Cannot place Command Stations anywhere except predetermined locations

Master BlasterMaster Blaster Join Date: 2012-03-17 Member: 148908Banned
<div class="IPBDescription">This takes variety out of the game</div>No long essay here. I just think after playing for a while that I miss being able to establish main bases in the most unpredictable locations. I think the lack of this option reduces the variety of gameplay and contributes to an over-simplification of the game, even "dumbing-down" of the gameplay.

I know what the devs might say, something like "it cleans up the gameplay" or creates consistent gameplay or something. Which it does. I just have a bit of nostalgia and think that a lot of the fun of Natural Selection was not just focusing on smooth gameplay but having 100000 options and having fun with them, even if relocating to a vent or a hallway is a deathtrap :)

The disclaimer: I love NS2 still so don't start the usual "THIS IS 'MURICA IF YOU DON'T LOVE IT THEN GIT OUT!"

Comments

• extolloextollo Ping Blip Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72457Members
    yea. ns1 was great for that - relo-ing a chair inside a wall or up in some tiny spot where you had to climb mines to get to it. lots of open creativity. ns2 is much more straight forward in that sense. it may be the concern is making sure the options for chair/base location are known and testable. I can accept that limitation if it improves testing, balance & reduces likelihood of odd exploits. - all good stuff for a commercial game.
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    I see your point of view, but I also really like how it works like the townhalls in Starcraft. Every time you place a chair, you're denying a hive site. It creates a lot of strategic options itself (they're much fewer in number and easier to recognize, but at least they're there..)
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
  • BJHBnade_spammerBJHBnade_spammer Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42431Members
    i think predetermined placement is better as you have to come up with a strategy to defend it instead of hiding it somewhere so they dont even know where the command chair is. theres too much chance of exploiting the map other wise
  • paradoxumparadoxum United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-03-05 Member: 148193Members
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1920131:date=Mar 31 2012, 07:10 AM:name=Master Blaster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Master Blaster @ Mar 31 2012, 07:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1920131"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No long essay here. I just think after playing for a while that I miss being able to establish main bases in the most unpredictable locations. I think the lack of this option reduces the variety of gameplay and contributes to an over-simplification of the game, even "dumbing-down" of the gameplay.

I know what the devs might say, something like "it cleans up the gameplay" or creates consistent gameplay or something. Which it does. I just have a bit of nostalgia and think that a lot of the fun of Natural Selection was not just focusing on smooth gameplay but having 100000 options and having fun with them, even if relocating to a vent or a hallway is a deathtrap :)

The disclaimer: I love NS2 still so don't start the usual "THIS IS 'MURICA IF YOU DON'T LOVE IT THEN GIT OUT!"<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree with you and i've voiced similar concerns before, I also don't like this decision of "dumbing down" the game, it was fun to be able to build your main base wherever you wanted. Sadly, I doubt they will ever change it back at this point unless everyone agrees on it and convinces the developers.

I don't necessarily want to be able to build the CC in a vent or something, it's too big for that now anyway, I do miss being able to build things in vents as a Gorge and make little bases like that, but now because of the whole game-ends-when-hive-or-cc-is-killed thing it's useless to do anything like that.. :(

I think it makes games far too predictable, i've been playing for a couple weeks now, at least 6 hours per day, and I pretty much know exactly how any game is going to play out on any map.
    For me, this goes hand in hand with the power node mechanic, not being able to build in some hallways unless you have a power node inside a room nearby and things like that sucks. There's no real randomness to the matches because there are only a few specific tactics you can do on each map based on where you begin, take X/Y/Z room, hold them or lose them, etc etc, it's all so...sterile? is that the word i'm looking for?
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1920154:date=Mar 31 2012, 04:10 PM:name=internetexplorer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (internetexplorer @ Mar 31 2012, 04:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1920154"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I see your point of view, but I also really like how it works like the townhalls in Starcraft. Every time you place a chair, you're denying a hive site. It creates a lot of strategic options itself (they're much fewer in number and easier to recognize, but at least they're there..)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I hear you, but it was cool as the aliens to drop a hive in a relocated marine base then use the teleport feature to mount an offensive. Free CCs opened a lot of opportunity and creative strategy on where you could place it. I miss that possibility.

