Australian local NS2 server

kababkabab Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24384Members, Constellation
Since Endar had to take down his awesome servers :( i've rented a Hypernia server for a month i'm not sure how the performance is but none the less at least its local...

If anyone wants to chip in some $$$ please let me know depending on how much $$ we can come up with i can extend the server rental.. First months on me :)

Comments

• glimmermanglimmerman Join Date: 2004-04-29 Member: 28300Members, Constellation
    I'd rather spend money on kebabs
  • kababkabab Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24384Members, Constellation
    Well it seems they only have either dual E5530's or dual E5645's at hypernia where i rented the server from...

It doesn't seem like enough grunt for NS2 :(

Server code needs more optimisation!
  • KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    edited April 2012
    Thanks for stepping up kabab. Unfortunately it looks like the server can't even mangage 6v6. The tick rate is dropping down to 10 pretty quickly. Eventually I saw rubber-banding, which is really the point it becomes unplayable in my books.

For reference, Aus Pure was a 2600k overclocked so renting a top end server might be good enough for 14 or 16 slots? I've looked at a <a href="http://www.ozservers.com.au/" target="_blank">few</a> <a href="http://www.fluccsdedicated.com.au/dedicated-servers/dedicated-servers-australia.shtml" target="_blank">dedicated</a> <a href="http://www.serversaustralia.com.au/starter-dedicated-servers.php" target="_blank">hosting</a> <a href="http://www.dedicatedservers.net.au/" target="_blank">companies</a>. Often even their top end servers seem to be older xeons. I don't know whether xeon architecture is better or worse for NS2, or how much clock rate matters (probably a lot). I can't see much info in the dedicated server thread but it might be worth asking there.

The other challenge is finding a plan which provides sufficient quota - the servers will use about 1GB/hr for just 12 players. So if the Aus Pure servers were running for 10 hours per day with 18 people we're talking north of 500GB/month after factoring in weekends. You can host multiple servers on one physical box (N-1 cores) so that's a positive.

Looks like being $300+/month. As elodea said in the other thread, UWE really needs to do some work on server optimisation before NS2 goes more mainstream.
    I asked them about a better server that is the best they got..

NS2 server needs to really improve its going to be a major problem soon...
    I should add that hosting from a home connection is pretty much ruled out. Alchemy did some testing last night and we saw his 2MB/s upload being saturated with 12 slots. each additional player was pushing everybody's pings up. I think we got to 16 players and the pings had gone up by say 200 for everybody... On Draken's fragspace server we all had pings of 999 once we had 12 players and that was 1MB upload. I think endar said 5MB/s upload required and that was proof that he wasn't kidding...
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    The above posts are pretty much correct. I cant ever see a hosting company being able to rent out overclocked servers to clients, there are way too many problems. Having to buy custom heatsinks, and spend a large amount of time finding a chip that is capable of overclocking, and spending the time to get that overclock right is just something a hosting company wouldnt do.

A future I see would be an NBN connection, speeds of either 25/5 or 50/20 coming in at a price point of around $100 per month. Surely within the Australian community someone lives in one of the first release sites!
    To be honest I see a pretty dire future for NS2 now... Server operators are not going to update their farms with the hardware needed just for NS2 they will never make their money back.. As i mentioned in the other thread these Hypernia servers run 64 player BF3 fine but they can't handle a 12 player NS2 game..

I don't see a point in developing anything else in this game until the servers are fixed, there is no way they can release it the way it is now they may sell a bunch of copies but there will be absolutely no server capacity..
    <!--quoteo(post=1921306:date=Apr 3 2012, 06:50 PM:name=kabab)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kabab @ Apr 3 2012, 06:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921306"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As i mentioned in the other thread these Hypernia servers run 64 player BF3 fine but they can't handle a 12 player NS2 game..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm vaguely aware that NS's architecture might be quite different to many other FPS games. It's server based whereas other FPS can be more peer-to-peer, so what you said above might be like comparing apples to oranges. I read about this in a thread on the forums where they were talking about latency and how the server needs to confirm hit calculations and you can get a death animation quite a long time after something has actually died... As for why it's designed this way, I couldn't say.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1921321:date=Apr 3 2012, 07:30 PM:name=Khyron)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Khyron @ Apr 3 2012, 07:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921321"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm vaguely aware that NS's architecture might be quite different to many other FPS games. It's server based whereas other FPS can be more peer-to-peer, so what you said above might be like comparing apples to oranges. I read about this in a thread on the forums where they were talking about latency and how the server needs to confirm hit calculations and you can get a death animation quite a long time after something has actually died... As for why it's designed this way, I couldn't say.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is all fine, but at the end of the day we need affordable, mainstream server options.. apples, oranges, bananas or pineapples.
  • ArgathorArgathor Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110942Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1921327:date=Apr 3 2012, 09:51 AM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Apr 3 2012, 09:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921327"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is all fine, but at the end of the day we need affordable, mainstream server options.. apples, oranges, bananas or pineapples.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well said.
  • Raven_XIRaven_XI Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12032Members, Constellation
    NS2 dead before it even begins!? D:

