So uh....Gorge snare

rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
<div class="IPBDescription">was that really necissary</div>It's not fun, the blinding was already a cool quirk for spit. Now you get almost rooted if you get hit with a spit on Alien creep.

Snare mechanics in FPS....they do not mix :(

Comments

• PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    edited March 2012
    Hmm, this was already the case before 199, albeit to a lesser extent (you'd have to be hit several times to get a noticeable snare effect, since Spit applies stacking slow effect.)

Infestation slows you by 10%, so naturally you'd feel slow if hit by Spit while on infestation :P
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    edited March 2012
    It's funny because the gorge already has lots of mechanics, and a snare effect would suit the lerk a lot more (since it's an offensive combat support class, whereas the gorge is more defensive). Snaring in FPS games can be annoying, but it can also be just fine if done well. I don't see anybody complaining about how the flamethrower effectively "snares" fades..

Imagine a world where the gorge still uses bile bomb and the lerk gets to trigger an enormous snare effect somehow. Hmmmmm...
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1908958:date=Mar 1 2012, 07:38 PM:name=internetexplorer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (internetexplorer @ Mar 1 2012, 07:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908958"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...a snare effect would suit the lerk a lot more...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

my literal first thoughts on reading.....

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhpS69eAXrU&feature=youtu.be&t=38s" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhpS69eAXrU...tu.be&t=38s</a>
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yea.. some things are fun, one spitball to instantly immobilize not so much.
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1909017:date=Mar 1 2012, 09:33 PM:name=thefonz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (thefonz @ Mar 1 2012, 09:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1909017"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->my literal first thoughts on reading.....

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhpS69eAXrU&feature=youtu.be&t=38s" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhpS69eAXrU...tu.be&t=38s</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

honestly not a terrible idea (if there was some intuitive way to put it in this game)
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    I wasn't being too serious, it was just a humorous thought to me. Would be interesting though. Doubt it'll ever happen.
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1909017:date=Mar 2 2012, 02:33 AM:name=thefonz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (thefonz @ Mar 2 2012, 02:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1909017"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->my literal first thoughts on reading.....

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhpS69eAXrU&feature=youtu.be&t=38s" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhpS69eAXrU...tu.be&t=38s</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<u><b>This video is a video</b></u> about the Lerk versus an E.X.O. :D

To be honest, from reading about it (I haven't played NS2 recently because of the FPS issuse) this mechanism seems more useful for the gorge because it looks like more a defensive thing than offensive. For example, if a marine was trying to chop up your Orange Tomato plants you snare him/slow him getting more DPS off at that time hopefully killing <i>him</i> without him killing your plant.

If it was on the Lerk what would be so useful about it? Lerk is a fast range class so it doesn't need to slow an enemy in order to catch up. However, the gorge <i>is</i> so he would need something to slow them down in order to kill them (Or he could slide into them and knock them over like the Onos does because that would be funny :D).
  • ÒŗăNģёÒŗăNģё Join Date: 2012-02-09 Member: 144437Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I think its possibly conflicting with the friction changes, but hey, I'm no dev so I can't actually clerify why spit is so restricting now... in any case I hope its reworked next patch
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1908899:date=Mar 1 2012, 06:16 PM:name=rantology)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rantology @ Mar 1 2012, 06:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908899"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Snare mechanics in FPS....they do not mix :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2012
    Don't worry guys, this is a bug.
    It will hopefully be resolved in the next patch.
    I've only really played gorge in this patch, a team of gorges is worth more than a team of shotguns, LOL.
    On the note of gorges, heal should be slowed down a bit, it kills marines too fast.
    Two gorges with swarm are extremely deadly.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Good to know- it's a bit humorous in the current build :P
  • NecropsYNecropsY Join Date: 2012-01-23 Member: 141746Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1909233:date=Mar 2 2012, 09:28 AM:name=swalk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (swalk @ Mar 2 2012, 09:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1909233"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Don't worry guys, this is a bug.
    It will hopefully be resolved in the next patch.
    I've only really played gorge in this patch, a team of gorges is worth more than a team of shotguns, LOL.
    On the note of gorges, heal should be slowed down a bit, it kills marines too fast.
    Two gorges with swarm are extremely deadly.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Its retarded and compleatly overpowered

stop making stuns/ snares and slows in this game

Let people MOVE this is not a TURN based game