Maybe if this is changed they could take down the number of tech points. I would love to see 3 total again.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    We've been over this on this forum many times actually, it's one of those things like alien comm that is not getting changed and that you will just have to get used it. There's an official response on this issue somewhere a few weeks back, but I can't find it right away. AFAIK there's some pros (balance being one of them) and cons.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Isn't this something that will be easy for people to mod?
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Most likely, I doubt it will take long before we see a classic Ns1 remake mod on NS2.
    <!--quoteo(post=1920165:date=Mar 31 2012, 12:26 PM:name=RisingSun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RisingSun @ Mar 31 2012, 12:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1920165"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->drop a hive in a relocated marine base then use the teleport feature to mount an offensive.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

didn't this rely on the fact that <i>hives </i>go in predetermined locations?

I think something like the hive teleport is planned for the Shift too, so keep your fingers crossed!
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    Placing the command station at random will never see the light of day in NS2.

Unfortunately that will be left for the creativity of community mods.
  • Kama_BlueKama_Blue Join Date: 2012-03-13 Member: 148710Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1920219:date=Mar 31 2012, 10:27 AM:name=LV426-Colonist)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LV426-Colonist @ Mar 31 2012, 10:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1920219"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Placing the command station at random will never see the light of day in NS2.

Unfortunately that will be left for the creativity of community mods.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

To be honest, the CC could start in a predetermined location, AKA a hive room, but be relocatable anywhere. Maybe it's not that important on the official maps, but eventually custom maps would be far better with the ability to put a CC anywere.

That and power nodes are probably what's ruining the randomness of games at the moment.
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1920186:date=Mar 31 2012, 05:03 PM:name=internetexplorer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (internetexplorer @ Mar 31 2012, 05:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1920186"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->didn't this rely on the fact that <i>hives </i>go in predetermined locations?

I think something like the hive teleport is planned for the Shift too, so keep your fingers crossed!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, sorry for being unclear. If the marines relocated to a Hive location (only 3 on the map and marine start wasnt on of them) it denied the aliens of a third hive off the bat and made securing the second hive that much easier, but had the draw back of the beacon bringing everyone to MS or the hive drop offensive strat.

All in all i miss that choice in the game.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    I agree with the command station anywhere approach, but only for one reason: it was how NS1 did it. This is just another case of NS2 having to live up to every veterans expectations. Its a different game, its a different approach.
  • TinkerTinker Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14395Members
    I feel the same way. I miss some CRAZY vent CC relocates that were immense fun. But it's all nostalgia.
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    On another note; in regards to this topic...

I miss that comfy chair. =(
    For real, comming while standing upright? Who does that?! Won't be long until some mod revives the armchair general :p
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    CC in vents was funny, but for polished product its not balanced. Marines can turtle easier, especially if Onos cannot enter that vent.
  • Master BlasterMaster Blaster Join Date: 2012-03-17 Member: 148908Banned
    <!--quoteo(post=1920471:date=Apr 1 2012, 04:39 AM:name=TimMc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TimMc @ Apr 1 2012, 04:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1920471"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->CC in vents was funny, but for polished product its not balanced. Marines can turtle easier, especially if Onos cannot enter that vent.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't like this "polished product" business.

Why so much focus on making a "Streamlined" and "Polished" game? Natural Selection did not become famous for being streamlined, people played it because it offered something that the Big Name Companies refused to offer us -- fr<u><b>eedom of gameplay.</b></u>
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    TimMc, can you point out the vent in which you can build cc's on the current maps ?
  • paradoxumparadoxum United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-03-05 Member: 148193Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1920489:date=Apr 1 2012, 05:44 AM:name=Master Blaster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Master Blaster @ Apr 1 2012, 05:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1920489"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't like this "polished product" business.