I hope it gets optimized soon.....
    <!--quoteo(post=1921327:date=Apr 3 2012, 07:51 PM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Apr 3 2012, 07:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921327"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is all fine, but at the end of the day we need affordable, mainstream server options.. apples, oranges, bananas or pineapples.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Oh absolutely. There is a serious problem here. I wasn't trying to make excuses, just pointing out that it might not be reasonable to make a set of expectations based on what happens in another game. Buying hosting from somewhere like hypernia off-the-shelf is a perfectly reasonable expectation.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1921321:date=Apr 3 2012, 08:30 AM:name=Khyron)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Khyron @ Apr 3 2012, 08:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921321"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm vaguely aware that NS's architecture might be quite different to many other FPS games. It's server based whereas other FPS can be more peer-to-peer, so what you said above might be like comparing apples to oranges. I read about this in a thread on the forums where they were talking about latency and how the server needs to confirm hit calculations and you can get a death animation quite a long time after something has actually died... As for why it's designed this way, I couldn't say.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Second time I heard this, but NS2 uses the good ol' Client-Server-Client architecture that has been around since Quake1, and which is in use by most of the popular games today (all Source-based games, all UT-based games, and I do believe Battlefield 3 as well). Is it not still the Lua-scripts that are to blame for performance? Not so much the netcode (although I learned when improvising that wall-hack, that Spark does send A LOT more information than it has to strictly speaking).
  • SuperBOBSuperBOB Join Date: 2003-02-21 Member: 13795Members
    Massively out of the loop but is there not a Linux Dedicated Server release coming eventually?
  • sidewayzsidewayz Join Date: 2012-01-31 Member: 142814Members
    Hi all,

3FL are looking at getting some NS2 servers up. There is currently a thread in the 3FL forums - <a href="http://www.3fl.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7360" target="_blank">http://www.3fl.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7360</a>

The more demand there is for NS2 servers then hopefully the faster they go up.
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hey my thread is getting a mention, yay.
    Yeah 3FL is usually pretty good with hosting servers, although it does make a huge difference if the admins are playing the game, which I doubt any of them are, so from now the server has been a no show :9
  • invTempestinvTempest Join Date: 2003-03-02 Member: 14223Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1921295:date=Apr 3 2012, 02:33 AM:name=endar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (endar @ Apr 3 2012, 02:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921295"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The above posts are pretty much correct. I cant ever see a hosting company being able to rent out overclocked servers to clients, there are way too many problems. Having to buy custom heatsinks, and spend a large amount of time finding a chip that is capable of overclocking, and spending the time to get that overclock right is just something a hosting company wouldnt do.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree that this is not something that a normal hosting company would do, but then again the company that I run is built off this very idea (providing overclocked hardware for NS2). Not that this helps out the Aussie community at all, but it just goes to show that where there is a will there is a way.
  • AlchemyAlchemy Join Date: 2005-02-08 Member: 40330Members
    I will continue to occasionally (bandwidth cap allowing) run my 12 slot server from home in New Zealand called Mr. Server. Currently limited by 2 mbps upload and crippling data cap.

I'm still searching for datacentres that might allow me to co locate an overclocked computer and not ask an arm and a leg for bandwith which seems to be the issue. If anyone knows of anywhere that would be able to accomodate me in NZ or Aus then get in contact.

