date: 2011-08-08 Member: 114961Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1924355:date=Apr 11 2012, 08:47 PM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Apr 11 2012, 08:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1924355"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The marine death vapourising is perfect. Don't understand why that was applied to alien structures too. The hive sort of vanishes as soon as it's killed.

Other than that and the attack sounds on structures being improved, the big gameplay problems remain.

Long long stalemates only end when an arc train is long enough to survive the journey to the alien base.

It's either a slow death for marines as they turtle with sentries and arcs, or an infuriating loss for aliens who can't kill the fragile looking arcs quick enough.

Please please please implement a 3 arc limit.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You for real? 3 arc limit....... wtf would be the point on building arcs then?
  • GadxGadx Join Date: 2003-03-22 Member: 14788Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    New death effects are pretty amazing.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1924359:date=Apr 12 2012, 12:50 AM:name=JuCCi-PuCCi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JuCCi-PuCCi @ Apr 12 2012, 12:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1924359"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You for real? 3 arc limit....... wtf would be the point on building arcs then?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nevermind, keep the arc trains everyone loves them.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1924361:date=Apr 11 2012, 07:54 PM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Apr 11 2012, 07:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1924361"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nevermind, keep the arc trains everyone loves them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

As players get better, they'll learn how to finish games. You don't need hard caps because players don't have the skill to finish the game currently.
  • BloodyIronBloodyIron Join Date: 2009-11-09 Member: 69321Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I hope optimizations are slated for the next update. Going to check out these changes though.
  • RexiRexi Join Date: 2009-12-10 Member: 69578Members
    How bout you focuse fixing the FPS drops etc glitches that are making the game unenjoyable at some parts instead of creating cool deaths :D like 4real get your priorities right.
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1924368:date=Apr 11 2012, 08:11 PM:name=Rexi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rexi @ Apr 11 2012, 08:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1924368"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How bout you focuse fixing the FPS drops etc glitches that are making the game unenjoyable at some parts instead of creating cool deaths :D like 4real get your priorities right.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

lol.
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1924364:date=Apr 11 2012, 04:55 PM:name=BloodyIron)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BloodyIron @ Apr 11 2012, 04:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1924364"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I hope optimizations are slated for the next update. Going to check out these changes though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes we're spending a lot of time on optimizations again. They fill the majority of Max and Dushan's workload every day for the next month or two.
  • mechanicalDRmechanicalDR Join Date: 2012-03-20 Member: 149019Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1924363:date=Apr 11 2012, 03:55 PM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Apr 11 2012, 03:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1924363"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As players get better, they'll learn how to finish games. You don't need hard caps because players don't have the skill to finish the game currently.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This. Any time there is a stale mate scenario with aliens at the gates, the entire alien team usually consists of only one to three people actually doing anything. Had one game where me and Holy Gorge both had 60+ kills, another guy had 20, and the rest literally all had less than 4 on a 10 person team.

You don't stop an alien team consisting of half onos and half lerk.

Also, as onos, its sometimes more beneficial to just kill everyone in the room instead of wasting your time trying to snipe a building. If its super late game and res if floating hard core, killing an easily replaceable building will have little effect.
  • w0dk4w0dk4 Join Date: 2008-04-22 Member: 64129Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1924372:date=Apr 12 2012, 12:16 AM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Apr 12 2012, 12:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1924372"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes we're spending a lot of time on optimizations again. They fill the majority of Max and Dushan's workload every day for the next month or two.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Good to hear. Congratulations on the material system and the new GUI, it adds a lot! When the performance is sorted out, NS2 will be a killer game and can easily be classified AAA! Go UWE!
  • niaccurshiniaccurshi Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11629Members, Constellation
    Alright, so I don't know if it's this update, or one in the last month, but I can finally play this game without experiencing <10 FPS. It's looking much more polished too, but doesn't feel it yet. I'm not on a powerful rig, 2.27 dual core i5 with GT330M on a 17" lappy, so I'm not expecting the world...BUT...

I'm currently doing the CS:GO thing, and have been playing TF2 regularly, with all the bloat the latter now includes...and I'll be ufortunate to dip below 30FPS on those games, whereas NS2 still resides around the 16-20FPS mark. It's definitely better than it has been, but until it gets to that 30fps mark there's just a little bit too much uncertainty. This is no doubt sucking eggs time, but I'm involved so might as well add my comments ;) It's good to see that they are at least moving in the right direction.

Also, lag from keyboard inputs. Playing as a skulk feels very clunky. I remember the NS1 skulk was smooth to play, you knew where you were going with every movement. Right now I just don't feel in control, which isn't too fun as a skulk. It also seems pretty disorientating compared to NS1 to try and attack as a skulk. This may be a combination of the lag from keyboard inputs and the FPS issue, of course, but I get the feeling something as little as how long the mouth is closed during an attack might be a factor. Again, might be FPS related.

Liking the new death "animations" and the sounds for everything sound a whole load better than the NS1 versions...though on that note I did have a period of play where I couldn't really hear much of anything that was happening, which was odd. It seemed to come back after a while, will have to see if I recreate that in the future.

Path blocking onoses with buildings is pretty sucky.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1924387:date=Apr 11 2012, 08:36 PM:name=niaccurshi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (niaccurshi @ Apr 11 2012, 08:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1924387"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Alright, so I don't know if it's this update, or one in the last month, but I can finally play this game without experiencing <10 FPS. It's looking much more polished too, but doesn't feel it yet. I'm not on a powerful rig, 2.27 dual core i5 with GT330M on a 17" lappy, so I'm not expecting the world...BUT...

