Grenade launcher so useless

CodeineCodeine Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75155Members
edited February 2012 in Ideas and Suggestions
The grenade launcher is next to useless except on buildings and shooting at your feet.

It moves so slow and is arc is too high.try hit a fade with this thing it will still be in the air while hes killed 3 of ur buds, even aiming ahead to try and hit your target its hard. Its so bad.

Imo it should be like bf3/bc2 grenade launchers, straight to the point if its too close it wont detonate, but will do high dmg.

What does everyone else think of it?

Comments

• MkilbrideMkilbride Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69952Members
    While I understand the way it is for balance reasons...

It is by no means final, they've already said that currently it is not how they want it. The game is still, not close to being done...a summer release seems iffy. I hope they don't push it out the door 80% done, then finish the 20% later on...I hate when devs do that...

Thing is, unlike the games you mentioned, NS2 is small, close quarters. I think the fact we even HAVE a Grenade Launcher is abit odd.

But yes, so far, I've not found a usefulness for it, other than "Ohh, that's cool."
  • CodeineCodeine Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75155Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1904505:date=Feb 18 2012, 09:34 AM:name=Mkilbride)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mkilbride @ Feb 18 2012, 09:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1904505"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It is by no means final, they've already said that currently it is not how they want i<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That alleviates some of my concerns with the GL. i hope its gets changed soon xD
  • CorpseyCorpsey Join Date: 2011-07-02 Member: 107538Members
    I think you're using it improperly.. the LMG part is for fades, grenades to be effective on fades need to be timed by sheer chance and luck.. that's not to say it's impossible, just improbable, that you will be doing effective damage with it against fades. A much better candidate for fade kills is the shotgun.. seeing as how fades are going to be in your face to kill you with <i>claws</i>. right?

The way I use GL is if the commander is a little starved of res for an ARC and you absolutely should be pushing towards a place that's being defended by a gorge and hydras. Make sure no one else has a grenade launcher first because having 2 of them is pretty useless (if someone does have one, get a shotgun and cover him). Other than that scenario the only time I'd buy it is if the game is down to the aliens having 1 hive left and you're clear to just walk in with 1, then they're devastating. Also, make sure in the first scenario you are radio'ing in for ammo.. The GL in NS2 has nowhere near as many rounds as NS1 so you run out of grenades fairly quickly.. especially if there's a whip in place.

So I wouldn't say"useless".. they're even quite damaging against onos if it's your only option for a weapon. One round I killed 3 or 4 onos with the LMG the GL is attached to.. At the cost of watching my teammates die, but they really probably don't care too much because they can spawn and reclaim their weapons they used to help kill it.
  • KrizzenKrizzen Join Date: 2011-12-16 Member: 138181Members
    I wouldn't say it's useless, but I would say it's incomprehensibly ugly to use. There's seemingly a one second delay before the grenade launches, then when it does, it's a slideshow crapfest along a usually-in-the-back-of-your-teammates-and-back-in-your-face trajectory.

Uses:
    Spam corridors from armory
    Blast into hive
    Decimate gorge party zones
    Pelt into Oni
    Cleverly luck-shot fades
    Roulette a Lerk (mid-air hits are jaw dropping and happen as often as getting struck by lightning)
    What I call the "Plop and drop" technique to pop an angry skulk (i.e. shoot grenade near your feet and trick the fellow into it's blast radius)
  • Raven_XIRaven_XI Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12032Members, Constellation
    If you think the NS2 grenade launcher is uselss, Im guessing you never played NS. The fact that it is now an attatchment makes things a whole lot easier as you dont lose your primary weapon.

I thought the whole point of it was to take out strongholds of alien buildings anyway, not to rambo in and kill anything that moved.
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    edited February 2012
    The grenade launcher is a beast.

Are you on drugs?
  • KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    The grenade launcher is excellent at:
    - clearing skulks from around the base of extractors, power nodes and other structures (consider where skulks attack the far side of a structure, all other weapons force marines to close to melee range = danger)
    - clearing vents and high platforms (skulks, lerks and gorges)
    - choke point suppression
    - destroying buildings

The time between mouse click and explosion makes it ineffective against fades. I'm ok with that since fades are already checked by shotguns. Even a couple of LMGs can force a fade to retreat pretty quickly.

I'm quite happy with the current implementation of grenades.
  • BearTaxiBearTaxi Join Date: 2011-11-15 Member: 133064Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1905024:date=Feb 20 2012, 01:37 PM:name=Krizzen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Krizzen @ Feb 20 2012, 01:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1905024"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There's seemingly a one second delay before the grenade launches, then when it does, it's a slideshow crapfest along a usually-in-the-back-of-your-teammates-and-back-in-your-face trajectory.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not to mention the hitbox for the grenade itself seems incredibly large for such a small projectile.

I was actually considering making a thread about this. In it's current state the GL is so broken.

