Sound synchronization is off on AR

.ADHd.ADHd Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146565Members
edited April 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">Been annoying me forever</div>I know this may seem like a small bug but it's much more important than one would imagine at first thought. The sound of the AR firing is awesome and very aesthetically pleasing albeit not realistic to the actual rate of fire in game. It sounds like it's shooting super fast, but in reality the sound of the bullets firing are not actually in sync with the ammo count while firing. This just gives players a false sense of feedback on how many actual rounds are going down range and hitting enemies.

This, in many ways, could cause players to have a placebo effect of thinking they have bad hit registry... the reason for this is because they hear so many bullets firing yet that many bullets have not actually fired in the game. I assume this is the programmers fault not taking the time to sync the fire sounds with the actual firing rate / animation.

I also noticed in one of the older builds that either the time between the looping of the fire sound was either decreased or the rounds per minute on the AR were raised. I can't remember which build but it was definitely noticeable.

Could the developers please take note of this bug. The sound should always be in sync with what is happening on screen otherwise people are going to be getting inaccurate information going into their heads while playing the game.

What the player see's and hears should be accurate to what is actually happening in game. It matter's when playing competitively or if you simply want to know how many bullets are actually hitting someone.

Comments

• AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I think NS2 uses the slightly unorthodox method of having a loop of constant gunfire sound that starts and stops on mousedown/up, rather than playing the sound of a single shot every time a bullet is fired.

Perhaps it's for performance reasons? I know NS1 used the latter way and sounded real satisfying with stuff like the HMG.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    I'm glad you've analysed this I couldn't work out for myself what was ineffective about the gun sounds. Hope UWE will 'fix' it.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    Lots of games do the sound loop thing. Synchronization can be done multiple ways. The cheapest method is to assume the loop sound is exactly a certain length and make the bullets fire at that same rate. I believe this is how it is currently done, but not to the precision some would like. Who knows what will end up happening.
  • .ADHd.ADHd Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146565Members
    edited April 2012
    Try just quickly tapping your fire button you will notice that you hear 2-3 bullets fire when you've actually only fired 1 or 2 bullets.

I would just like to say that the sounds in this game are stellar and done very well.

I run a studio and have recorded and worked with many bands. I highly respect people who can come up with HD audio samples like what are used in NS2. Major props to your guys audio guy. It does seem to me like the audio file is looped somewhere after 5-6 rounds have been fired. You can hear the rythme (beat) of the sample repeating. I am just curious to know if you could simply lengthen the audio sample via time stretch to make it match up with the animation (Sorry I am not an uber programmer just an audio engineer).

Great game and the sounds are done very well. I just have an obsession compulsion when it comes to audio.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    i think that this is a valid point, i've noticed it before but never thought of the consequences.

i will bug report it so that it gets some love.
    will fit nicely for when hit registration is smoother, too.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    I agree that the bullet sound gives a false sense of imprecision to the rifle. One should look how it's done in cs and do the same.
  • simon kamakazisimon kamakazi Join Date: 2009-04-28 Member: 67296Members
    hey guys,

yes we use a looping sound that has bullet sounds at approximately the same speed as the actual ROF, the problem is that ur actual rate of fire changes slightly with ur FPS,
    another problem is that the sound loop is not stopped quickly enough when u mouse off. so it becomes very noticeable when u to small bursts. it will still need some fine tuning, especially with short bursts/single shots, we use loops because they sound WAY better but unfortunately this is a trade off u have to make when using loops. its something that ive noticed in big budget games as well, when u quickly tap fire, u will hear more shots than are actually fired.

if u shoot say 5-6 or more bullets it seems to sync better (on my machine anyway)
  • KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    I noticed this too but I figured it wouldn't be worth bringing up. It seems to me that changes to sound effects and play balance stuff like rate of fire are still being made regularly enough that chasing up aesthetic details like this is probably not appropriate for now. I'm sure this will be fixed in due course.
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    maybe if you tell us how many shots before it loops and we're adjust our burst to use that many shots so at least it stays sounding good :p
  • .ADHd.ADHd Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146565Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1923752:date=Apr 10 2012, 06:43 AM:name=simon kamakazi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (simon kamakazi @ Apr 10 2012, 06:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1923752"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->hey guys,

yes we use a looping sound that has bullet sounds at approximately the same speed as the actual ROF, the problem is that ur actual rate of fire changes slightly with ur FPS,
    another problem is that the sound loop is not stopped quickly enough when u mouse off. so it becomes very noticeable when u to small bursts. it will still need some fine tuning, especially with short bursts/single shots, we use loops because they sound WAY better but unfortunately this is a trade off u have to make when using loops. its something that ive noticed in big budget games as well, when u quickly tap fire, u will hear more shots than are actually fired.

if u shoot say 5-6 or more bullets it seems to sync better (on my machine anyway)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Could you instead just use a collection of samples that will play for any bullet event on the server? That way you have the full range and realistic sound but it will be in perfect sync with the ROF.