Discussion of Marine Weapons in NS2

Master BlasterMaster Blaster Join Date: 2012-03-17 Member: 148908Banned
<div class="IPBDescription">When you shoot a nuke down a bughole...</div>I noticed in another thread someone bringing up the fact that marines have weapons more primitive than modern weapons. For example, we currently have shotguns (like the AA12) that can fire 20 shells or 20 grenades in 4 seconds or less. Undoubtedly one of the major concerns is that giving marines overpowered super-weapons will ruin the game, so this is more of a relaxed discussion of possibilities or fun ideas even if they would totally screw up the game. I'm sure this thread may have come up already but I was just thinking about it.

Starship Troopers of course has nukes and some NS1 servers even put that line in from the movie "Shoot a nuke down a bughole, you get a lotta dead bugs AMIRITE??" in their server sounds list.

The Fallout games (notably Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas) has some interesting futuristic weapons -- such as the mini-nuke. I think adding a small mushroom cloud might make the game more like a cartoon, but I have always loved how it looks in Fallout.

I like the grenade launcher in NS2 because you can still use your LMG along with it, but somehow feeding one grenade at a time feels very primitive. Of course, being able to shoot 20 grenades in four seconds would effectively ruin the whole game :)

The knife-axe in NS2 is definitely nice, and I get probably one-third of my skulk kills from it. Of course, in Counter-Strike my knife was a giant fish and my grenade was a dog....

The Alien films all have weapons close to modern weapons and it worked well. Someone suggested that marines have a weapon that shoots a net that slowly closes in on the target like Predator and I thought that was pretty hilarious.

Comments

• TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    I want to see a bunch of rope or a lasso that Marines can use to hog-tie a Gorge. =P
  • sheena_yanaisheena_yanai Join Date: 2002-12-23 Member: 11426Members
    edited March 2012
    i want to see a slingshot... they could call it the

<div align='center'><!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><b>"Alterra 50mm payload delivery system"
    </b>
    <!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></div>

<div align='center'>and for projectiles it is using onos pee jarate</div>
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    edited March 2012
    If your interested in why the marines seem to use such primitive tech from a lore standpoint, I think I have the answer.

Anti-Nanites (AKA, The Kharaa)

It is well stated in the lore that the Kharaa bacteria has a nasty habit of jamming and gunking up nanites systems. So from this, the super awesome death lasers that the TSF would normally equip their marines with become unreliable and down right dangerous. Have you ever see what happens when a super awesome death laser gets a bunch of Kharaa junk on its <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLDgQg6bq7o" target="_blank">Turbo Encabulator</a>? If you are lucky, you can at least send the feet of the poor ###### holding it back to his family for burial.....

So, the TSF has decided to go back to the more traditional and reliable methods of killing stuff. Send a couple of metallic objects flying through the baddies head at high speed and the result will be one dead bad guy. The less fine tolerances required by these projectile weapons makes them much more reliable when fighting a Kharaa infestation.

Link is to youtube, totally worth it for the lols : )
    It really reminds me of all the random techno babble that makes the NS lore so fun to read!

edited to TSF cause why not
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2012
    Guess the upcoming railgun is an exception? First Turbo Encabulator prototype with anti Kharaa junk shielding? :P
    Railguns are just a pair of conductive wires with a long barrel. The grenade launcher is probably more complicated.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2012
    Yeah and laser is also just a fancy flashlight?

