Small suggestion to balance fades

bobrunbobrun Join Date: 2012-03-06 Member: 148235Members
edited March 2012 in Ideas and Suggestions
Hi!

After 30 hours of playing NS2 (addicting game, it's been a long time since I've played a game like that), I a little suggestion that could help balance the fades without changing the world.

Currently, fades have two attacks. The "light" one(Swipe), who hits fast, and the "strong" one(Stab), who kill fast. From my experience, the strong one lack some effectiveness. It has a long firing delay, and when you account movement in it, chances of missing are high. The light one is, in my opinion, the best attack to use as a fade, because the chances of hitting are higher, it hit fast enough, and it is strong enough to dispatch a marine in less than 2 seconds.

So, my suggestion is simple. First, reduce the strength of the swipe a little (it's now at 70, let's say 55). For the Stab attack, make it one-hit kill, minimal delay.

-Whut?!

Yeah, the Stab attack should be a instant-kill, with a minimal delay at launch. BUT, add some lag after the hit, where the fade can't move and needs to recover. Something like a firing delay of 0.5 seconds, and a recover phase of 2 seconds.

-Why do something like that?

To balance the risk-reward of the attacks. It could enhance the tactics with the fade. You can insta-kill any marine on the map, but you have a price to pay. The price is low when the marine is alone, but can be really high when there's a group. Fades will need to have the backup of other aliens if he wants to insta-kill marines in a group, and aliens will certainly do their best to protect the fade, since it's their best weapon. You could also use strategy and use the fade to insta-kill dangerous marines (like flamers with jetpacks, or the HMG in future build).

Or the fade can play safe, and use his swipe to hit-and-run. Reducing the damage of the swipe is to create a balance of two interesting choice, instead of having a best all-around choice. And since fades will get the strongest attack in the game...

That way, I think it adds a more interesting choice to fades player. A really good fade player will be able to evaluate correctly the situation, use the best attack possible and keep its ability to wreck marines. At the same time, if a fade makes a mistake, it creates an opportunity for marines to shoot the hell out of the fade. A weaker swipe could trap a fade in staying too long around marines to hit-kill-and-run, and possibly get kill. And the insta-kill, if you miss it (or use it in front of 3 marines), I'm pretty sure you're dead.

TL;DR
-Swipe damage at 55
-Stab damage at 9999
-Stab firing delay at 0.5 seconds
-Stab recovery of 2 seconds with fade immobilized

Comments

• measlesmeasles Join Date: 2007-02-26 Member: 60122Members, Constellation
    So how many hit's to destroy the comm-chair? LOL

I41 really happy with the way fade is, now. Stab kills are gratifying over strategic..
  • Kama_BlueKama_Blue Join Date: 2012-03-13 Member: 148710Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1915016:date=Mar 19 2012, 06:09 AM:name=measles)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (measles @ Mar 19 2012, 06:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1915016"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So how many hit's to destroy the comm-chair? LOL

I41 really happy with the way fade is, now. Stab kills are gratifying over strategic..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I couldn't agree more. I really like the fade the way it is.
  • FlounderFlounder Join Date: 2004-09-12 Member: 31656Members
    Stab is good fun. It's fine the way it is now. Try blinking directly above the marine and starting stab while you drop to the ground. Aim at the confused marine. Profit. If he gets a little too far away from you, shadowstep while stabbing.

Silence + Stab = Marine Rage.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    So make fades even more annoying by making it completely impossible to avoid dying to them if they go for you? With your only consolation being the possibility of them dying too?

Or 'balance' them by making them able to one shot an exosuit? Are fully kitted out exosuits going to cost less than 50 res? If not, you just made the fade completely imbalanced.