However, in regards to OP. You're doing it wrong.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    With regards to the usefulness of the GL I present this: <a href="http://youtu.be/ZjPywj1TODo?t=1m26s" target="_blank">http://youtu.be/ZjPywj1TODo?t=1m26s</a>

However, I will admit the sluggishness at which the grenade actually fires from when you click mouse2 could be improved.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited February 2012
    I think you should try using it against onoses, as the only high single-impact damage weapon the marines have, it should bypass a massive amount of the onoses hide armor (otherwise -4 for every shot you fire).

So shotguns would deal something like 28 less damage per shot, (not including damage type ineffectiveness) and rifles would do 200 less damage per magazine, the GL just does 4 damage less per shot.

The GL is probably the best weapon against the onos.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1905269:date=Feb 21 2012, 12:32 AM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Feb 21 2012, 12:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1905269"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think you should try using it against onoses, as the only high single-impact damage weapon the marines have, it should bypass a massive amount of the onoses hide armor (otherwise -4 for every shot you fire).

So shotguns would deal something like 28 less damage per shot, (not including damage type ineffectiveness) and rifles would do 200 less damage per magazine, the GL just does 4 damage less per shot.

The GL is probably the best weapon against the onos.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

QFT.
  • KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    It sounds like a number of people in this thread want the grenade launcher to be effective in every situation. If it has no weaknesses, it would be used by every marine all the time. NS2 GL is already more combat effective than NS1's GL.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2012
    Yeah. The GL is to kill gorges and there gardens or to counter skulks with spamming. Its NOT the Noob-Tube from BF.
    Just don't talk of "useless" when you mean "can't handle it right" or "don't know when to use it".

But I admit, that the flying "animation" and the slow speed looks very weired.
  • Ph0enixPh0enix Join Date: 2002-10-08 Member: 1462Members, Constellation
    Aside from the obivious building killing function, GLs operate perfectly well as a support weapon as shotties/FTs/LMG marines push into an area - just hang back and as skulks/fades pile into them chuck grenades into the melee mix, works wonders. OFC your by yourself at the back at this point so also kinda vulnerable.

If your actually hoping to use a GL when your actually in the very middle of a fight or directly hit an alien (aside from an onos) then your doing it wrong :P
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    edited February 2012
    Tip of the day: Don't walk in front of a marine firing his gl.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    I would prefer:
    - Faster projectile
    - Explode on contact with anything
    - Smaller explosion radius

Atm they kind of slowly bounce around, before unreliably exploding fairly close to you.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1905998:date=Feb 22 2012, 09:33 PM:name=TimMc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TimMc @ Feb 22 2012, 09:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1905998"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would prefer:
    - Faster projectile

Atm they kind of slowly bounce around, before unreliably exploding fairly close to you.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So, very very easy to hit with?

And still doing something on the order of 100-150hp of damage per hit?

Why would you use any other gun?
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    ^- Those changes would turn it into a shotgun w/ less ammo, big no-no.
    edited February 2012
    Explode on contact?

Wouldn't that hinder the whip's "bounce-back"?
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1906111:date=Feb 22 2012, 09:48 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Feb 22 2012, 09:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1906111"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So, very very easy to hit with?

And still doing something on the order of 100-150hp of damage per hit?

Why would you use any other gun?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Probably not :S Especially not the flamethrower. However grenade launcher still feels far too slow compared to NS1.
  • Gorge NorrisGorge Norris Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147424Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1905998:date=Feb 22 2012, 10:33 PM:name=TimMc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TimMc @ Feb 22 2012, 10:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1905998"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would prefer:
    - Faster projectile

Atm they kind of slowly bounce around, before unreliably exploding fairly close to you.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hehe, if this was implemented, vent gorging would be even more devastating..
    The grenade would never reach the biling gorge before exploding, say goodbye to your base :)
  • MOSSMOSS Join Date: 2012-02-28 Member: 147669Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1905036:date=Feb 19 2012, 10:18 PM:name=Raven_XI)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Raven_XI @ Feb 19 2012, 10:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1905036"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you think the NS2 grenade launcher is uselss, Im guessing you never played NS. The fact that it is now an attatchment makes things a whole lot easier as you dont lose your primary weapon.

I thought the whole point of it was to take out strongholds of alien buildings anyway, not to rambo in and kill anything that moved.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree with Raven on this one. The grenade launcher is not useless, as I find them great weapons for harassing alien hives from a safe distance without exposing yourself to ranged opponents. It seems like others have mentioned that the weapon projectile should be faster with a smaller hit radius, but we should remember that it's a <i>grenade</i> launcher, not a rocket launcher. OP complained about grenade launchers being bad for killing fades; I agree that grenade launchers are bad for this purpose, but that's why other weapons and tactics exist. I agree with Khyron that many people seem to want the grenade launcher to be useful in all situations, but if that were to happen we wouldn't need other guns. If you're having trouble killing things with a grenade launcher, maybe you should try using a shotgun instead.