defensive lerk rework

uktabiuktabi Join Date: 2012-02-26 Member: 147450Members
lerks, to me, feel like a life form that was designed to defend bases. they can travel the map incredibly quickly, and are the first response to a base under attack. their gas can effectively force marines to retreat, or, they can seal off an entrance. their ranged spike attacks allow them to hold marines at bay until reinforcements arrive. this is how i feel it is supposed to be, anyways.

the problem is that a group of marines making a push is more likely to simply sprint through the gas and endure the spikes. this forces the lerk to simply support the other life forms by sprinkling gas and spikes like cheese on . its an effective support role, sure, and it works, but it could be so much better. the lerk is destined to be the premier first line of defense, and here's how:

<!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><b>lerk gas reworked:</b><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
<b>problem: </b>its a great damage over time utensil, and a pestilence to marines, but it fails to do what it is intended to do; keep marines out. this is because marines do not fear the gas. it's simply very annoying. "lerk gas? pshhhh, lol, walk right through, it only does like 10 damage per second or w/e" -every marine ever. ok, not really, but, in all seriousness, in its current state, there isnt much incentive for a marine to stay out of the gas.
<b>how NOT to fix it: </b>make it do more damage faster. this is BAD because this damage makes lerks too powerful in offensive combat. sure, it would help keep marines from walking through this doorway because they'd lose half of their health, but it would also mean that a couple of lerks spamming gas in marine start equals GG.
<b>solution:</b> combustible lerk gas.
<b>how it would work:</b> the lerk's primary key will lay down gas just as it does as of this build (198), except that it will slow marines instead of damaging them.
alt fire would then consume the gas in a fiery explosion!
<b>why it works:</b> because it makes marines afraid to enter gas, especially if said marines were in large groups. they would have to cross the gas one by one in order to avoid their whole push blowing up. this adds an element of "strategery" and coordination in a group push. instead of keeping marines out because its OP as balls, it keeps them out because they don't want to tempt it.

<!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><b>spikes rework:</b><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
<b>problem:</b> it is far more likely for a lerk to use spikes as a supportive or offensive ability. also, where do they keep all of their spikes?
<b>how NOT to fix it</b>: make spikes more dangerous. spikes are fine as they are except for the fact that they are more tailored for an offensive or supportive role.
<b>solution:</b> completely change the spike ability into this: the lerk releases compressed gas in one burst, doing no damage, but pushing back all marines in a small radius.
<b>how it works:</b> it should have a large energy cost so it cannot be spammed. the intent is for this ability to be used to push marines back into gas.
<b>why it works:</b> it has synergy with gas. it makes marines more afraid to enter gas. it also adds a skill component, as lerks have to get directly in front of marines in order to push them back into the gas, and marines will be attempting to maneuver so that they are NOT between the lerk and the gas. the addition of this ability will streamline the lerk more towards defense, and steer it away from offense, without completely negating the lerk's offensive capabilities.

Comments

• eisigereisiger Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75159Members
    edited February 2012
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Marines are not afraid to enter the gas<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Other than when they know the commander is planting medkits everywhere, when is this ever the case?
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    edited February 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1907289:date=Feb 26 2012, 05:51 PM:name=eisiger)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (eisiger @ Feb 26 2012, 05:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907289"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Other than when they know the commander is planting medkits everywhere, when is this ever the case?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah I always avoid gas and wait for it to dissipate. Not because it might kill me, but because ~20hp loss will make me vulnerable to the skulk that might be hiding behind the gas.

I do like the idea of exploding gas though. Far more rewarding for a brave lurk who flies through a group of marines. Edit: Potentially very overpowered though.

I think I'd prefer to see spikes given a bleed and cripple condition to a marine above more damage, or anything else I've heard. Tiny bit of steady damage, and force a walk speed for 10 seconds or until a medpack hits him.
  • VolccisVolccis Join Date: 2011-12-11 Member: 137452Members
    edited February 2012
    You have some good points there but even when alien forms may be a bit more expensive than marines weapons (shotgun, gl), I wouldnt want to see ONE alien to completely block even 3 marines, its just unfair (okay, onos can and fade in mid match). The lerk role is being a support indeed and it does it very well but you can get single marines easily also.