I'm currently doing the CS:GO thing, and have been playing TF2 regularly, with all the bloat the latter now includes...and I'll be ufortunate to dip below 30FPS on those games, whereas NS2 still resides around the 16-20FPS mark. It's definitely better than it has been, but until it gets to that 30fps mark there's just a little bit too much uncertainty. This is no doubt sucking eggs time, but I'm involved so might as well add my comments ;) It's good to see that they are at least moving in the right direction.

Also, lag from keyboard inputs. Playing as a skulk feels very clunky. I remember the NS1 skulk was smooth to play, you knew where you were going with every movement. Right now I just don't feel in control, which isn't too fun as a skulk. It also seems pretty disorientating compared to NS1 to try and attack as a skulk. This may be a combination of the lag from keyboard inputs and the FPS issue, of course, but I get the feeling something as little as how long the mouth is closed during an attack might be a factor. Again, might be FPS related.

Liking the new death "animations" and the sounds for everything sound a whole load better than the NS1 versions...though on that note I did have a period of play where I couldn't really hear much of anything that was happening, which was odd. It seemed to come back after a while, will have to see if I recreate that in the future.

Path blocking onoses with buildings is pretty sucky.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

skulk movement is fairly precise and crisp once you get above 30 fps.
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1924372:date=Apr 11 2012, 08:16 PM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Apr 11 2012, 08:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1924372"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes we're spending a lot of time on optimizations again. They fill the majority of Max and Dushan's workload every day for the next month or two.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Excellent news, sir. Go Max and Dushan! We have faith in you. :)
  • TheIcarusKidTheIcarusKid Join Date: 2012-03-23 Member: 149258Members
    Definitely noticed some performance improvements in crowded rooms. Still a ways to go, but any improvement is welcome!
  • cake.cake. Join Date: 2012-01-12 Member: 140165Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1924368:date=Apr 12 2012, 02:11 AM:name=Rexi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rexi @ Apr 12 2012, 02:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1924368"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How bout you focuse fixing the FPS drops etc glitches that are making the game unenjoyable at some parts instead of creating cool deaths :D like 4real get your priorities right.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wow, you are a condescending, insulting, immature person, aren't you?
  • KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1924372:date=Apr 12 2012, 10:16 AM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Apr 12 2012, 10:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1924372"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes we're spending a lot of time on optimizations again. They fill the majority of Max and Dushan's workload every day for the next month or two.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    :`)
  • niaccurshiniaccurshi Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11629Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1924390:date=Apr 12 2012, 12:40 AM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Apr 12 2012, 12:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1924390"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->skulk movement is fairly precise and crisp once you get above 30 fps.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is what I suspected, fingers crossed for reaching this potential come release day!
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1924368:date=Apr 12 2012, 12:11 AM:name=Rexi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rexi @ Apr 12 2012, 12:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1924368"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How bout you focuse fixing the FPS drops etc glitches that are making the game unenjoyable at some parts instead of creating cool deaths :D like 4real get your priorities right.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1

rudely said maybe, but direct and to the point.

I haven't see much performance improvement at all in the most recent builds. And this being summer release, its needed badly. what we have 6 months left?
  • DrakennzDrakennz Join Date: 2012-03-11 Member: 148620Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1924406:date=Apr 12 2012, 12:55 PM:name=Khyron)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Khyron @ Apr 12 2012, 12:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1924406"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->:`)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1
  • yimmasabiyimmasabi Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58318Members
    edited April 2012
    Game is closing when I join to a server. It goes black then quits. This time there were no bug report window. I think u disabled it.
    Still I cant play ! Can u please report to log file more detailed. So we can see where it begins and what causes to this.

On the editor side, some polygons in my maps were gone, there are lines but no faces and textures. Mostly these are my special textures.
    OMG My textures were gone, all is in "materials/yyoru" directory but it doesnt shows.

When you go Top and back to Perspective mode, it shows nothing. I can sellect all but it shows only XYZ Arrows.
    I changed far play slider to max and min but no change !

Editor performance is really great. This time it works faster and faster. Very nice tweaking.
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1924410:date=Apr 11 2012, 09:03 PM:name=luns)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (luns @ Apr 11 2012, 09:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1924410"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->+1

rudely said maybe, but direct and to the point.

I haven't see much performance improvement at all in the most recent builds. And this being summer release, its needed badly. what we have 6 months left?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

you're i<i>n a thread where flayra mentioned the people who are working hard on it</i>, whose job is just to work on it

other people on the team work on other stuff

it's a hard thing to do. they can't just flip a switch and give you higher FPS.

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY are there so many armchair developers?
  • kantlivelongkantlivelong Join Date: 2012-04-11 Member: 150278Members
    same here.. game closes on join. no crash dump
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1924417:date=Apr 12 2012, 01:21 AM:name=internetexplorer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (internetexplorer @ Apr 12 2012, 01:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1924417"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->you're i<i>n a thread where flayra mentioned the people who are working hard on it</i>, whose job is just to work on it

other people on the team work on other stuff

it's a hard thing to do. they can't just flip a switch and give you higher FPS.

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY are there so many armchair developers?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Arm-less chairs make you more prone to RSI.
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    edited April 2012
    experienced a crash to desktop while spectating, a first for me.

not a fan of the marine death animation. marines don't feel like humans now that they evaporate.
  • hamham Join Date: 2011-08-31 Member: 119370Members, Constellation
    glad to see ns2 finally on the steam community