Is the aimbot issue going to get fixed?

pachangapachanga Join Date: 2011-09-11 Member: 120835Members
I notice a few players in the beta have resorted to aimbot. It is tough to notice during alien but easy to spot when they are a marine. Is there anything that is going to curve this problem when the game gets release?

Comments

• MrGunnerMrGunner Join Date: 2003-01-03 Member: 11757Members, Constellation
    So you're saying that you are noticing players that are using aimbots in a game that has limited players and a non open source engine? They must be ###### dedicated cheaters.
  • redbaronredbaron Join Date: 2004-06-17 Member: 29358Members
    It seems to me a more realistic answer is lack of recoil making target tracking child's play and performance issues yet to be ironed out.
  • Kama_BlueKama_Blue Join Date: 2012-03-13 Member: 148710Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1914513:date=Mar 17 2012, 09:55 PM:name=MrGunner)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MrGunner @ Mar 17 2012, 09:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1914513"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So you're saying that you are noticing players that are using aimbots in a game that has limited players and a non open source engine? They must be ###### dedicated cheaters.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm pretty sure i could hack a crappy aimbot together in an hour or two. Wouldn't even need to see any of the games code at all.

It's not possible to fix aimbotting though, the best solution is simply let admins deal with them as they hack.
  • fallout1333fallout1333 Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147884Members
    edited March 2012
    People aimbotting in an engine using 80% open to being edited LUA. And you are surprised?

NS2 will have a lot of cheats once it is stable because the team did not develop a game, they tried to develop technology.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm fairly sure they will have methods for controlling this, but personally I haven't seen anything dodgy so far.

I think what is noticeable is performance, if you are on a medium quality server and someone has a decent setup and yours is running poorly, they seem to have a big advantage.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    Crap, they're on to me.
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1914526:date=Mar 18 2012, 08:08 PM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Mar 18 2012, 08:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1914526"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Crap, they're on to me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Step 1: Distribute lua and dll files to all dedicated servers
    Step 2: ?
    Step 3: Profit
  • hamham Join Date: 2011-08-31 Member: 119370Members, Constellation
    Hey that's funny because I notice a few players in the beta have resorted to aimbot. It is tough to notice during alien but easy to spot when they are a marine. Is there anything that is going to curve this problem when the game gets release?
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    It has been stated several times that in the final release, there will be consistency checks for the client side lua code.

Currently they are not enabled, to make it easier to develop mods. If the problem gets out of hand, i guess the consistency checks will get activated sooner. Which would be a shame for the nice modding community ns2 has.
  • shivshiv Join Date: 2010-04-11 Member: 71341Members, Constellation
    There are people who have played 100s of hours of NS2 and 100s if not 1000s of hours of NS1 or other FPS games. They have better aim and better reflexes than you, and more than likely a better computer. You were simply outplayed and now you're here on the forums complaining about hacks. Unless you have proof of cheating/hacking you should stop whining and go back to practicing.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2012
    @OP don't forget Marines have a Map that acts like ESP, so you see a Skulk hiding on the Map even if you can not see him. Also Marines have Obs/Scan that provides Motion Tracking.

That are 3 things that can be feeled as a Hack when you play Aliens. I din't know how many times I was Cloaked/Hiding and got shot by a Marine.

And the other thing is like Shiv said, some PPL have houndreds of hours in NS2 (me f.e. over 400) and 1000s of hours in NS1/Cs/AA etc.
  • FroztyFrozty SWEDEN Join Date: 2012-01-22 Member: 141596Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1914546:date=Mar 18 2012, 04:41 AM:name=Floodinator)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Floodinator @ Mar 18 2012, 04:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1914546"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->@OP don't forget Marines have a Map that acts like ESP, so you see a Skulk hiding on the Map even if you can not see him. Also Marines have Obs/Scan that provides Motion Tracking.

That are 3 things that can be feeled as a Hack when you play Aliens. I din't know how many times I was Cloaked/Hiding and got shot by a Marine.

And the other thing is like Shiv said, some PPL have houndreds of hours in NS2 (me f.e. over 400) and 1000s of hours in NS1/Cs/AA etc.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

True that.
    Last night 2 players accuse me for aimboting.
    And then i started to troll and they started to feed me :)
    Funny i was just defending the base & 2 nearest res we had, and with the scan as support there was no problem to find them. ( PREE FIRE is not "aimbot" )
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1914507:date=Mar 18 2012, 01:16 AM:name=pachanga)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pachanga @ Mar 18 2012, 01:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1914507"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I notice a few players in the beta have resorted to aimbot. It is tough to notice during alien but easy to spot when they are a marine. Is there anything that is going to curve this problem when the game gets release?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have 272 hours of NS2 played, almost exclusively during the last 10 or 15 patches. I'm also regularly a top 1-3 scoring/kdr player on my team/in the server.

I have not seen a single person botting, aimbotting, wallhacking, speedhacking, or any other kind of hacking.

People aren't cheating, you're just getting beat.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    In NS2 there are several hacks included in the game by the devs.

Wall Hack being one of the biggest. Although this is available for both teams, the Marine wall hack is much better than the Alien version.

