Map control idea

RisingSunRisingSun RisingCalifornia Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
While watching NS1 and NS2 replays there is something fundamentally boring about the RT/Extractor whack a mole mini-game. Boring to build/defend them and boring to destroy them.

What if all you needed was control of the area by way of power node or DI. If the room is "yours" through the before mentioned area control methods an RT is created automatically and is not something that is destroyed, only gained through map control.

Now this idea would have to be tweaked for fairness and such but as a core mechanic i think it would force more territorial battles. In other RTS games your resource gathering is usually inside your base or alt base and heavily defended so you can focus on what everyone else wants to see: Unit combat.

I would love to see the idea of the build-able extractor go away. Just a thought.

Comments

• profjekyllprofjekyll Join Date: 2012-04-07 Member: 150070Members
    I like building them, as a marine and as a commander. It add's to the teamwork element of the game!

It just wouldn't be NS without them imo (even if they are a drag).
  • KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    Then what happens when they leave the Node alone and destroy the RT? How do you rebuild it? You'd have to lose the Power Node any time you lost the RT for this to work, and for that why not just remove the Power Node?

Personally, I think their need to be more RTs dependent on one Power Node, but with what you're suggesting, that definitely would not work.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    Kuban: I think he's suggesting making Extractors/Harvesters invulnerable, and letting the presence of power/infestation control their functioning and existence. To attack the Extractor, you would attack the node.

OP: I feel like this really dumbs down the game. If we start auto-building structures (presumably for free; there's even more issues if you charge), what does the Com really have left? What happens to the asymmetry of Marine and Kharaa building? This seems like it would take the second S out of FPS/RTS.