The little things

Deagle2Deagle2 Join Date: 2010-11-30 Member: 75360Members
edited March 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">That I think the game still lacks.</div>I keep thinking of those things, those are small, but kind of important IMO :

- First and most important one : Could you please make commander shortcuts adapted to azerty keyboards? When you got a qwerty keyboard I know you can access directly to the different sub-menus through the keys, but of course for azerty keyboards it doesn't work the way it should.

- Maybe it's a bug, but isn't the powernode currently rebuilding too fast? It's kind of awkward than currently it takes less time to build than to repair, plus the only alien that can kill it as fast(er) than the marines build it is the onos, wich almost makes it pointless to attack powernode.

- Also this is probably for balance purpose, but will res for kills ever come back? I find it frustrating not getting any reward for killing, you can get fade, onos, flamer, jetpack etc.. get tens of kills and then when you die you have no other options than waiting... if you don't have enough extractor you will wait for a long time...

- Welder is cool, but couldn't it be shortcuted to E key as well? Since it's used on the same structures as the builder and that you can't repair an unbuild structure.

- About skulk jump, and jump in general, I think it would be better if the player would auto-jump once when the key is pressed down. Basically it would avoid you having to "time" your jump to rejump (especially for skulk jumping from wall) but still it wouldn't mean that keeping it pressed down would make you jump like a crazy (since it only auto-jump once per pushdown).

- More to come as I think of it...

Thanks for your attention ! Love your game.

Comments

• RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited February 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=19075:date=Feb 27 2012, 07:35 PM:name=Deagle2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Deagle2 @ Feb 27 2012, 07:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=19075"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->- Welder is cool, but couldn't it be shortcuted to E key as well?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is a good point. Why replace the axe? Just have it hot keyed to takeover and improve the use function. The welder honestly shouldnt be a viable weapon like the axe imo.
  • zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1907593:date=Feb 27 2012, 09:23 PM:name=RisingSun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RisingSun @ Feb 27 2012, 09:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907593"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The welder honestly shouldnt be a viable weapon like the axe imo.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

wasn't the main gun in Dead Space a "welder" of some kind? I would expect a space-welder to be a more effective weapon than an axe, to be perfectly honest.
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1907584:date=Feb 27 2012, 01:35 PM:name=Deagle2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Deagle2 @ Feb 27 2012, 01:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907584"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->- Welder is cool, but couldn't it be shortcuted to E key as well?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But then how would marines be able to humiliate the aliens by killing them or the hive with a welder? It's NS1 tradition there.
  • DuskDusk Join Date: 2011-06-24 Member: 106114Members, Constellation
    Does the welder have the same damage and range as the axe?
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1907636:date=Feb 27 2012, 06:55 PM:name=Dusk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dusk @ Feb 27 2012, 06:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907636"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Does the welder have the same damage and range as the axe?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not from my ingame experience.

The idea of having welder auto used with the use key is an amazing idea.

Would also like weapon pick up be bound to another key, not use, maybe "G" or something to prevent conflicts of using something near a weapon on the floor, like at an armory.
  • Deagle2Deagle2 Join Date: 2010-11-30 Member: 75360Members
    My personnal idea wasn't to remove the other binding, but keeping both of them, but IMO the most logical is still to be able to just press E when you aim a structure, I would keep the other binding so you can arm it and hurt things like cysts etc also I don't think it would interfer with picking up weapon since the precise case for repairing is to aim at the structure and for picking up weapon you just need to be 1.5 m close to them. So if you want to pick up a weapon just don't aim a structure.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    The main issue here is how anyone will ever weld an armory or prototype lab if they pick "E" as the key to do so.

On that topic, why does everything in NS2 have to be based around the "E" key? I'm tired of fast-flipping weapons while building structures or buying new guns. Why can't we just have a button to use the welder, a button to pick up/drop weapons, and a button to use whatever we're looking at?

Back on the original topic, having the welder replace the axe makes it incredibly expensive in my opinion. I'd be willing to pay 5res, and I might be willing to switch it out for my axe if it was just a loadout decision, but the combined cost of losing your main anti-structure weapon and spending a chunk of your wealth on an irretrievable piece of your loadout means I seldom use it.
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1907656:date=Feb 27 2012, 05:29 PM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Feb 27 2012, 05:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907656"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd be willing to pay 5res, and I might be willing to switch it out for my axe if it was just a loadout decision, but the combined cost of losing your main anti-structure weapon and spending a chunk of your wealth on an irretrievable piece of your loadout means I seldom use it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You know you can drop the welder and you'll get your axe back. Just pick the welder back up after the structure is gone.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    The problem is that axe-usage is usually an impromptu every-second-counts maneuver for me. The time it takes me to switch out my gear could be the time it takes to get their hive from 2% to 0%.