Its not that easy to build lightweight energy source and condensators that are capable to give us a few gigawatts for a shot with a railgun, otherwise there would be some today. (talking about portable like an assaultrifle, and not like the us navy prototype)

Edit: and depending on how strong this thing is, im not sure if you could just shoot it shoulder mounted without any fancy dampeners or whatever... i mean im talking about a railgun and not a over-engineered slingshot.
    Isn't that why you need an Exosuit to wield it? It's too heavy for a normal marine to lift.
    edited March 2012
    Dunno if its exo only, guess it will be yeah... tho still i wouldnt say that its as simple as a gun or something, but whatever... its not real and its pointless to discuss it its not affected by the same problems marines would have with their other hightech weapons period. (just wanted to make a joke about the encabulator)
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I love this pseudo game science, hilarious!
  • SideOfBeefSideOfBeef Join Date: 2012-03-04 Member: 148064Members
    I can't bring myself to think about the marines "technology" while they still don't have sights on their guns.
  • saltybp53saltybp53 Join Date: 2010-07-22 Member: 72675Members
    A realism argument in my ns2?Oh man, I'm going to enjoy this!
    •50 rounds in what looks like a 20 round clip those old m16a1s used to have, before those standard issue 30 round NATO clips
    •Bullets still have shells or castings or whatever, even though we have electromagnetic pulses
    •No lasers. Granted, lasers only give you burns, but still!
    •9mm pistol does more damage the a rifle round
    •I hold all my mags and clips in my mouth
    •Nade launchair throws rifle backwards due to recoil, this would be the case if it was underneath, but it's not.

I still love ns2, but it's fun to nitpick. :D
  • Shrike3OShrike3O Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6678Members, Constellation
    The reticle directly projects onto their HUD. Who needs iron sights? :)
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1915632:date=Mar 20 2012, 06:26 PM:name=Shrike3O)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shrike3O @ Mar 20 2012, 06:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1915632"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The reticle directly projects onto their HUD. Who needs iron sights? :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I would prefer iron sights, and removing rifle butting.
  • Ice30Ice30 Join Date: 2011-11-26 Member: 135365Members
    Marines should be able to duct tape their rifle with grenade launcher onto the flamethrower all bad ass style like Ripley. lol now thats high tech
  • mechanicalDRmechanicalDR Join Date: 2012-03-20 Member: 149019Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1915642:date=Mar 20 2012, 03:48 PM:name=TimMc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TimMc @ Mar 20 2012, 03:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1915642"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would prefer iron sights, and removing rifle butting.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    *HIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS*
  • Shrike3OShrike3O Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6678Members, Constellation
    Yeah, I'd much rather be able to smash something with the 8 pound club I'm holding AND have a technologically advanced sight than aim down the nonexistent sights of a rifle.
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Marines have jetpacks! Yeaaaaah!
  • assbdaassbda Join Date: 2011-05-02 Member: 96737Members
    edited March 2012
    I always liked the weapons in unreal tournament g.o.t.y edition

I can always picture the fade using the ripsaw that shoots out blades to chop marines heads off, just like a predator.

Dual pistols was cool too
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    ever noticed the star wars universe doesn't have cell phones?
  • croncron Join Date: 2010-06-21 Member: 72122Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1915814:date=Mar 21 2012, 10:49 AM:name=DJPenguin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DJPenguin @ Mar 21 2012, 10:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1915814"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->ever noticed the star wars universe doesn't have cell phones?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's because Star Wars takes place in the past. Obviously.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    I would like the chance to upgrade the marine weapons to make them less generic and more versatile.
  • FroztyFrozty SWEDEN Join Date: 2012-01-22 Member: 141596Members
    Would like to see something with like "Infrared-Goggles".
    Or maybe just add it on a scope on some new rifle.
  • Josh86Josh86 Join Date: 2010-12-06 Member: 75513Members
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->ever noticed the star wars universe doesn't have cell phones?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hah, this reminded me of <i>Star Trek</i> (60's). They have those little communicators that flip open just like a flip phone. They didn't even put them next to their ear...must've been on speakerphone, heh. Better yet, in <i>Next Generation</i> they used the badges on their outfits, right? That's bluetooth ;D.

