It's like build, but so much better

DonkeyGravyDonkeyGravy Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147611Members
So, just bought the game. I still have yet to actually play the game but have managed to get sucked into the tools. All I can really say is wow. Wayyyyyy back in the day I used to pound out maps in Build for DN3D and shadow warrior. I tried, over the years, to get into the flow with other engines and tool sets. This is the first tool set that has jumped out at me and allowed me to just create. Everything today revolves around meshes *cough* CryEngine/UE3 *cough* and modular blocks *cough* Skyrim/Fallout 3 *cough* which end up really limiting what you can do without using a modeling package - and then you have to hope someone releases a plugin for blender if your not a programmer. 1 hour and I already have a space to run around in and be stupid - and it looks nothing like the other maps since the bulk of the geometry is unique!

Aside from a few initial hiccups figuring out the interface this is the easiest editor I have ever used. Thanks for making the tool's public. You made this middle aged guy's day. Seriously. I'm buying copies for a few of my friends (used to make mod's back in the day before being a grownup sucked the fun out of life...) I hope this project gets all the success it deserves.

Comments

• zastelszastels Join Date: 2003-11-29 Member: 23731Members
    We're in the same boat. I've been mapping about 10 years now, started in World Craft. I really disliked modelling packages and compile times, so spark is my new friend.

You plan on making an NS2 map or just messing around?
  • DonkeyGravyDonkeyGravy Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147611Members
    Right now I am messing around and getting comfortable inside the package. It's going to take me a week or so to get my footing. I need to start logging some serious play time as well to really get a feel for the strategy and flow of matches. I played NS a tiny bit so I am still very much a noob when it comes to the game. I do plan on releasing maps though.

World Craft... that brings back some memories. Not all of them happy either. I started out using radiant and eventually migrated over to WorldCraft/Hammer. Came in handy when TF2 finally released. That was one heck of a learning curve. I kept trying to add brushes by dragging. I rage quit all the time while transitioning over.....
  • JanosJanos Join Date: 2002-08-02 Member: 1050Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    You sound extremely enthusiastic which is a good thing, I look forward to seeing what come up with ;).
  • MavixMavix Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143966Members
    I think I had the same impression when first getting my hands on Spark. It is a lot more fun drawing and making faces compared to building brushes and compiling. There are still are some features I wish we had like Flip Vert/Horiz,
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1907725:date=Feb 28 2012, 05:55 AM:name=Mavix)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mavix @ Feb 28 2012, 05:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907725"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There are still are some features I wish we had like Flip Vert/Horiz,<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You have flip-x, flip-y and flip-z, as well as rotate -x,y & z, how many more ways to do the same job do you need :P :)
  • MavixMavix Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143966Members
    So there is that...

Ok, how about rotate/scale/move based on the selection's orientation (instead of by grid).
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1907762:date=Feb 28 2012, 07:54 AM:name=Mavix)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mavix @ Feb 28 2012, 07:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907762"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So there is that...

Ok, how about rotate/scale/move based on the selection's orientation (instead of by grid).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Now you're getting into complicated stuff! This is a quick tools build. The team are still looking for a tools programmer, must be nearly a year now :P Anyway, once the game is out the tools will improve, maybe even sooner if they can get a programmer in to do it :)
  • Rudy.czRudy.cz Join Date: 2012-02-13 Member: 145410Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1907762:date=Feb 28 2012, 07:54 AM:name=Mavix)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mavix @ Feb 28 2012, 07:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907762"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ok, how about rotate/scale/move based on the selection's orientation (instead of by grid).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

When scaling props, you can do that by using "select tool" and writing parameters directly. For brushwork, I usually do it manually with vertex manipulation, to keep everything "on grid", some habits from Hammer are hard to unlearn :)
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    Having stuff on-grid isn't a bad habit, it helps to have a map that is easy to edit instead of a gigantic cluster###### of lines and dots everywhere. Although it is less important now.
  • alibialibi Join Date: 2009-11-20 Member: 69445Members
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1907749:date=Feb 28 2012, 03:28 PM:name=Soul_Rider)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Soul_Rider @ Feb 28 2012, 03:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907749"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You have flip-x, flip-y and flip-z, as well as rotate -x,y & z, how many more ways to do the same job do you need :P :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you use select tool as opposed to move tool you can also flip faces. Handy.