New Fade Movment

LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
edited March 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
I find myself hitting the movement keys ALOT and this really ###### things up.

Comments

• PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    They're moving it to shift key, so no more sudden kamikaze side steps :)
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    edited March 2012
    I would rather not have it AT ALL honestly; but that will help hopefully.
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1911785:date=Mar 10 2012, 06:42 AM:name=LV426-Colonist)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LV426-Colonist @ Mar 10 2012, 06:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911785"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would rather not have it AT ALL honestly; but that will help hopefully.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why? A free quick jolt forward that combined with blink allow you to get anywhere on the map with 100% energy? WoW! ya take that away. Limit my options more. That's the ticket.
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    edited March 2012
    Isn't the fade blink movement enough?

This is just another unnecessary addition to the game.
  • xorexxorex Join Date: 2012-03-10 Member: 148550Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1911822:date=Mar 10 2012, 04:40 AM:name=LV426-Colonist)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LV426-Colonist @ Mar 10 2012, 04:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911822"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Isn't the fade blink movement enough?

This is just another unnecessary addition to the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Without the shadowstep ability the fades second attack is pretty useless. I've been having a lot of fun using the slow secondary attack as a fade and using shadowstep while the attack is in motion to quickly get to a marine for a 1 shot kill. I wouldn't say its better than the first attack by any means but it does 1 shot marines even if they have armor 2 upgraded(and it's just a lot more fun to mess around with). Without the shadowstep mechanic there would be no way I could use that attack.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    edited March 2012
    I have to say I don't see anybody using shadowstep anymore, do you ?
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Only by accident :)

When it comes in on the shift key, I'm more more people will try it again.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    I use it a lot, especially the strafe step in close combat. Sometimes by accident though.
  • SkieSkie Skulk Progenitor Join Date: 2003-10-18 Member: 21766Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's great for escaping when you are on fire.
    A bit too great.
  • ubikjamubikjam Join Date: 2011-10-04 Member: 125618Members
    I've been using it to dodge - because you can only blink in the direction you're looking now (I think).

From what you guys are saying it sounds like it doesn't require energy, is that right?

If that's the case I will be using it alot more.
  • XosteanXostean Join Date: 2012-02-17 Member: 146370Members
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1911785:date=Mar 10 2012, 02:42 AM:name=LV426-Colonist)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LV426-Colonist @ Mar 10 2012, 02:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911785"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would rather not have it AT ALL honestly; but that will help hopefully.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What the hell why?

Shadow step is probably the best ability fade currently has,

-Cost no Power to use
    -Nearly Impossible to hit while spamming it

Go run into a group of marines and spam Shadow step until they all need to reload, watch how funny it is to have them all die because they cant touch you
  • Gravity GraveGravity Grave California Join Date: 2012-03-10 Member: 148556Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yep, I find it especially awesome when I use up all my energy hacking away at things, and I still have a chance of escaping without blink.
  • eLRammsteineLRammstein Join Date: 2012-03-12 Member: 148654Members
    i love the new fade movement, i feel that moving it to shift will make it less effective, i.e you will not be able to strafe as much, I.M.O, the current movement make him seem liek a ghost dashing from place to place ready to strike. very deadly. shift will only make it weird to press d(right ) and shift to blink right. does any other fade fan agree? and if your argumetn is balance, the marines are to about to get a bunch more weapons and arsenal to deal with the aliens.

thats just my opinion, ive been playing since this build and i am new to the forums but i love this game!!!
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=1912317:date=Mar 12 2012, 03:04 PM:name=eLRammstein)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (eLRammstein @ Mar 12 2012, 03:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1912317"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i love the new fade movement, i feel that moving it to shift will make it less effective, i.e you will not be able to strafe as much, I.M.O, the current movement make him seem liek a ghost dashing from place to place ready to strike. very deadly. shift will only make it weird to press d(right ) and shift to blink right. does any other fade fan agree? and if your argumetn is balance, the marines are to about to get a bunch more weapons and arsenal to deal with the aliens.

