Question regarding Infestation

SinditalSindital Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143971Members
So I was wondering if infestation, in it's final form, will be able to 'grow' on glass (as of now, it cannot. Not sure if this is a bug or intended) - and if so, will it be able to influence the current lighting in the room? I wonder about this each time I skulk around Alien or Flight Control, and it'd be a neat little display of Spark's dynamic lighting power, and definitely add immersion, and perhaps even a tactical aspect (Darkening rooms, obscuring visuals, etc). Anyway I was just curious if any of the designers could answer this!

Comments

• PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Hmm, I wonder. What would it look like to have Atrium's power node destroyed + infestation receding from the glass semi-dome?

Ray of sunshine with awesome atmospherics :3?
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    I think this is a cool idea. I want to see operations bathed in sickly looking green/yellow light.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    This would be great, I am tired of Atrium and the unceasing light of day!
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    This would be great :)

If I remember correctly, in the original tech demo for DI, it climbed over walls and ceilings etc, if the implementation could do that, it would be great.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Holy ######.

I just got a great idea from this. Infestation should most definitely MOVE. There's should be like vague green blobs shifting around, maybe some skin-colored tentacles flipping this way and that - why? What's the first thing that tells you a skulk is coming? Movement. Making infestation move around in a random fashion would not only look cool but would provide aliens tactical advantage! :O

Rite? :3
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    Actually, from purely an aesthetic point of view, I wouldn't mind if infestation appeared to have some sort of it's own ecosystem (non-interactive), like weird little plants, wet spots, mold/fungal growth like mounds/patches, maybe even little alien like insects for just extra atmosphere . The extra visuals could also slightly disguise the cyst node as well if need be, but I'd rather they didn't.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1913196:date=Mar 15 2012, 04:40 PM:name=Mestaritonttu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mestaritonttu @ Mar 15 2012, 04:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1913196"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Holy ######.

I just got a great idea from this. Infestation should most definitely MOVE. There's should be like vague green blobs shifting around, maybe some skin-colored tentacles flipping this way and that - why? What's the first thing that tells you a skulk is coming? Movement. Making infestation move around in a random fashion would not only look cool but would provide aliens tactical advantage! :O

Rite? :3<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agreed.
  • olisisolisis Join Date: 2003-02-01 Member: 12944Members
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1913201:date=Mar 15 2012, 10:11 AM:name=Kalabalana)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kalabalana @ Mar 15 2012, 10:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1913201"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Actually, from purely an aesthetic point of view, I wouldn't mind if infestation appeared to have some sort of it's own ecosystem (non-interactive), like weird little plants, wet spots, mold/fungal growth like mounds/patches, maybe even little alien like insects for just extra atmosphere . The extra visuals could also slightly disguise the cyst node as well if need be, but I'd rather they didn't.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I've been hoping for this for a long time. It could even show the age through procedural generation. The newly formed areas would have very little growth, but the growth at the source would have a bit larger mushrooms, hanging glowy fronds if on the ceiling, and some extra atmospheric arrhythmic pumping sounds, letting you know you are entering the "heart" of the infestation.

It would be fun if it would look like the weird mushroomy plants in the hive room of Ns_Origin as well, but not as large. <a href="http://yclo1.free.fr/galerie-ns/images/mus__e_natural_selection___maps/mus__e_de_mapping_de_ns.org_/ns_origin1.jpg" target="_blank">http://yclo1.free.fr/galerie-ns/images/mus.../ns_origin1.jpg</a> Always thought that was the first form of this idea anyway.
  • RyneRyne Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147408Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1913201:date=Mar 15 2012, 09:11 AM:name=Kalabalana)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kalabalana @ Mar 15 2012, 09:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1913201"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Actually, from purely an aesthetic point of view, I wouldn't mind if infestation appeared to have some sort of it's own ecosystem (non-interactive), like weird little plants, wet spots, mold/fungal growth like mounds/patches, maybe even little alien like insects for just extra atmosphere . The extra visuals could also slightly disguise the cyst node as well if need be, but I'd rather they didn't.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ha coincidentally I had this idea yesterday. I think it'd make the aliens much more ominous. Maybe alien grass that is half height of skulk making them blend a bit more. Restrict it to slow growth from hive in top of a faster base infestation maybe.

Here was my post on ideas forum: <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=117059" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=117059</a>
  • SinditalSindital Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143971Members
    Guys, I think you're taking this too far... This topic was merely a question directed to developers. I mean, these fungal growths and 'living' infestation suggestions are great and all but they require way more resources and time to make then I think they intend to invest into Infestation. And if not, feel free to make a suggestion thread, you can even link this topic as original post - but right now, I'm looking for an answer from the devs regarding infestation and dynamic lighting really.

Thanks for all the interest and ideas though, you should definitely put those up at the suggestion sub forum