Choke in combat

elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited March 2012 in Technical Support
Build 199.
Wondering if anyone else is getting choke spiking anywhere up to 100% in combat resulting in microstutters and bad hit reg. Would be nice to figure out if its a client/server problem or my connection..

Comments

• TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    Is the choke value from net_stats, or is it an inferred one?
  • Who is Mike Jones?Who is Mike Jones? Join Date: 2011-10-29 Member: 130080Members
    When were I get near an enemy player my computer lags up. I usually get a steady 60 fps but the second I go near a marine or skulk my screen lags out and I cant see anything.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Most likely a server issue. Type net_stats in the console and check the server rate. It'll probably be fluctuating in the 5-15 range.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    It has been around for a long time, I didn't noticed it recently, but I guess it's still there. And it's not link to tick rate :

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hRRLuzAAfyA"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hRRLuzAAfyA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>

Anybody knows what choke rate exactly is ?
  • SideOfBeefSideOfBeef Join Date: 2012-03-04 Member: 148064Members
    Been experiencing this as well, it feels like it's getting worse over time. The first day I played this game everything was fine and a few days later, today, it's pretty much unplayable.
  • ArgathorArgathor Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110942Members, Squad Five Blue
    I have had this for at least the last 5 patches. I get (mostly irrespective of server tickrate or client performance) continous spikes of choke, mostly concentrated around combat. It frequently reaches 80% or more during some fights. Occasionally during long matches where the server struggles, my base choke seems to settle at 20-30% and jump from there.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'm presuming what UWE refers to as choke is the same as Source, which is described <a href="http://www.fishtankclan.com/e107_plugins/content/content.php?content.44" target="_blank">here</a>:
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Choke - Choke is server lag. Choke basically means that your computer is sending your players position, and what he does (shoot, nade, knife) to the server, and its not getting there. Counter Strike Source default is to send your players actions to the server 30 times a second. Choke is caused by two things:

Your computer is sending too many packets to the server per second. If you try to send 100 commands to the server per second, and it can only accept 40, you are going to be getting 60 choke. This will make you SUCK, none of your shots will register, and only 40% of the things you try to make your player do will be done. (for solution, see below)

The server is not able to read all of the information being sent to it. This can be caused by network lag at the server, or CPU lag at the server. The client cannot control this, but can accomodate for it (solution below)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So, I could see how in heavy combat or during a long match it could get worse. I guess it could be a client-side, connection, or server-side issue and I'm not sure there is really anything you can do to fix it atm.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    mm i had a suspicion it might not just be me.
    And ya, the choke rate will still hit high in combat even with the server sitting at 30 ticks stable.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2012
    Ok, so i dont know how relevant this is but average rec kb/s seems to correlate with choke. So like when you enter a room with lots of players and buildings and stuff the avg rec kb/s will go up and so will the choke.

Also, standing still in a room, when the avg rec kb/s spikes above like 8-10 the choke also goes up proportionally somewhat. This leads me to ask whether this is because of optimized 'sleeping' code that activates all at once when you go into combat, causing it to flood the server?
    <!--quoteo(post=1910903:date=Mar 7 2012, 02:29 AM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Mar 7 2012, 02:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1910903"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also, standing still in a room, when the avg rec kb/s spikes above like 8-10 the choke also goes up proportionally somewhat. This leads me to ask whether this is because of optimized 'sleeping' code that activates all at once when you go into combat, causing it to flood the server?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You know, I bet it is. In particular, hydras go into a sleeping mode when no enemy units are around to help reduce their drag on servers. It makes a bit of sense that if, as a marine, you walk into a room full of hydras they'll all suddenly wake up at the same time and give you a momentary spike that might cause choke.
  • Visor1Visor1 Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140300Members
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1911095:date=Mar 7 2012, 04:54 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Mar 7 2012, 04:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911095"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You know, I bet it is. In particular, hydras go into a sleeping mode when no enemy units are around to help reduce their drag on servers. It makes a bit of sense that if, as a marine, you walk into a room full of hydras they'll all suddenly wake up at the same time and give you a momentary spike that might cause choke.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

My problem is I get really bad choke even if it's just 1v1 and nothing else in the room. I suspect being hit or having an alien close to me seems to cause very large spikes which get worse the more full the server is despite a tick rate of 30. My fps is generally over 40 on a full server unless the server tick rate starts to fall. The onoes patch was the only patch I didn't have this problem. In that patch it didn't matter if the server was full or if I was in combat everthing was silky smooth until the server performance or fps took a large hit.