I know what you mean about weapons. I am a little nit-picky. I don't get distracted by those details anymore now that there's no much more content in the game. I'm glad the rifle shells eject out the right side of the gun, though. I am pretty excited for the exo-suit and weapons. Jetpack was a nice addition at the time, but it seldom sees good use at the moment. Most everyone went heavies first in NS1 anyway. WOO WOO, HEAVY TRAIN! Pretty much unstoppable unless you had some really good Fades or an Onos to devour.

If you want a game that focuses on weapons, try Firearms: Source. That's in beta too (slow to update). It's kind of a fast paced shooter (unfortunately) but it's fun to use all the different weapons and attachments.

Sweet avatar, Buzter. I gotta sit down and watch Aliens again one of these weekends.
  • DooM-AUDooM-AU Join Date: 2011-06-27 Member: 106715Members
    A-bit off topic here.
    I think the way the NS2 Marine weapons are designed a bit backwards, folding guns never really caught on especially when weapons these days are small.
    NS2 seems to live in the days of WW1/2 with big, long barreled guns like the BAR and the M1 GARAND. I think they should check out Bull-pup's and Carbine's as they are the most compact weapons you can get, in this day and age.

Take a look at one of the designs <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullpup" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullpup</a> and/or <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbine#Shorter_rifles.2C_shorter_carbines:_World_War_I_and_World_War_II" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbine#Short...nd_World_War_II</a> (Scroll down to modern History). I think, if the AR in NS2 gets attention(again), please take into consideration the Bull-pup/Carbine idea/design.

The pistol, I think the Luger concept is a bit out of place, after all the Luger was made back in the days of WW1, and the Toggle-Lock concept wasn't very practicable especially when Short recoil operation (Auto/Slide) was far more effective for military personal. <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-automatic_pistol" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-automatic_pistol</a>

The Shotgun, needs to have the receiver put underneath. <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pump-action" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pump-action</a> (That's about it for the shotgun really)

I know this is a game, and some models are Placeholders (and will get changed), and clearly UWE doesn't have the resources to be changing things. I get where Cory comes from with the whole Fold up type thing going for the Marines, but I think it works well for the Buildings, not so much the weapons. (I would like to hear from Cory about this.)

Also Adding to the topic.
    I suppose you'd want a <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sALiuWg_I1k" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sALiuWg_I1k</a> for the Heavy Armor, you know because a 30MM that would laugh at 9402942042849904809801830139021809019823107+ Onos' rushing Him/Her. I think some of the new military toys should be used for design concepts (looks). But, for what they do, to put in a video game, yea, Real life is a ###### when it comes to balance :3.
  • TAPETRVETAPETRVE Join Date: 2011-02-08 Member: 80866Members
    I still wonder where they get the 1.21 Jiggowatts to power their infantry portals.
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1915935:date=Mar 21 2012, 10:30 AM:name=TAPETRVE)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TAPETRVE @ Mar 21 2012, 10:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1915935"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I still wonder where they get the 1.21 Jiggowatts to power their infantry portals.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nanites
  • XosteanXostean Join Date: 2012-02-17 Member: 146370Members
    .....you get a lot of dead bugs

(sorry had to)
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    edited March 2012
    My main issue with marine weapons: <b>they disappear too fast</b>.
  • Heroman117Heroman117 Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73268Members
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1916211:date=Mar 22 2012, 01:46 AM:name=LV426-Colonist)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LV426-Colonist @ Mar 22 2012, 01:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1916211"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My main issue with marine weapons: <b>they disappear too fast</b>.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

As i recall isn't it intended that you only are allowed to purchase advanced weapons (Nade launchers + Flamethrowers) from the advanced armory?

Seems logical enough, although I'm not sure what the gameplay implications are of this.

EDIT: ah you beat me to the edit before i finished typing up this post :P
  • TAPETRVETAPETRVE Join Date: 2011-02-08 Member: 80866Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1915942:date=Mar 21 2012, 06:39 PM:name=thefonz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (thefonz @ Mar 21 2012, 06:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1915942"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nanites<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nanites don't produce jiggowatts :D .