Onos need to be able to jump over chambers..

rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
<div class="IPBDescription">x_x</div>Nothing very in-depth or lengthy. But I think Onos need to be able to jump over/on top of alien structures ala NS1.

I hate being an Onos and getting stuck behind your Khamm's structure walls. Row of Crags across a hallway? might as well call them Gaint-Space-Gorrila-Proof walls of doom. :P I don't know if this is already in the works or already been thought about, but I figured it was worth a mention since this happened to me today and reminded me.

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    if hes supposed to gain momentum by moving forward, being stopped by anything from your team is like shooting your design idea in the knee.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=1906827:date=Feb 25 2012, 04:06 AM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Feb 25 2012, 04:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1906827"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->if hes supposed to gain momentum by moving forward, being stopped by anything from your team is like shooting your design idea in the knee.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well that is sort of another issue, I'm talking about when your Khamm lays down several structures accross a hallway like crags. The onos literally gets blocked off, he can't jump over them or get around them in any way so that essentially denies an Onos access to that part of the map via that corridor. If he could jump on top of them like NS1 it wouldn't be a problem. :o

But yes, getting team-blocked as onos was an issue in NS1 as well. No idea how you'd remedy that though...or that it should be remedied at all.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    I hope the Onos' collision model can be tweaked so his legs do not collide with structures (but do for players, if possible), allowing him to run through buildings no problem.

Better yet, something like TF2 friendly players and buildings phase-through + unstack would help greatly.
  • MkilbrideMkilbride Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69952Members
    No.

Onos most certainly should NOT be able to clip through buildings.

What then, would be the point of Marine defensive walls?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    at least do it for friendly structures.. no reason why some whip placement STOPS or SLOWS such an important piece - that has a movement mechanic based on moving unobstructed!
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I like the idea that if an Onos touches a structure it becomes 'walkthroughable' for the Onos and goes into 'ragdoll' mode.

So the structures stay put, but because they ragdoll it might look like they are being pushed out the way as they go floppy.

This is full of innuendo, but after a few seconds they become hard again.
  • BroseidonBroseidon Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110935Members
    I agree. Make the onos be able to walk through <b>Alien</b> structures. Except for Hives and Harvesters because it would look a bit too weird :S
  • sam8ucasam8uca Join Date: 2011-02-11 Member: 81359Members
    Jumping, yes. Rag doll'ing, yes. No clip, no.

The kham and gorge should have to think about placement of structures.

A wall of structures that limit Marine movement should effect the aliens as well. Quick and easy access would be a strength for the Onos, but also a weakness, as it gives Marines easy access too. Whilst, a wall of structures would limit the ease of access to both sides.

A simple case of balance, you have to choose from the pros and cons of structure placement. Although I understand that new players in pub games will cause frustration with placement as they learn.
  • RokiyoRokiyo A.K.A. .::FeX::. Revenge Join Date: 2002-10-10 Member: 1471Members, Constellation
    Having the kham and gorge thinking about placement of structures because it might block an Onos is as backwards as skulks having to think about escape routes so they don't block an Onos. It's the correct destination, but the wrong way to get there.

Speaking in terms of maintaining suspension of disbelief: The Onos <i>looks</i> like it should have right of way, and so it <i>should</i>.

Either the Onos pass through small friendly units & structures, or it accidentally crushes them in a moment of idle thought. The skulk should be getting out of the way because it wants to live, not because it might get the Onos killed.
  • sam8ucasam8uca Join Date: 2011-02-11 Member: 81359Members
    I like that, Onos causing damage instead of speed loss, although would be adding FF.

Onos eats skulk for health? :D
  • John BlackthorneJohn Blackthorne Join Date: 2012-02-23 Member: 147245Members
    edited February 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1906843:date=Feb 25 2012, 07:42 AM:name=Rokiyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rokiyo @ Feb 25 2012, 07:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1906843"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Having the kham and gorge thinking about placement of structures because it might block an Onos is as backwards as skulks having to think about escape routes so they don't block an Onos. It's the correct destination, but the wrong way to get there.

Speaking in terms of maintaining suspension of disbelief: The Onos <i>looks</i> like it should have right of way, and so it <i>should</i>.

Either the Onos pass through small friendly units & structures, or it accidentally crushes them in a moment of idle thought. The skulk should be getting out of the way because it wants to live, not because it might get the Onos killed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=1906845:date=Feb 25 2012, 07:56 AM:name=sam8uca)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sam8uca @ Feb 25 2012, 07:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1906845"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I like that, Onos causing damage instead of speed loss, although would be adding FF.

Onos eats skulk for health? :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If the development team could make this a reality it would go along way to making the Onos a finally feel like the unique 10 Tonne monster it should be instead of just a roadblock tripping on objects in the environment.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    He really should have no trouble just stepping over them considering how small most alien structures are. Maybe make him loose any momentum he has when passing over structures?
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    We are planning on having the Onos be able to clip through most if not all of the alien structures. Ideally we'll be able to eventually ragdoll them or animate them to move, as he pushes through, but we'll probably implement this just to have him clip through to start with. The challenge is what happens when he clips through, say, a crag, and stops on top of it, blocking it from marines.