Aimbot is an accusation that I believe comes from the 3rd person player model alignment issues. A player can be looking away from you with his 3rd person model, but is actually facing you in reality. Sometimes the model updates to the correct position in a single frame, looking very much like an aimbot, particularly if they just shot you :)
    Of course sometimes it doesn't and they kill you without ever looking at you :)
  • ubikjamubikjam Join Date: 2011-10-04 Member: 125618Members
    I really doubt this is an issue at the moment when there's only 100 or so people playing at a time, i've never noticed it. The only reason i'd like some anti-cheat is because people keep accusing each other of cheating in game and getting irrate. As soon as marines build a forward obs you know the "marine wall hack" complaints will start. It's like a microcosm for self-confirming superstitions...
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Just because a player is good doesn't mean they use an aimbot. Yes, it's possible (and fairly easy) to make an aimbot, but I haven't seen one yet.
  • FroztyFrozty SWEDEN Join Date: 2012-01-22 Member: 141596Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1914600:date=Mar 18 2012, 10:07 AM:name=Quovatis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quovatis @ Mar 18 2012, 10:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1914600"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just because a player is good doesn't mean they use an aimbot. Yes, it's possible (and fairly easy) to make an aimbot, but I haven't seen one yet.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Same. I havnt seen anyone with "100%" hit rating on Lerks :)
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    edited March 2012
    I haven't seen anything suspect. It's not like Battlefield 3 which I gave up because there were so many hackers with 50 kills and one or two deaths.

Thing about NS2 is that you might have half of the players getting very poor frames per second, and all kinds of lag, and the other half having a very smooth experience. Those players with bad performance, especially the players who aren't skilled, make easy pickings for the good players with high performance.

After I upgraded my system I went from being in the middle of the scoreboards to being often the highest scoring player on the team. I'm an average player but in NS2 I often get 2, 3 sometimes 4 times as many kills than deaths.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2012
    This is why we need some kind of indicator that aliens are actually being seen while in cloak or simply near an obs.
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1914515:date=Mar 18 2012, 02:03 AM:name=redbaron)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (redbaron @ Mar 18 2012, 02:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1914515"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It seems to me a more realistic answer is lack of recoil making target tracking child's play and performance issues yet to be ironed out.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah we clearly need random recoil and a bunch of other garbage mechanics to help bads who have poor movement. Thank you!
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1914544:date=Mar 18 2012, 02:33 AM:name=shiv)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shiv @ Mar 18 2012, 02:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1914544"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There are people who have played 100s of hours of NS2 and 100s if not 1000s of hours of NS1 or other FPS games. They have better aim and better reflexes than you, and more than likely a better computer. You were simply outplayed and now you're here on the forums complaining about hacks. Unless you have proof of cheating/hacking you should stop whining and go back to practicing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i share this sentiment but with a less condescending attitude. :)
    hampton says ppl accuse me of hacking.. maybe i should setup a live stream or webcam?
  • SkieSkie Skulk Progenitor Join Date: 2003-10-18 Member: 21766Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1914611:date=Mar 18 2012, 05:58 PM:name=BuzterOne)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BuzterOne @ Mar 18 2012, 05:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1914611"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Same. I havnt seen anyone with "100%" hit rating on Lerks :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You haven't played against Treffnix :D

But yeah. Hitting things in NS2 isn't very hard, it's a slow paced game. Any player with Quake background just jumps in and kills everyone as marines.
  • NSbadassNSbadass Join Date: 2012-02-28 Member: 147695Members
    I brought this up a while ago and people didn't want to hear it. My posts even got deleted. So its nice to see a thread addressing the issue. I had to stop playing because of a certain player who i wont make the mistake of naming again but his name starts with a D. It seems that other people are starting to get tired of him hacking too.
    <!--quoteo(post=1914704:date=Mar 18 2012, 05:47 PM:name=NSbadass)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NSbadass @ Mar 18 2012, 05:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1914704"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I brought this up a while ago and people didn't want to hear it. My posts even got deleted. So its nice to see a thread addressing the issue. I had to stop playing because of a certain player who i wont make the mistake of naming again but his name starts with a D. It seems that other people are starting to get tired of him hacking too.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

the problem with this is you can't really know dragon is hacking...he might just be really good. is there something wrong with that?
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    edited March 2012
    Just because someone can actually aim and you can't; that doesn't make them cheaters.

Now just stfu until you give us proof for justification.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    Not this argument again. *facepalm*

You know, if we started having consequences for people who called hacks all over the forums without concrete proof, I think we'd see the instances of "aimbotting" in NS2 decrease significantly.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2012
    All those who cry about aimbots, just go and look some Quake or Unreal vids:
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiolB5OCyeU&feature=youtube_gdata_player" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiolB5OCyeU...be_gdata_player</a>

So if you have a player that can aim as fast as these guys NS2 it would look like an aimbot.

But on the other side, if you take a look at modern Aimbots lile this:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3mDn0-qfuw&feature=youtube_gdata_player" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3mDn0-qfuw...be_gdata_player</a>

it is impossible to detect em by watching first person.
  • JuCCiJuCCi Join Date: 2011-08-08 Member: 114961Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1914731:date=Mar 18 2012, 06:34 PM:name=internetexplorer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (internetexplorer @ Mar 18 2012, 06:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1914731"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the problem with this is you can't really know dragon is hacking...he might just be really good. is there something wrong with that?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

He is talking about Dusk lol.
    Hold on guys I'm gonna join a CA server in quake live with 70 fov and use SICK AIMBOTS hahahahahah
  • DuskDusk Join Date: 2011-06-24 Member: 106114Members, Constellation
    Not this again. But i will add that there are a few issues with lag compensation that could make you think people are using aimbots. Insta lmg death and insta skulk deaths do happen.