Top-down spectate mode

analogyanalogy Join Date: 2010-04-11 Member: 71339Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Commander-style!</div>This game would be so tremendously more watchable as a spectator if you could spectate from commander view and see the action top-down. Just don't show the commander HUD, make the minimap a bit bigger and let the spectator click on the minimap to jump to a certain location if they see something about to happen.

This could make NS2 the most watchable FPS e-sport out there, guys.

Comments

• slayer20slayer20 Killed a man once. Join Date: 2007-12-13 Member: 63157Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I agree 100%

This would make spectating so much more enjoyable.
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2012
    Alongside your suggestion, I'd like if they implemented a transition they showed(most likely created with some clever video editing) in the old beta trailer

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_UHXOoUWu5s"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_UHXOoUWu5s" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>

Skip to 42 seconds in.

From going into a players view from the overhead perspective and vice versa. Of course with an option to toggle this off for those who wanted instant response, but I feel with it enabled it would keep viewers who aren't as familiar with the game and its maps from getting too disorientated by the switch.
  • RanakastraszRanakastrasz Join Date: 2012-02-26 Member: 147512Members
    Would be a good idea imo.

Also, Fast-panning via shift while zoomed in would be useful, as would the ability to use E on a phasegate as a spectator, to, say, follow the marine team, same blur animation and all.
  • ForssForss Join Date: 2011-10-30 Member: 130180Members
    edited March 2012
    Good suggestion. FPS games in general are always a bit hard to follow as a spectator. Especially games with more complicated geometry as NS.
  • analogyanalogy Join Date: 2010-04-11 Member: 71339Members
    Actually, I'd say NS maps are uniquely suitable for this type of spectating since they must be explicitly designed with a top-down view in mind for the commander... NS maps are restricted to being significantly less complex than maps for other games.

Also, something like TF2's spectator HUD where there is a compact listing of every player in the game and their hp/class/weapon status.

Also, another neat thing TF2 does is assign a number to every player in the game (visible as a small number by their name in the spectator hud), and allow you to instantly jump to that player by pressing their number. If I'm watching a TF2 match, I can pretty much jump between the central focus of each team by remembering which number is each medic and hitting it to toggle. I bound - and = to slot11 and slot12 so I could get all 12 players in there.

A larger minimap when in spec mode to make it more stream-friendly... Try to make all spec hud elements read well in 480p.