The way I play lerk is to support teammates in teamfights and without having any teamfights on I go to harass and slow marines progress and lerk does this very well.

Against 1v1 you can win any marine if you play correctly. Just dont be in close range against shotguns/flamethrowers, this means fly far away and shoot spikes. If you cannot encounter shotgun/flamethrower marine from far away, just dont dare to fight or you will probably die. Against rifle/gl you can spam gas around the marine and make sure to block entrances to prevent him to escape. Because gas blocks marines sight you can fly inside the gas and keep the spamming on. I usually find that marines will escape to nearest corner (where isnt gas atm) but just turn back and gas the corner and when the marine start to run away you can easily kill him with spikes. This tactic works 80% of time against rifle/gl but its risky against shotties/flamethrower.

In teamfights lerks are initiaters. If you see teammates being aware to challenge group of marines you can fly and gas em. Then fly away and make another turn. Keep this going until marines are dead or need to retreat yourself.

Currently I would want to have a bit more accuracy on spikes. Also "shotgun" should need alot less energy to use. I like more the current gas than it being combustible. Lerk just doesnt need kills, skulks and fades are doing that job. Current gas blocks marines sight which gives alot survivability for your teammates and the longer it takes to kill the lerk who is spamming gas all over the room the more desperate a situation goes for marines. In teamfights your own teammates forces marines to stay inside the gas if they want to evade aliens or if they run out of the gas they arent attacking and if they are still in corner they are easy to kill. Most important is to switch between normal/alien vision. This allows you to see marines but also you know where isnt gas. And you can make fast turns by holding space, if you tap space you will be stopped for few seconds.

Also would want to have more survivability against shotguns, its just frustrasting when a shotgun marine is behind corner and one shots you without giving any chance to evade. But that doesnt happen often because it needs alot of skills and super fast aim but still ;p

Anyway, I think lerk is in good balance, not too weak or not too powerful.
  • ÒŗăNģёÒŗăNģё Join Date: 2012-02-09 Member: 144437Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><b>Gas/umbra projectile clouds please.</b><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--> Easily balanced with high energy costs.

removing this was a HUGE blow to the alien team, sure you can lay down gas all over the place with the spore trail but that requires you to fly very well and usually you are the biggest target in the room when swooping in. I never see a lerk last more than 1min when trying to gas marines, its really quite sad...
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1907332:date=Feb 27 2012, 05:28 AM:name=ÒŗăNģё)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ÒŗăNģё @ Feb 27 2012, 05:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907332"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><b>Gas/umbra projectile clouds please.</b><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--> Easily balanced with high energy costs.

removing this was a HUGE blow to the alien team, sure you can lay down gas all over the place with the spore trail but that requires you to fly very well and usually you are the biggest target in the room when swooping in. I never see a lerk last more than 1min when trying to gas marines, its really quite sad...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not true. I do it all the time and I can survive with ease, if there is no shotgun. Plus, it's a guarantied kill for the skulks who following my attack. The only problem is the shotgun. But this is a topic of its own.
  • ÒŗăNģёÒŗăNģё Join Date: 2012-02-09 Member: 144437Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1907438:date=Feb 27 2012, 03:15 AM:name=_Necro_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (_Necro_ @ Feb 27 2012, 03:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907438"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not true. I do it all the time and I can survive with ease, if there is no shotgun. Plus, it's a guarantied kill for the skulks who following my attack. The only problem is the shotgun. But this is a topic of its own.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Its completely true and you contradict yourself "if there is no shotgun" there's always shotguns in good matches and no its not guaranteed that skulks will get a kill, I always watch for them when gas gets laid down, you can still see names through smoke. Only time lerk survives is when marines don't aim properly and the lerk is a superb flier...

Lerk needs to be able to support as backline class with clouds.
  • GadxGadx Join Date: 2003-03-22 Member: 14788Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Projectiles for gas and umbra would be a big help. Even if not, some sort of 2nd hive umbra would be just as good.