distributing points for building fair

SolitarioSolitario Join Date: 2006-10-29 Member: 58097Members
(sorry if this was requestet yet, can't find a thread via forums-search)

<b>atm it's like</b>
if a marine builds 90% of a building and another marine builds the last 10%, he get's all the points

<b>my suggestion</b>
why don't distribute it fair? give the player who builds the most, the most points
sure you can't divide 5 through 3 fair. but there could be programmed a fairer algorithmus, than last player takes it all :)

(this feature is only interessting for public games)

Comments

• RanakastraszRanakastrasz Join Date: 2012-02-26 Member: 147512Members
    All I can say is, why would that one marine assist to 90%, and not finish it (short of getting killed)

On the other part, I would say, Who the **** cares about points? I say games is the only meaningful measurement in *real* games, and in learning games, You would want to measure teamwork, and other actions you want to be reinforced in learning.

Building it to 90% doesn't help alot, because the building doesnt function until it is finished, hence finishing it is more important.

Anyhow, +1 for assisting 20% or more, +1 for finishing a building. That would be plenty imo.
  • SolitarioSolitario Join Date: 2006-10-29 Member: 58097Members
    edited March 2012
    true the points are really irrelevant. but my experience is, that a lot of players, especially younger ones, care for points and
    getting motivated if they get some. on the other hand, building 90% and getting nothing can be for some players quite frustrating.
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    the score is currently part of the game and unless it is removed (which i hope will not happen, because people might focus on that kill-death-ratio stuff then) it should at least be decently fair and accurate.

the major issue here is (imo) that player A builds until it reaches 90%, then a player B might join him. both are building at once now, and player B will sometimes get the points, although he only contributed 5% of the build time.
    Oh, really? It gives points to a random player (or more likely whoever contributed the build-progress point(s) that brought it to 100%) instead of both? Well, In that case, Yea, it should be altered to give one point to everyone building currently when it hits 100%. No real need to give credit for partial builds, because it doesn't benifit the team much, and it should NOT be encouraged to build something to 90% then stop, just finish the **** sentry turret, so it can attack...
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I agree they should be distributed fairly, but there is no need for a complicated system. Score can be a good indicator of how helpful someone has been during a game.

You helped to do 50% of the buildings, so you'll get 50% of the points, if stored as float instead of integer, it works just fine (even though you'll just see the integer value in a score board).
    ->
    Buildings is worth 5 points for example, you build 50%, you'll get 2.5 points, of which 2 are visible. Now you'll build another building with 50%, you'll get another 2.5 points and you'll have 5 in total.

Also in addition you could get an extra point for completion or so.
    I still dont think that partly building something is important. I personally think its borderline trolling to, say, build a res node to 99%, when it takes half a second to finish it. In a less extreme example, 90%, which if you are going to stick to it for 90% of the time, No good reason for you to not finish it, short of being killed or recalled.

So, I suppose an idea would be 50% for helping, 50% for finishing. So if its worth 10 points, and you build it to 40%, then that gives you 2 points. Build it to 80%, 4 points. Build it to 99%, you still only get 4.995 points (I think, not gonna bother checking it) but if you finish it (which actually ACTIVATES it, and gives the team the BENIFIT you BUILT IT FOR) you get the remaining 50%, or 5 points remaining.
    Obviously this would effect everyone who helped, and when finished, everyone who was working on it when it finishes gets the points they earned, ignoring anyone else helping, just looking at what progress occured while they were helping. Obviously this would be highly abusable IF points were resources, but they pretty much give an idea of how much you helped the team.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1918233:date=Mar 26 2012, 09:28 PM:name=Laosh'Ra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Laosh'Ra @ Mar 26 2012, 09:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1918233"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the score is currently part of the game and unless it is removed (which i hope will not happen, because people might focus on that kill-death-ratio stuff then) it should at least be decently fair and accurate.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

^ This! It's really easy to implement a fair point splitting and will help to show, who is actually valuable for the team and who not.
    Make the same with damage on players and buildings. No need to reward only the one who lands the killing blow.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=1918533:date=Mar 27 2012, 03:02 PM:name=_Necro_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (_Necro_ @ Mar 27 2012, 03:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1918533"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->^ This! It's really easy to implement a fair point splitting and will help to show, who is actually valuable for the team and who not.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Poor gorges ;)
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    Whoever is building as it finishes gets the points, if more then one player then both get full points.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1918585:date=Mar 27 2012, 05:06 PM:name=Bicsum)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bicsum @ Mar 27 2012, 05:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1918585"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Poor gorges ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But they get points for placing buildings too. And they should get points for healing and speeding up the build process of a building.
  • FroztyFrozty SWEDEN Join Date: 2012-01-22 Member: 141596Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1918884:date=Mar 28 2012, 01:52 AM:name=_Necro_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (_Necro_ @ Mar 28 2012, 01:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1918884"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But they get points for placing buildings too. And they should get points for healing and speeding up the build process of a building.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

True that. You should get points for healing and repairing.