Hydra needs either buff or cost reduction

2»

Comments

• OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Kouji, whilst I defer to you near infinite wisdom in most/all except this case(s), I must say many many rooms don't have ceilings high enough to avoid unintended grenade damage.

I still say longer range and see how that plays out. Pretty minimal buff tbh.

An example: Ore hive on Mineshaft. I need to place 4 - 5 roof hydras to effective deal to just a single JP marine, better if 2 - 3 hydras could cover the whole area effectivley.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    hitscan tho. they still miss a whole lot.
  • SkugganSkuggan Join Date: 2010-03-19 Member: 71017Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1905972:date=Feb 22 2012, 09:47 PM:name=Egad!)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Egad! @ Feb 22 2012, 09:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1905972"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hydras and Sentires aren't meant to get kills. They are to support other aliens, or help delay a large assualt on a hive or rt until reinforcements can arrive. Many of you guys are essentially trying to add another player to the game, when static defenses are merely meant for support/delay.

Personally, I like the idea of a hydra being more like the TF2 sentry, where you can only build a limited number of them, but can later move them around. I think gorges should only be able to build maybe 3 hydras at a time, but can eat them to regain res and move them somewhere else.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1 to this.
    I dont want the static defence to be like another player. It should only be there to delay and damage the marines so the other alien lifeforms can clean up and save the resnode/hive.
  • WackOhWackOh Join Date: 2004-07-25 Member: 30100Members
    ye i also agree with the above.

more often than not, hydras will delay a marine advance, which is the whole point of the hydra is it not? not to kill a marine advance altogether, merely ASSIST with defence and even buy time for a more organised defence
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited February 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1905906:date=Feb 22 2012, 05:46 PM:name=Grissi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Grissi @ Feb 22 2012, 05:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1905906"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hydras are fine, they are not that easy to kill when the alien team is around supporting.
    Their main role is to support lifeforms in battle and slow marines pushes down, well placed hydras do that very well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Have you ever playerd marines?
    Hydras are that easy to kill like a cyst.
    Buy a grenade launcher, or rush with 3 marines in (medpack spam like always) and the hydras are gone.
    Hydras need to improve.
    I mean compare a sentry, a skulk, dies in front of just one very easy.
    Marines can shoot grenades around corners or just walk through hydras, i did a lot, they only attack one marine at a time and if the com give health...its a joke.
    Take a look at the offensive chambers of NS1, they did a lot of damage and was very usefull.

<!--quoteo(post=1906204:date=Feb 23 2012, 11:12 AM:name=WackOh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WackOh @ Feb 23 2012, 11:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1906204"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->ye i also agree with the above.

more often than not, hydras will delay a marine advance, which is the whole point of the hydra is it not? not to kill a marine advance altogether, merely ASSIST with defence and even buy time for a more organised defence<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But its pointless, nobody want to just "delay" a marines advance and waste their whole res...
    I "delay" marines advance by attacking their base, start a diversion but never waste my res in expensive useless hydras.
    Why should marine secure a whole base with some sentrys and make it impossble for skulks, lerks and gorges and aliens have no defence?

LOL@ the 3 hydra limit...only if the marines got a two limit of sentrys each room...
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I don't think how often they hit is a real problem. I actually think it's a good feature. You don't want hydras to be powerful just by themselves, you want them to be support/delay structures. If you're not there to look after them, they die fairly easily. If you are, however, you can take advantage of the reload times, added damage and forced positions. Even if you aren't there, the fact that they take time to be killed means that you can respond to the situation before it might be too late.

It's good that you can run past hydras if they're unattended because otherwise the game would be even more static (which I hate).
  • NakorsonNakorson Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140253Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1906220:date=Feb 23 2012, 05:15 AM:name=Tweadle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tweadle @ Feb 23 2012, 05:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1906220"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't think how often they hit is a real problem. I actually think it's a good feature. You don't want hydras to be powerful just by themselves, you want them to be support/delay structures. If you're not there to look after them, they die fairly easily. If you are, however, you can take advantage of the reload times, added damage and forced positions. Even if you aren't there, the fact that they take time to be killed means that you can respond to the situation before it might be too late.

It's good that you can run past hydras if they're unattended because otherwise the game would be even more static (which I hate).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Doesn't change the fact that sentrys are doing really good when their left alone. Even fades have to blink out and heal up. Since whips are melee based only (bombard sucks because of the manual aiming and armor only dmg) you have to compare the hydras with the sentrys.
  • WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited February 2012
    When Marines build sentries Aliens either Siege the area or smartly deal with the problem by taking out power or sneaking around them. Aliens can't just run past them without taking massive damage.

When Aliens build Hydras, Marines just run past them or shoot them from a distance.
    This is why you see so little ARC play in my opinion. Marines almost never have to siege an area unless it's a built up hive.

