Opt out of Beacon

1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
<div class="IPBDescription">The vegetarian Option</div>So I remember there being, a while back, a way to opt out of getting beaconed (I think it was holding e). I notice that it no longer works, why was it removed? I ask because often when we have set up a pg and are fighting tooth and nail to defend it and the comm will beacon everyone back for a rush through. This is all well and good, except those 5 secs of absence as the marines defending the pg get recalled the PG gets camped and we all die when we go through it. Needless to say this wouldnt happen if you could opt-out of bacon, so the marines already there could remain and keep up the defence. In conclusion, is it coming back? If not, why?

Comments

• ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I don't think there has ever been a build in NS2 in which you could opt out of a beacon. However, there used to be a bug in which some players didn't get beaconed because there wasn't enough space around the obs. Maybe this is what your thinking about?
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1909749:date=Mar 4 2012, 12:09 AM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Mar 4 2012, 12:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1909749"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't think there has ever been a build in NS2 in which you could opt out of a beacon. However, there used to be a bug in which some players didn't get beaconed because there wasn't enough space around the obs. Maybe this is what your thinking about?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No I distinctly remember it being listed in the changelog, and later holding some key (I think it was e) to opt out. Regardless, perhaps it is something that is worth adding? Loosing PGs because the guard got beaconed is very annoying.
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    edited March 2012
    Stuff like this should be up to the players. If your commander makes a terrible decision and leaves you with a meatgrinder on the other side of your gate, they should learn from that. In a more competitive setting, play with a commander who won't do that. The beacon-phasegate tradeoffs are one of the hallmarks of NS gameplay (like aliens biting people and having eyes in their mouths).

This is simple and doesn't require any time from the developers.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Can't wait for the time when the commander beacons and no one responds.
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1909751:date=Mar 4 2012, 12:16 AM:name=internetexplorer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (internetexplorer @ Mar 4 2012, 12:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1909751"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Stuff like this should be up to the players. If your commander makes a terrible decision and leaves you with a meatgrinder on the other side of your gate, they should learn from that. In a more competitive setting, play with a commander who won't do that. The beacon-phasegate tradeoffs are one of the hallmarks of NS gameplay (like aliens biting people and having eyes in their mouths).

This is simple and doesn't require any time from the developers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I do not see what you mean, what I meant was when the comm beacons people back to base for a rush through PG it also beacons the people defending the PG (the one your gonna be rushing through) leaving it open to get insta-camped. This has little to do with comm, unless you mean that he shouldnt beacon at all and just let everyone else rally on base.

<!--quoteo(post=1909754:date=Mar 4 2012, 12:25 AM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Mar 4 2012, 12:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1909754"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Can't wait for the time when the commander beacons and no one responds.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Cant wait for a time when comm beacons team back when hive is on 5%.
  • ÒŗăNģёÒŗăNģё Join Date: 2012-02-09 Member: 144437Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I seem to remember being able to avoid beacons by being on railings or jumping in the air but that doesn't seem to be around anymore. Would be nice to avoid beacon again, always annoying to be doing something such as having a harvester at 1%~ and be beaconed back.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'd support allowing the comm to designate players not to be beaconed, but I think it would highly counterproductive to let players opt themselves out. Remember, the primary role of the beacon is emergency base defense. If the comm beacons because 6 skulks are chomping on the CS and everyone opts out, that would be defeating the purpose of having beacon.
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    It might be annoying leaving a res tower on 1%, or having a phase built to 95% and to be beaconed, but thats how it is. It's a powerful move and need to have downsides, also i believe the commander should remain in control of this, I would hate to think that a single marine knows whats best for the overall outcome better than the commander does.
  • SolitarioSolitario Join Date: 2006-10-29 Member: 58097Members
    I'd love to see the Players decide, whether they get teleported back, or not!
  • Ph0enixPh0enix Join Date: 2002-10-08 Member: 1462Members, Constellation
    Beacon bringing everyone back makes for more interesting strategic decisions for the commander. He/she has to balance the need for whatever reason beacon is being used against removing marine presence from everywhere on the map i.e. is rushing a hive/fighting off a skulk rush worth potentially losing a forward base or RTs elsewhere ?