I just don't like the added hassle of the whole thing. Coms have macs for welding, and if they really need something bad enough, they'll speak up and let us know.
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    edited February 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1907593:date=Feb 27 2012, 05:23 PM:name=RisingSun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RisingSun @ Feb 27 2012, 05:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907593"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is a good point. Why replace the axe? Just have it hot keyed to takeover and improve the use function. The welder honestly shouldnt be a viable weapon like the axe imo.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's a balancing mechanic. Just like you can't have a shotgun and an LMG, you can't have the ability to repair all your buildings AND rapidly damage enemy buildings without spending ammo. You make the choice of buying a welder - it's not an 'upgrade' like the jetpack and exosuit.

Look at it this way: They obviously had the choice to make it not replace the axe when they implemented it, and they didn't. They must have had reasons for that.

<!--quoteo(post=1907670:date=Feb 27 2012, 09:10 PM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Feb 27 2012, 09:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907670"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The problem is that axe-usage is usually an impromptu every-second-counts maneuver for me. The time it takes me to switch out my gear could be the time it takes to get their hive from 2% to 0%.

I just don't like the added hassle of the whole thing. Coms have macs for welding, and if they really need something bad enough, they'll speak up and let us know.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If the hive is at 2% and you need to use your axe to kill it, but you brought a welder, you deserve to not kill the hive. When does this situation ever happen? I would think *someone* could put a couple rifle bullets into that hive.

Like I said in the other thread, welder marines don't die to bile bombs (but MACs do). MACs have their limitations and the welder is mean to address them. It's a good thing! That doesn't mean you have to use it a lot, but it might be a good idea to try.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2012
    In my opinion the welder is not rewarding enough. I spend my personal res for the option to stand most of the time looking at buildings while repairing or running after other marines who don't think of standing still, so I can weld them. Its totally not rewarding to waste res on such a thing. If I don't buy a welder, I don't have to boring repair buildings.

In any case the com should be able to drop welders.

Oh and btw. You can kill buildings normally with the welder. Is it really slower as with the axe?
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1907683:date=Feb 28 2012, 12:48 AM:name=internetexplorer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (internetexplorer @ Feb 28 2012, 12:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907683"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's a balancing mechanic. Just like you can't have a shotgun and an LMG, you can't have the ability to repair all your buildings AND rapidly damage enemy buildings without spending ammo. You make the choice of buying a welder - it's not an 'upgrade' like the jetpack and exosuit.

Look at it this way: They obviously had the choice to make it not replace the axe when they implemented it, and they didn't. They must have had reasons for that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Never thought about it that way. Now i think it is even more ridiculous. The ability to repair already costs PRes and should be encouraged by having no penalty. No where else in the game do you see this kind of trade off. There just isn't a need for it.

Welders shouldn't need ammo and they need their own bind by "upgrading" your use key. When you weld you lower your weapon anyway. That is balance enough. Welding can only help your team and is a tedious dangerous task by itself without all the extra crap. Why make it worse?
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1907665:date=Feb 28 2012, 11:56 AM:name=Quovatis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quovatis @ Feb 28 2012, 11:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907665"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You know you can drop the welder and you'll get your axe back. Just pick the welder back up after the structure is gone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So obvious, yet I remained in the dark. Thank you!
  • Deagle2Deagle2 Join Date: 2010-11-30 Member: 75360Members
    Added :
    - About skulk jump, and jump in general, I think it would be better if the player would auto-jump once when the key is pressed down. Basically it would avoid you having to "time" your jump to rejump (especially for skulk jumping from wall) but still it wouldn't mean that keeping it pressed down would make you jump like a crazy (since it only auto-jump once per pushdown).
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    So the welder is an attachment for the build tool that every marine is equipped with. However, when purchasing the welder attachment, the welder takes the place of the axe. But the marine still has the axe if he drops the welder, and the welder doesn't drop from the marine's body upon death.

A marine could just drop it on the ground if he wanted to axe a structure, so the whole welder compromise is negated. Should just put it in the 4th slot with the mines.
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The little things, That I think the game still lacks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

When I first read this I thought:

<i><b>Frames Per Second?</b></i>
  • BearTaxiBearTaxi Join Date: 2011-11-15 Member: 133064Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1908835:date=Mar 2 2012, 05:19 AM:name=Deagle2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Deagle2 @ Mar 2 2012, 05:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908835"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->- About skulk jump, and jump in general, I think it would be better if the player would auto-jump once when the key is pressed down. <i><b><u>Basically it would avoid you having to "time" your jump to rejump</b></i></u> (especially for skulk jumping from wall) but still it wouldn't mean that keeping it pressed down would make you jump like a crazy (since it only auto-jump once per pushdown).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Possibly the worst idea I've ever heard.
    Why take away what litte skill there currently is in skulk movement?

Also if anything LESS things need to be bound to the 'E' key, not more.