--Cory
    <!--quoteo(post=1906911:date=Feb 25 2012, 12:47 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Feb 25 2012, 12:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1906911"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We are planning on having the Onos be able to clip through most if not all of the alien structures. Ideally we'll be able to eventually ragdoll them or animate them to move, as he pushes through, but we'll probably implement this just to have him clip through to start with. The challenge is what happens when he clips through, say, a crag, and stops on top of it, blocking it from marines.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They fill him with copious amounts of lead? If onos wishes to risk his life for beloved crag why not let him?
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1906923:date=Feb 25 2012, 12:14 PM:name=1dominator1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1dominator1 @ Feb 25 2012, 12:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1906923"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They fill him with copious amounts of lead? If onos wishes to risk his life for beloved crag why not let him?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Because then he and the Crag will be occupying the same point(s) in space. If the Crag stays ragdolled/bent out of the way, there will be a discrepancy between where it is and where it seems to be, making it impossible to hit. If the Crag moves back, it will clip with the Onos.
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    some of the ceilings in the game didnt account for how big an onos is. the curved walkway in mine for example, terrible. you can barely get up it to attack drill. and then its so cramped youre crawling away if you have to run. who knows what no clipping the onos will cause in the long run though. doesnt seem fair and is a cheap fix. you hit the nail on the head, it can be exploitable.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1906911:date=Feb 25 2012, 11:47 AM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Feb 25 2012, 11:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1906911"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We are planning on having the Onos be able to clip through most if not all of the alien structures. Ideally we'll be able to eventually ragdoll them or animate them to move, as he pushes through, but we'll probably implement this just to have him clip through to start with. The challenge is what happens when he clips through, say, a crag, and stops on top of it, blocking it from marines.

I like this. Not sure how to deal with the marine problem. I would think the marines should be pushed back, but would be unfair to have marines attempting to take cover behind an visibly solid structure, only for an onos to walk through it.

Perhaps make noclip only enabled when no marines nearby?
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Can't the Onos just unstack himself from the Crag if he stops moving when clipping through it? Buildings shouldn't be moved unless it's an unrooted Whip (which already unstacks when it ceases movement)
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1906911:date=Feb 25 2012, 12:47 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Feb 25 2012, 12:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1906911"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We are planning on having the Onos be able to clip through most if not all of the alien structures. Ideally we'll be able to eventually ragdoll them or animate them to move, as he pushes through, but we'll probably implement this just to have him clip through to start with. The challenge is what happens when he clips through, say, a crag, and stops on top of it, blocking it from marines.

I don't see the problem, he could just as easily stand in front of it.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1907017:date=Feb 25 2012, 06:52 PM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Feb 25 2012, 06:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907017"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't see the problem, he could just as easily stand in front of it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--quoteo(post=1906926:date=Feb 25 2012, 12:23 PM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Feb 25 2012, 12:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1906926"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Because then he and the Crag will be occupying the same point(s) in space. If the Crag stays ragdolled/bent out of the way, there will be a discrepancy between where it is and where it seems to be, making it impossible to hit. If the Crag moves back, it will clip with the Onos.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • Ph0enixPh0enix Join Date: 2002-10-08 Member: 1462Members, Constellation
    I don't think its a major issue.

How often is an Onos gonna spend more then a second or two on a building at the same time that a marine would desperately like to shoot said building instead of the Onos ?
    I think the crag could fit in between Onos' legs, his pretty big. Also aesthetics should take second place to game play imo.
  • RokiyoRokiyo A.K.A. .::FeX::. Revenge Join Date: 2002-10-10 Member: 1471Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1906911:date=Feb 26 2012, 03:47 AM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Feb 26 2012, 03:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1906911"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We are planning on having the Onos be able to clip through most if not all of the alien structures. Ideally we'll be able to eventually ragdoll them or animate them to move, as he pushes through, but we'll probably implement this just to have him clip through to start with. The challenge is what happens when he clips through, say, a crag, and stops on top of it, blocking it from marines.

Excellent news! :)

I don't see a situation developing where a marine with a bullet-based weapon would willingly target a crag before an onos, nor do I see that as much of an issue with grenades and flames which do area damage. That being said, you could apply an exponentially increasing push effect the longer the onos remains clipped into a structure. Alternatively you could have the structure bend and/or compress towards the space under the onos belly, and if the marine <i>really</i> wanted then they could shoot in between the legs of the onos.

On a similar note, would it be possible to produce a shower of sparks any time a moving onos model clips into props or world geometry? I imagine it would not only look pretty bad-ass, but also visually explain the clipping in a believable manner.