If you let marines opt out it removes that interesting decision the commander has to make hence i'm not in favour of it. You generally don't want to remove opportunities for difficult decisions in a game.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    Should be a commander decision only. Yes, sucks if he teleports you back to base when the hive is at 5%. But that's either a failure of communication which deserves to be punished, or a conscious decision made by the commander who believes it's necessary for some reason.
  • GrissiGrissi Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20314Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Beacon is a very powerful base defense tool, the drawback of using it is that marines lose all their map control when its used and they have to run back into the field(takes less time with phase gates).

If few marines could press E to prevent them to be teleported then this ability would be to powerful, then the marine team won't have to sacrifice anything to use beacon.

This could also be really annoying for the commander if he is using beacon to bring all his marines together for an attack.
  • EjquinnEjquinn Join Date: 2012-01-25 Member: 141995Members
    Oh god no, what an awful idea.

When I comm the most frustrating thing is having a team ignore orders. I've had players spawn and refuse to build buildings, refuse to defend an rt 15 yards away. So as a comm when I beacon I expect my whole team to be there. It's also an important device for aliens, if you are in trouble you have a couple skulks hit the Marine base and try to force a beacon.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    It was mentioned somewhere as an idea. I was opposed to it though because not being able to stay behind is an intentional drawback of using distress beacon.
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1909848:date=Mar 4 2012, 12:56 PM:name=Ph0enix)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ph0enix @ Mar 4 2012, 12:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1909848"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Beacon bringing everyone back makes for more interesting strategic decisions for the commander. He/she has to balance the need for whatever reason beacon is being used against removing marine presence from everywhere on the map i.e. is rushing a hive/fighting off a skulk rush worth potentially losing a forward base or RTs elsewhere ?

If you let marines opt out it removes that interesting decision the commander has to make hence i'm not in favour of it. You generally don't want to remove opportunities for difficult decisions in a game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Totally agree.

@ OP - I have been beacon'd at such points of almost finishing the RT or the PG situation you list but that is the Comms bad, unless i fail to communicate why i need 5 more seconds. In the pub scene this was also a good tool to group everyone up and get your rambos back in line. I had a comm beacon 3 times to grief said rambo till he listened (all scenarios played in NS1).

The Comm should live or die by their strat and should have the tools to get what they want. Whether it is a gather tool or an emergency base defense button they need this power. It has to be fun for them too (RTS wise). Getting into better pubs you can tell who an experienced comm is. Generally when the team LISTENS you win (good strats of course), but pubs are unreliable. That is why i love the competitive scene and the scrims. or pubs that host scrim like mods that they activate at certain times or have events and such.
    Dont speak like this will remove all downsides of beacon (whether its a comm or player power) You still loose presence in the majority of the map.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    If you need some time to finish off a hive all of all things, tell your commander that it is at 5% and can be finished so beacon has to wait a few seconds. Same goes for setting a PG or RT up, you commander is probably watching the progress of that PG or RT and would love feedback on whether it is done or need a few more seconds of building or welding even if it needs repairs...

Taking away control from the commander on this is a bad idea, a VERY bad idea at that... Besides with the PG as an example it is probably a beacon back to base to PG rush, so why would he beacon before the bloody thing is finished.

And trying to keep track of who beacons and who doesn't is just going to confuse the commander in any case...
  • antacidantacid Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61821Members, NS2 Playtester
    Opting out of beaconing would break the game balance wise, issuing a beacon is a double edged sword, it has drawbacks and benefits, you can't just remove the drawbacks and keep all of the benefits.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1909898:date=Mar 4 2012, 01:31 PM:name=1dominator1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1dominator1 @ Mar 4 2012, 01:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1909898"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Dont speak like this will remove all downsides of beacon (whether its a comm or player power) You still loose presence in the majority of the map.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It removes a huge portion of the downside. Even leaving a single player behind to finish/protect a phase gate could make all the difference when the aliens are trying to thwart a hive assault by forcing a beacon. It also makes it much more difficult to bring down a marine forward base when they can mass reinforce without leaving it vulnerable at all. Finally it undermines the comm's authority by leaving it up to the judgment of individual marines to decide whether or not they really are needed back at base.