Currently hoping a comapny I deal with at work will let me test their new datacentres connection for them as they wait for clients :)
    Also pricing up an internet connection into my datacentre at work but data caps are a major barrier (I'm an IT systems engineer by trade)

In regards to 3FL i believe they rent Hypernia game servers which are all virtual boxes in austrailia or dedicated server hardware out of singapore. Neither will be good enough for NS2.

If server performance is not drastically reduced in regards to single core speed the situation for Aus/NZ is very bleak for the foreseeable future. Would love to have some UWE feedback on this and possibly work to find a temporary solution.
  • DrakennzDrakennz Join Date: 2012-03-11 Member: 148620Members
    Yeah same -me and Alchemy are in the same boat - i can only host a 8 person server for some quick 4 v 4 pugs due to limitations without forking out $700NZD a month to host with Orcon. Keep in touch Alchemy!
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah don't bother my Hypernia rent boxes, like you said they are not dedicated and shared, tested a few simulations on them, they are no good for NS2 :(
    iinet are the same, even though the ping is good to their new VPN servers, but with it being on a shared server, again same problem, performance just explodes.
  • neonzneonz Join Date: 2004-02-07 Member: 26192Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1921718:date=Apr 4 2012, 08:14 PM:name=Alchemy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Alchemy @ Apr 4 2012, 08:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921718"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I will continue to occasionally (bandwidth cap allowing) run my 12 slot server from home in New Zealand called Mr. Server. Currently limited by 2 mbps upload and crippling data cap.

I'm still searching for datacentres that might allow me to co locate an overclocked computer and not ask an arm and a leg for bandwith which seems to be the issue. If anyone knows of anywhere that would be able to accomodate me in NZ or Aus then get in contact.

Currently hoping a comapny I deal with at work will let me test their new datacentres connection for them as they wait for clients :)
    Also pricing up an internet connection into my datacentre at work but data caps are a major barrier (I'm an IT systems engineer by trade)

In regards to 3FL i believe they rent Hypernia game servers which are all virtual boxes in austrailia or dedicated server hardware out of singapore. Neither will be good enough for NS2.

If server performance is not drastically reduced in regards to single core speed the situation for Aus/NZ is very bleak for the foreseeable future. Would love to have some UWE feedback on this and possibly work to find a temporary solution.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Telstra cable? If so great ping for me! :D
  • AlchemyAlchemy Join Date: 2005-02-08 Member: 40330Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1921733:date=Apr 4 2012, 01:35 AM:name=neonz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (neonz @ Apr 4 2012, 01:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921733"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Telstra cable? If so great ping for me! :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes TelstraClear cable
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Alchemey, I'm in NZ, I'm sure I could could set up an AP for a few bob a month, maybe PM me...not really too keen on just buying you beers tho lol.
    If only we had the NBN now :(
  • sidewayzsidewayz Join Date: 2012-01-31 Member: 142814Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1921732:date=Apr 4 2012, 02:30 PM:name=RockyMarc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RockyMarc @ Apr 4 2012, 02:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921732"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah don't bother my Hypernia rent boxes, like you said they are not dedicated and shared, tested a few simulations on them, they are no good for NS2 :(
    iinet are the same, even though the ping is good to their new VPN servers, but with it being on a shared server, again same problem, performance just explodes.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This may change. They should be assessing what they will need and running some tests hopefully in the next few days
  • TimTim Join Date: 2011-07-24 Member: 111958Members
    Oh man I can't believe the servers are gone!

I'm willing to contribute $50-100 a month to whoever runs a server. Offered donations to endar before but he told me he was uber rich :p
  • ceribikceribik Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69492Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1921769:date=Apr 4 2012, 09:47 PM:name=Tim)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tim @ Apr 4 2012, 09:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921769"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh man I can't believe the servers are gone!

I'm willing to contribute $50-100 a month to whoever runs a server. Offered donations to endar before but he told me he was uber rich :p<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Looks like internode will be running servers hopefully. If that doesn't work out, there's always this:
    <a href="http://goo.gl/KLb11" target="_blank">http://goo.gl/KLb11</a>
    edited April 2012
    Can someone add me on the list - I dunno how to. $50-100 - timwantsfood at the hotmails

Will commit for 12 months @ 50, 6 at 100
    edited April 2012
    edit: Just read some other posts - deleted!
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Hey that online wiki spreadsheet thing is cool!