Hydras should do what a real hydra does, if you chop off its head it grows back.
    Hydras could do with a DPS buff so marines don't just ignore them.
    Also they should grow back after 15-20 seconds unless ARC'ed into oblivion.
    Also require infestation to grow back.
    edited February 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1906220:date=Feb 23 2012, 12:15 PM:name=Tweadle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tweadle @ Feb 23 2012, 12:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1906220"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't think how often they hit is a real problem. I actually think it's a good feature. You don't want hydras to be powerful just by themselves, you want them to be support/delay structures.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    WRONG!
    Wiki quote:
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The Hydra's purpose is to deter Marines from lingering in Kharaa territory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not to delay, not to support, hydras are made to "deter" marines from lingering kharaa territory.
    but right now, hydras are a joke and i never saw marines fearing them.
    They always sneak behind the corner (me too) and shoot them, because they fire to slow or they get killed by grenades.
    Or simply marines shoot the cysts, which can't be places well to protect marines from seeing them.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    edited February 2012
    @WorthyRival: I like the idea of regrowth for Hydras, a good Gorge would keep the Mini-Cyst cleverly hidden and put a few Hydras in hard to hit spots.

In that scenario, Marines will have the option of moving into Hydra range to kill the Mini-Cyst supporting them, as to permanently eliminate the trap, or disable the Hydras long enough to remove the Cyst.

@Price: I actually wrote that sentence a while ago, it was what I interpreted of Hydra's role at the time. Basically, a longer way to say "area denial" :P
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2012
    Hydras can be nasty with gorge support. But alone, they are useless. Besides the 10Res are way to much when they are only useful if I stick to them as gorge. Buying a Lerk for 3 Hydras has way more stopping power to marines. So why should I waste my res for something immobile and weak?

The projectiles are way to slow. Its to easy to evade them with just a little bit strafing. If the projectiles would be a little bit faster, maybe the hydra would become more useful.

And If you could eat your own hydras to get a part of the res back, would not only help the server load (= less buildings to calculate) but also give the gorge the chance to move the defense to the actual front line and additionally to that, he could spare some res to gestate to something other than gorge later.

I hate it how I'm right now bound to the gorge if I chose to play it, because I need all my res for faster expanding cysts and building defenses. So to a later time I cant change my race, because I never could save enough res.
  • CodeineCodeine Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75155Members
    increase their range and reduce their cost. being able to have more is the buff.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1906249:date=Feb 23 2012, 01:39 PM:name=Codeine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Codeine @ Feb 23 2012, 01:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1906249"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->increase their range and reduce their cost. being able to have more is the buff.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

no, its the cause of having bad server tick rates. Less buildings is better.
  • OhnojojoOhnojojo Join Date: 2011-08-01 Member: 113400Members
    hydra stats:
    600hp
    75 armor
    20 dmg, medium range normal dmg type
    build time 12 seconds.
    10 pres cost

I say give the hydra a slight buff and health/armor change to:
    500hp
    100 armor
    25 damage
    build time 12 seconds
    8 pres cost

And increase rate of fire by 20%

Would make the hydras a little more robust, allows gorges to have at least a little more res and build more hydras. My only concern with reducing cost though is increased hydra spam. At least I think this would be a good deterent, without being overpowered. A single marine could still take out a hydra or a few of them but needs only to be more cautious, which buys more time for aliens to counter attack and save the hydra.
  • autograderautograder Join Date: 2011-06-24 Member: 106181Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1906290:date=Feb 23 2012, 10:29 AM:name=Ohnojojo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ohnojojo @ Feb 23 2012, 10:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1906290"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->hydra stats:
    600hp
    75 armor
    build time 12 seconds.
    10 pres cost

500hp
    100 armor
    25 damage
    build time 12 seconds
    8 pres cost

Would make the hydras a little more robust, allows gorges to have at least a little more res and build more hydras. My only concern with reducing cost though is increased hydra spam. At least I think this would be a good deterent, without being overpowered. A single marine could still take out a hydra or a few of them but needs only to be more cautious, which buys more time for aliens to counter attack and save the hydra.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Decent suggestion, +1
  • DeityDeity Join Date: 2012-01-31 Member: 142843Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I prefer the suggestions to make the hydra much more powerful but also much more expensive so that the number of buildings affecting server load are reduced.

I think the hydra is fine from a gameplay/balance standpoint however.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    From other discussion, it appears "goo" will be able to make hydras much more effective. Marines will be slowed when going through the goo, making them more vulnerable to (hydra) attack.

