Fun Onos bug

ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
So I can't really tell where bugs get posted, and I also kind of want to see people use this before it gets fixed, soooo:

You know when you are cloaked, and you hold crouch to go slowly so you don't become visible? Well you can do this with the Onos as well, big surprise. However, it seems that while you are doing this the speed modifier the Onos gets from momentum continues to increase as if you were walking normally. Slowly move in a direction for 15-20 seconds while cloaked, and when you let go of crouch, you go <b>really really</b> fast. Its like slingshot action.

I want to see this widely used before the next build!

Comments

• wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    Haha, that sounds awesome. I'm so trying this.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    <a href="https://getsatisfaction.com/unknownworlds" target="_blank">https://getsatisfaction.com/unknownworlds</a>
    is the official place to submit bugs.
    only if its major/ignored do people sometimes post it here
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1915564:date=Mar 20 2012, 03:28 PM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Mar 20 2012, 03:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1915564"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So I can't really tell where bugs get posted, and I also kind of want to see people use this before it gets fixed, soooo:

You know when you are cloaked, and you hold crouch to go slowly so you don't become visible? Well you can do this with the Onos as well, big surprise. However, it seems that while you are doing this the speed modifier the Onos gets from momentum continues to increase as if you were walking normally. Slowly move in a direction for 15-20 seconds while cloaked, and when you let go of crouch, you go <b>really really</b> fast. Its like slingshot action.

I want to see this widely used before the next build!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

hmm, im wondering if i should fix that now, sounds like fun
  • SideOfBeefSideOfBeef Join Date: 2012-03-04 Member: 148064Members
    edited March 2012
    To be honest, the Onos speed buildup mechanic feels out of place in a game about cramped spaces. It seems more fitting to be able to trade time (standing still, or relatively still, charging up) for a burst of speed.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    Haven't tried Onos Slingshot yet, but it sounds fun.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    Seems almost like a feature.
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    Sounds like it would scare the crap out of marines if you got a bunch of onii doing it at once. :P
  • ÒŗăNģёÒŗăNģё Join Date: 2012-02-09 Member: 144437Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    This has been in for awhile, I think its the devs way of giving the onos a chance while exiting cloak, or there would be no point to stay cloaked unless you are camping a spot that marines will walk into you
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1915722:date=Mar 21 2012, 05:29 AM:name=ÒŗăNģё)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ÒŗăNģё @ Mar 21 2012, 05:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1915722"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This has been in for awhile, I think its the devs way of giving the onos a chance while exiting cloak, or there would be no point to stay cloaked unless you are camping a spot that marines will walk into you<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think you underestimate the speed boost. Its rather comical really. No way its intentional.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Imbalanxd, I believe you're referring to Camouflage, which is an optional personal upgrade. Perhaps it should stay as a feature. :D
  • BJHBnade_spammerBJHBnade_spammer Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42431Members
    does it work without being cloked?
  • OhnojojoOhnojojo Join Date: 2011-08-01 Member: 113400Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1915857:date=Mar 21 2012, 07:08 AM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Mar 21 2012, 07:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1915857"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think you underestimate the speed boost. Its rather comical really. No way its intentional.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

because, bacteria
  • ÒŗăNģёÒŗăNģё Join Date: 2012-02-09 Member: 144437Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1915857:date=Mar 21 2012, 05:08 AM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Mar 21 2012, 05:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1915857"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think you underestimate the speed boost. Its rather comical really. No way its intentional.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not at all. It builds as if you were running for that amount of time and when uncloaked you transition to that speed. I think it was somewhat intentional as a charge but over done, an onos in cloak is basically useless at chasing after a marine so it just needs to sit around in a spot until the marine falls into its trap.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    I've just tried it in a listen server, and honestly, it doesn't seem strong at all. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but it seems like it barely gives you any boost. You might as well just start running without crouching first; you get up to full speed pretty quickly as it is.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1916004:date=Mar 21 2012, 10:01 PM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Mar 21 2012, 10:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1916004"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've just tried it in a listen server, and honestly, it doesn't seem strong at all. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but it seems like it barely gives you any boost. You might as well just start running without crouching first; you get up to full speed pretty quickly as it is.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Definitely doing it wrong then. 10 to 15 seconds will get you a respectably rapid speed. Do it for 30 to 40 seconds and you can go faster than I've seen anything move in NS before.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    techercizer last night to me: "Oh god, he's charging up with crouch!!"
    lol

if you get away with waiting a whole 40 seconds just outside of marine base, crouching, i think you deserve some speed :)
    there's a lot of tradeoff here. plus without the onos actually knocking down anything while running - its not such an advantage in combat, just travel.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Now we just need to test it with Celerity :D