Phase Gate: Disorienting

2»

Comments

• NecropsYNecropsY Join Date: 2012-01-23 Member: 141746Members
    What i would much perfer is an option if you have a phase gate up in marine start an option appears

something like Phase to Data Core , - or - Phase to atmospherics ect

that would be nice so im not doing a double phase or tripple phase just to get to where i wanna go
  • FroztyFrozty SWEDEN Join Date: 2012-01-22 Member: 141596Members
    1) "See" through the phase gate like Portal (technical challenge I know!) ****

One of the best ideas iv seen this week! GO GO GO!
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I've always thought a simple, select the pg you want to phase too, on the minimap would be the simplest and most intuitive method for dealing with multiple PGs. That way, no matter which PG you went into, it'd take you to the desired PG everytime.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    :-/ that doesn't solve the "meat grinder" issue, though..
  • kororaskororas Join Date: 2010-09-16 Member: 74043Members
    It will when u can see through.

At the moment, you have two options, you take a chance and go through, or you dont. If aliens are at the PG and u feel there is a good chance u will get chomped then its your fault if you do. The simple fact is, if you know aliens are there that PG is as good as dead. Whether you want to attempt to save it is your risk.

Fatty blocking it is a bit of an issue though i agree.
  • PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Another stop-gap idea for the PG. What about just showing an (occasionally updated, not real time) view into the phase gate?

That would let marines entering the PG have a general sense of which direction they will be facing after stepping in (and can keep walking forward etc) instead of taking a few moments to get your bearings after phasing through which happens at the moment.

Thoughts?
  • SilverAxSilverAx Join Date: 2003-10-26 Member: 21976Members
    edited March 2012
    Could always make 'phasing' in like how Protoss do it in SC2. You see a vague outline of the unit which gets more defined the closer it gets to coming into that part of the map. Unable to move/act or take dmg until they phase in.

Doing this would also give time for the player's compute to render their surroundings.

Then again this would be annoying and time wasting as you find the correct phase gate to pop out of. So probably not the best idea to help fix the issue.

Edit: Or as mentioned above, being able to choose which phase gate to pop out of would be great.
  • TinkerTinker Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14395Members
    I love the suspended animation thing as it would be alleviate a lot of my phase lag issues.
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1916217:date=Mar 22 2012, 11:01 AM:name=Plasma)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Plasma @ Mar 22 2012, 11:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1916217"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hey,

So we all know the phase gate is a bit disorienting when you phase through, meaning:<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Tthe infantry portal is much more confusing, you never know where you looking at before you spawn...which is very annyoing.

I think, they just shoud player always look into north, so everyone know it.
    With the phasegate, i am sure the commander can place it better, so its his job.