thats just my opinion, ive been playing since this build and i am new to the forums but i love this game!!!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, but the problem is that people often shadow step by accident, getting them killed very fast. You won't need to keep it at the shift-button, you could just bind it to mouse 4 or so. It just needs to be removed from double tapping your movement keys.
    I bet you will like it better, when you get to test it (at least I will)
  • Bio88Bio88 Join Date: 2012-03-06 Member: 148267Members
    I haven't been using shadow step very much except by accident. I feel once it is bound to a certain key it will make it feel much more natural.
  • FlounderFlounder Join Date: 2004-09-12 Member: 31656Members
    I would like to see shadow step completely replace blink, and have it use energy. I'm sure that sounds like heresy, but I just don't see the need for two warp abilities.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1911898:date=Mar 10 2012, 07:44 PM:name=Xostean)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xostean @ Mar 10 2012, 07:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911898"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What the hell why?

Shadow step is probably the best ability fade currently has,<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not very helpful in a beta to look at it from this direction. It doesn't matter if it is his "best ability". In most cases this is even an indicator of wrong balance. But what am I writing. It's not that anyone who didn't want to see it this way, would change.

Arguments against shadow step:<ul><li>Shadow Step has killed the flamethrower as hardcounter to the fade. Because he needs no energy to flee now.</li><li>It feels redundant with blink and adds no new function. (Everything you do with shadow step, you can do with blink already.)</li><li>A neat solution (if you really want no energy cost) could be, to let the blink drain energy only after a half second (and increase energy drain in exchange.)</li></ul>

The funny thing is, that it has been added to make it easier for marines to kill a fade (because they can better predict, where he will be after a shadow step). But now he can flee even from a jetpack marine. Makes him overall more difficult to kill.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1912330:date=Mar 12 2012, 04:53 PM:name=Flounder)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flounder @ Mar 12 2012, 04:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1912330"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would like to see shadow step completely replace blink, and have it use energy. I'm sure that sounds like heresy, but I just don't see the need for two warp abilities.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Shadow step has no vertical component.
  • bLink`bLink` Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146506Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited March 2012
    I'm actually liking this now lol, but I have to adopt again when they move it to shift key.

I used to hate it because I was used to the build 198 movement of Fade.
    I cannot play fade until this is fixed.

I find myself going random directions every two seconds.
  • ubikjamubikjam Join Date: 2011-10-04 Member: 125618Members
    I agree that sidestep blinking needs to be brought back - but creating a whole new ability for it seems superfluous.

The current implementation with no energy cost defeats the object of flamers.
  • Banzai¥Banzai¥ Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143902Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1912330:date=Mar 12 2012, 09:53 AM:name=Flounder)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flounder @ Mar 12 2012, 09:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1912330"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would like to see shadow step completely replace blink, and have it use energy. I'm sure that sounds like heresy, but I just don't see the need for two warp abilities.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If that whole 1st hive allows fades thread becomes a reality, I could see your idea being used. At the moment I don't like that side-stepping consumes no energy, [sarcasm]<i>UW should just slap on an auto-lock system so fades can just shadow-rotate around marines and they can call it EZ-mode.</i>[/sarcasm]
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1911785:date=Mar 10 2012, 01:42 AM:name=LV426-Colonist)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LV426-Colonist @ Mar 10 2012, 01:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911785"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would rather not have it AT ALL honestly; but that will help hopefully. (Moving to shift key)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agree

<!--quoteo(post=1911811:date=Mar 10 2012, 04:35 AM:name=RisingSun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RisingSun @ Mar 10 2012, 04:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911811"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why? A free quick jolt forward that combined with blink allow you to get anywhere on the map with 100% energy? WoW! ya take that away. Limit my options more. That's the ticket.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Exactly why shadow step is bull######. A big, free, spamable advantage.

<!--quoteo(post=1911822:date=Mar 10 2012, 05:40 AM:name=LV426-Colonist)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LV426-Colonist @ Mar 10 2012, 05:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911822"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Isn't the fade blink movement enough?

This is just another unnecessary addition to the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm with ya on this.

<!--quoteo(post=1911860:date=Mar 10 2012, 09:23 AM:name=xorex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xorex @ Mar 10 2012, 09:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911860"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Without the shadowstep ability the fades second attack is pretty useless. I've been having a lot of fun using the slow secondary attack as a fade and using shadowstep while the attack is in motion to quickly get to a marine for a 1 shot kill. I wouldn't say its better than the first attack by any means but it does 1 shot marines even if they have armor 2 upgraded(and it's just a lot more fun to mess around with). Without the shadowstep mechanic there would be no way I could use that attack.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So you can attack, then shadowstep? Cool, but probably on the OP side.

<!--quoteo(post=1911882:date=Mar 10 2012, 11:39 AM:name=Skie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skie @ Mar 10 2012, 11:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911882"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's great for escaping when you are on fire.
    A bit too great.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yup

<!--quoteo(post=1911898:date=Mar 10 2012, 12:44 PM:name=Xostean)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xostean @ Mar 10 2012, 12:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911898"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What the hell why?

Shadow step is probably the best ability fade currently has,

-Cost no Power to use
    -Nearly Impossible to hit while spamming it

Go run into a group of marines and spam Shadow step until they all need to reload, watch how funny it is to have them all die because they cant touch you<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Again, why it needs changed. Free, spammy, OP bull######.

<!--quoteo(post=1912330:date=Mar 12 2012, 08:53 AM:name=Flounder)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flounder @ Mar 12 2012, 08:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1912330"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would like to see shadow step completely replace blink, and have it use energy. I'm sure that sounds like heresy, but I just don't see the need for two warp abilities.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Your damn right its heresy. Blink is much more useful anyway. (when they make it work in all directions again that is.)

<!--quoteo(post=1912331:date=Mar 12 2012, 08:57 AM:name=_Necro_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (_Necro_ @ Mar 12 2012, 08:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1912331"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not very helpful in a beta to look at it from this direction. It doesn't matter if it is his "best ability". In most cases this is even an indicator of wrong balance. But what am I writing. It's not that anyone who didn't want to see it this way, would change.

Arguments against shadow step:[list]
    [*]Shadow Step has killed the flamethrower as hardcounter to the fade. Because he needs no energy to flee now.
    [*]It feels redundant with blink and adds no new function. (Everything you do with shadow step, you can do with blink already.)
    [*]A neat solution (if you really want no energy cost) could be, to let the blink drain energy only after a half second
    The funny thing is, that it has been added to make it easier for marines to kill a fade (because they can better predict, where he will be after a shadow step). But now he can flee even from a jetpack marine. Makes him overall more difficult to kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well thought out arguements. I'd buy you a beer. I'd also try to post like that, but I'm posting from a phone. Pardon all the quotes. It was easier to do it this way on my phone.
  • NecropsYNecropsY Join Date: 2012-01-23 Member: 141746Members
    I dont think shadow step should Look like blink, it should remain visable and just move its model
    because you can damage it it shouldnt turn to energy form
    What the hell is your signature of?
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1912908:date=Mar 14 2012, 12:51 PM:name=ubikjam)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ubikjam @ Mar 14 2012, 12:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1912908"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I agree that sidestep blinking needs to be brought back - but creating a whole new ability for it seems superfluous.

The current implementation with no energy cost defeats the object of flamers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It doesn't defeat the purpose of flamethrowers because shadowstep is very difficult to control, not at all comparable to Blink in combat. And Blink was made more expensive which just makes it easier to drain when you're on fire. When I start getting flamed I retreat because I can't risk continuing a fight using only shadowsteps. We'll see how things stand after this patch though.

I agree though about two versions of Blink being superfluous, I still feel everything should be on the right mouse button one way or another.