Counterstrike Selection 2 Source 4 Dead

2»

Comments

• Master BlasterMaster Blaster Join Date: 2012-03-17 Member: 148908Banned
    <!--quoteo(post=1917197:date=Mar 24 2012, 11:38 AM:name=OnosFactory)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OnosFactory @ Mar 24 2012, 11:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1917197"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How about the 'you need an infantry portal' spoken in a fighterjet lady voice? I think people feel insulted by the game/some of the messages because they are aware, paying attention and enjoying the game. Then our immersion is broken by the fact some chick is telling me about infantry portals whilst im supposividly dead...

That and the big 'x onos' y' kill banners, its already displayed in the top right corner, I'd rather spend my dying seconds getting recon on the area I died in or reason I died so next life I have some sort of plan, not looking at pretty icons. I know I got onosed, its big and hard to miss when its smacking one all over the show.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I personally prefer the third-person kill view.
  • DaphistoDaphisto Hive Janitor Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8917Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I like the new build a lot. Whatever UWE is doing, keep doing it!!!

Can't wait for heavy armor suits....
  • TAPETRVETAPETRVE Join Date: 2011-02-08 Member: 80866Members
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1917197:date=Mar 24 2012, 09:38 PM:name=OnosFactory)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OnosFactory @ Mar 24 2012, 09:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1917197"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That and the big 'x onos' y' kill banners, its already displayed in the top right corner, I'd rather spend my dying seconds getting recon on the area I died in or reason I died so next life I have some sort of plan, not looking at pretty icons. I know I got onosed, its big and hard to miss when its smacking one all over the show.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, it certainly adds some schadenfreude.
    On the other hand, this is not <i>CoD</i> and vengeance kills are not part of the modus operandi, so better not give the n00bs any ideas :-> .
  • saltybp53saltybp53 Join Date: 2010-07-22 Member: 72675Members
    Just wondering, does ns2 still follow the "Easy to learn, yet hard to master" philosophy? Ns2 still has the depth of original ns1, just with less confusing tech trees and more helpful hints, in my opinion.

A dev might need to comment on this thread, so we can see why they made these changes and if they really plan on dumbing it down or sticking to the basics.
  • LazerLazer Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14406Members, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    edited March 2012
    Was playing on a bunch of pubs last night and noticed the game seems more balanced between the teams. I think part of what helped is drifters costing team res resulting in 2nd hives going up later and more time for the marines to prepare for leaping skulks and blinking fades. Still not sure what I think about no hive requirements on greater lifeforms however. Shadowstepping fades are still pretty damn powerful, and although I realize some may disagree, the 2nd hive really does need to be a critical part of gameplay. Right now it feels like the 2nd hive has gone from a requirement to a luxury (coming from someone who plays a lot of alien comm).

Also most of the new HUD notifications are quite useful and I wouldn't necessarily call them dumbing down, more like streamlined. For example in NS1 there were hive icons on the side of the screen and when a hive was attacked would flash red but now we get a conveniently placed warning in the center of the screen saying in text which hive. As an old NS1 vet I don't feel like this is hand holding or an attack on my intelligence, more so just a welcomed feature. I do find the green death splat a little annoying though, I liked seeing around me when killed.

So IMO most of these changes have generally been for the better. Having played since NS1 and strongly believing certain key principles need to carry over to NS2, I have been quite happy with the direction of things. I'm just concerned about lifeforms not being locked to extra hives right now. That's one of the biggest incentives for alien expansion and a rather significant reason for the aliens to group up and hold specific territories.
  • GraveGrave Join Date: 2007-12-28 Member: 63285Members
    My main concern is that it feels too much like Combat Only mode from NS1. Sure it was fun, but it didn't have that much lasting appeal to me. What kept me playing NS1 for so long was the tense cat and mouse skulk gameplay, the tactical teamwork and the epic feel of matches. The maps were _bigger_ and if you got the commander to waste res on spamming medpacks you still felt like you contributed to the team by making him spend valuable resources (can you tell i play as alien?)

the RTS side of it needs to be beefed up a little, and while i appreciate that they dont want the game to be 1000% dependent on a pro commander, it still needs to feel like res nodes and things like medpack spamming are more important. I didnt get the feeling that harassing the enemies res supply was being super helpful, because the rest of the team just rushed the base and killed everyone while i was off completing an important secret tactical mission. I pretty much agree with the OP, and also feel like a lot of the psychological flavor could be reintroduced with larger maps and res being more important.

I feel like this will give everyone a clear objective to work as a team to protect and attack certain key points, creating natural conflict areas. Hopefully there will be enough of these so that a small strike team could try and sneak away from the main battle and throw a wrench in the works of the enemy team, and not make it feel like the game is lost if you dont take X point on the map.

so i guess in summary:

bigger maps, slow down gameplay, beef rts component so it feels like FPS + starcraft. (okay not 8000 apm, but you get the idea)
  • DreirabenDreiraben Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146702Members
    @ Grave and Lazer

Exactly, the game got way to fast , and it really is all about collect some rez spam tech and rush the enemy base, instead of tactical advance and fighting for mapcontrol. And Lazer . I feel the same about 2nd hive. The second hive made all the difference in the feeling if how each faction is played. The aliens had to be more offense and expand to develop, while the marines didnt necessarily need a second Com. But right now the two factions are pretty much the same gameplaywise