Why so much focus on making a "Streamlined" and "Polished" game? Natural Selection did not become famous for being streamlined, people played it because it offered something that the Big Name Companies refused to offer us -- fr<u><b>eedom of gameplay.</b></u><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yesss!
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Anywhere you might want to place a CC other than on a tech point is probably for some really dumb exploit/turtle strategy.

Locked CCs is a good thing.
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1920521:date=Apr 1 2012, 04:16 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Apr 1 2012, 04:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1920521"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Anywhere you might want to place a CC other than on a tech point is probably for some really dumb exploit/turtle strategy.

Locked CCs is a good thing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

you sound like sore loser, sorry.

In ns1, all maps had only three hive locations. And marines normally would relocate to one of the hives to stop aliens gaining third hive. But by no means it didn't have any down sides, they couldn't beacon since they would start in marine start while their other base be destroyed. It was clever tactic, but most of all, actually fun.

The problem was having only three tech locations on the map, but as we have noticed we now have maps with more hive locations. So why should we limit the CC to these tech points? relocation was one of the fun parts sometimes playing marine, among other things as well.

NS2 puts to many limits and restrictions.
    Because you can relocate to a great many viable locations on the map. Anywhere with a tech point is a viable base location. Anywhere without a tech point would likely be an inviable base location, or more probably somewhere dumb you shouldn't be putting a CC and which isn't remotely fun because it turns the game into 'let's sit in this vent with a CC after we've lost because we like being dumb'.

It's about as fun as having gorges sitting in DC forts in vents, preventing the game from ending after the hive is dead. It serves absolutely no purpose whatsoever.
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    im a old OLD ns1 player, i really miss the free placement of CC !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I am also an old NS1 player and I don't miss it, clearly being an old player adds more weight to my opinion.
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1920539:date=Apr 1 2012, 04:39 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Apr 1 2012, 04:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1920539"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Because you can relocate to a great many viable locations on the map. Anywhere with a tech point is a viable base location. Anywhere without a tech point would likely be an inviable base location, or more probably somewhere dumb you shouldn't be putting a CC and which isn't remotely fun because it turns the game into 'let's sit in this vent with a CC after we've lost because we like being dumb'.
    <b>
    It's about as fun as having gorges sitting in DC forts in vents, preventing the game from ending after the hive is dead. It serves absolutely no purpose whatsoever.</b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

you don't sound like you even liked ns1. so your opinion on whats fun in ns1 doesn't actually matter then.

so lets talk about what makes sense. NS1 only had three tech points for hives, NS2 has more then 3, so limiting the CC to tech points doesn't actually matter. It would give marines more freedom and (you might hate this) bring fun tactics back into NS.
    Since relocation would be based on design of the map, having larger maps I see no problems here so long beacon would still teleport them back to marine start as the down side.

"I am also an old NS1 player and I don't miss it, clearly being an old player adds more weight to my opinion. "

you might be, but you sure sound like you don't like NS1, sorry.
    So, you're only allowed to have an opinion on what's fun in NS1 if that opinion is 'everything, without question or qualification'?

What's the point in that?

NS1 as a game was pretty fun, NS1 as a collection of dumb gimmick tactics was stupid and annoying. Less time spent looking for the last alien after the hive dies, more time spent playing actual games where you fight stuff.
    <!--quoteo(post=1920548:date=Apr 1 2012, 12:54 PM:name=luns)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (luns @ Apr 1 2012, 12:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1920548"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman" target="_blank">you don't sound like you even liked ns1.</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

hahah wow!
  • weezlweezl Join Date: 2008-07-04 Member: 64557Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    +1 for free CC
    -BUT-
    to not scr*w around and change too much in the current game:
    add a SECOND type of CC that is freely place-able
    it should be as small as in NS1, where the commander sits like in a cockpit
    and i think it should have some disadvantage (small or medium), for starters no nano-shield (unless standard cc:s are up also)
    but then comes the problem with the powersystem...