I agree they are still too weak, and need some sort of buff. Perhaps they would automatically get team offensive/defensive upgrades.
  • MasterPTGMasterPTG Join Date: 2006-11-30 Member: 58780Members
    If anything, hydras need a slight nerf, imo. Definitely, please, do not buff hydras, please.
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1906290:date=Feb 24 2012, 02:29 AM:name=Ohnojojo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ohnojojo @ Feb 24 2012, 02:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1906290"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->hydra stats:
    600hp
    75 armor
    build time 12 seconds.
    10 pres cost

500hp
    100 armor
    25 damage
    build time 12 seconds
    8 pres cost

Would make the hydras a little more robust, allows gorges to have at least a little more res and build more hydras. My only concern with reducing cost though is increased hydra spam. At least I think this would be a good deterent, without being overpowered. A single marine could still take out a hydra or a few of them but needs only to be more cautious, which buys more time for aliens to counter attack and save the hydra.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

We do not want MORE hydras being used then there are now, server performance goes down the drain late game with hydra spam across the map.
    edited February 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1906269:date=Feb 23 2012, 02:42 PM:name=_Necro_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (_Necro_ @ Feb 23 2012, 02:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1906269"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->no, its the cause of having bad server tick rates. Less buildings is better.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Nope, ns1 had a lot of offensive chambers and it works well.
    i can not belive that the spark engine is that terrible it can not handle many hydras.
    i mean sentrys are like the same...
    Hydras just should did more damage and maybe give the aliens the ability to morph them to mature hydras with 6 heads :P
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1906328:date=Feb 23 2012, 07:54 PM:name=Arkanti)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Arkanti @ Feb 23 2012, 07:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1906328"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We do not want MORE hydras being used then there are now, server performance goes down the drain late game with hydra spam across the map.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

all this means, the engine can't handle them.
    lets not start nerfing everything just because the engine has poor performance.

the way hydras are now is the result of people complaining, either about fps issues or because "omg their are so many of them".

why don't you people realize what the hell can a gorge actually do in this game?
    all it can do is drop cysts and hydras, so guess what you be doing as gorge throughout the game?
    gorge turned into field medic, which are easy to kill.
    which explains why gorges have to go on suicide runs with their bile bomb, because that's all they can do!

just compare the gorge from ns1, now that's what a well defined class is.
    He was builder, he was support class and he even could be battle gorge (gorge rush).
    he was well rounded class, but most importantly it was actually FUN being a gorge.

do not limit or nerf something just because the engine can't handle something.
  • flyjumflyjum Join Date: 2012-01-07 Member: 139849Members
    The hydra is not doing what its intended purpose is.
    That is map control

This idea of map control is a very vital one in a strategy game like natural selection.
    If you can lock a corridor or pathway down and prevent the enemy from roaming in that area you can focus attacks elsewhere.

If a player decides to spend 20-30 res on an immobile structure it should at least cover 1-2 marines from pushing that area.
    At least if they just have LMGs that is

Currently players can just run right pass the hydras without any worry at all or they can just kill hydras just as easy.

I like the idea to have hydras get more powerful as more hives are added
    Maybe have the hydra grow 2 or 3 more arms per hive that is placed.
    Or maybe allow the gorge to upgrade the hydra for 5 res to add 3 arms for each hive.

The projectiles need to move faster and have more range.
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1906335:date=Feb 24 2012, 06:06 AM:name=luns)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (luns @ Feb 24 2012, 06:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1906335"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->all this means, the engine can't handle them.

the way hydras are now is the result of people complaining, either about fps issues or because "omg their are so many of them".

why don't you people realize what the hell can a gorge actually do in this game?
    all it can do is drop cysts and hydras, so guess what you be doing as gorge throughout the game?
    which explains why gorges have to go on suicide runs with their bile bomb, because that's all they can do!

He was builder, he was support class and he even could be battle gorge (gorge rush).
    he was well rounded class, but most importantly it was actually FUN being a gorge.

do not limit or nerf something just because the engine can't handle something.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Gorge's are actually very good on the front lines as a support healer, and they are _not_ easy to kill when properly supported.
    You say the engine has poor optimisation(which it does, yes. For some much more than others. It's a beta for a game on an entirely new engine) BUT I say the hydras are designed in a way currently that can only lead to poor performance no matter the strengths of the engine.
  • PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    I think both are perfect as they are. Maybe if you guys put them on the walls and ceilings you would see just how much useful they actually are.
  • StarkwindStarkwind Join Date: 2011-07-26 Member: 112394Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1906335:date=Feb 23 2012, 01:06 PM:name=luns)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (luns @ Feb 23 2012, 01:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1906335"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->all this means, the engine can't handle them.

do not limit or nerf something just because the engine can't handle something.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1

NS1 Had heaps of offensive chambers and worked really well. I dont want NS2 to feel like a downgrade of NS1 this game should improve on stuff NS1 had not take stuff away. (*cough* speed up jetpacks *cough*)
  • RokiyoRokiyo A.K.A. .::FeX::. Revenge Join Date: 2002-10-10 Member: 1471Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1906231:date=Feb 23 2012, 09:46 PM:name=WorthyRival)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WorthyRival @ Feb 23 2012, 09:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1906231"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->-snip-
    Hydras should do what a real hydra does, if you chop off its head it grows back.
    -snip-
    Also they should grow back after 15-20 seconds unless ARC'ed into oblivion.
    Also require infestation to grow back.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Ooh, I do like that idea. Need more ways than just ARC for permanent removal though.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation