Infestation does not cross axes

1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
What the title says. Infestation at the moment does not spread from floor to wall or vice versa (at least not that I have seen). If you put a cyst on the floor near the wall the infestation will not go up the wall but will only spread along the floor, the same goes for a cyst on the wall. Is this intentional? If so, why?

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2012
    <strike>.. i think you mean "axis"</strike>
    and yea.. its a placeholder, infestation. and they dont want to improve upon it because they will be redoing it..... soon?
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    I hope that in the final implementation, infestation will spread from ground to walls to ceiling, so multiple redundant Cysts/Mini-Cysts are not required for the full infested room effect (way to reduce spam?)
  • SampsonSampson Join Date: 2012-01-06 Member: 139769Members
    so does this mean the cyst-infestation deal is set in stone? i was hoping the cyst concept was a place-holder...
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    ^- No clue about that, but Cyst having its own final concept art does say something about this mechanic...
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2012
    I think it was pretty clear that cysts will stay, its a lot easier to tell the infestation where to spread(and also fast) and it doesnt take ages to kill infestation for marines. I think we saw pretty fast that flamethrowers as the only counter wasnt a viable idea... and it would be kinda stupid to shoot with bullets at infestation if it didnt have a cyst,instead was some kind of endless carpet.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1905727:date=Feb 21 2012, 11:53 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Feb 21 2012, 11:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1905727"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->.. i think you mean "axis"
    and yea.. its a placeholder, infestation. and they dont want to improve upon it because they will be redoing it..... soon?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Plural of axis is axes I believe.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2012
    you are correct, sir.
    i didnt even bother checking, before :)
    but yea here's something from cory, the artist dev, after i mentioned the visual quality of infestation:

<!--quoteo(post=1899979:date=Feb 5 2012, 01:30 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Feb 5 2012, 01:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899979"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thanks for the feedback. Regarding this specific point, it is not the resolution of the infestation texture that is the problem. It is actually quite large, currently a 2048x2048 texture. The problem is that the decal that uses the texture is being scaled up to such a large size for initial hive infestation that the texture is going to look low res no matter it's resolution. This will be fixed with the final implementation of infestation, which will tile the texture, rather then stretching it up so large, and we'll also be able to add normal maps to the texture (something we can't do just yet for decals), which will give it added detail and depth. But, it doesn't make much sense to spend a lot of time to make the placeholder infestation look better, when that time could just go into working on the final implementation, instead.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • SilverwingSilverwing bulletsponge Join Date: 2003-11-23 Member: 23395Members, Constellation
    I still kinda hope they will let the infestation grow on it's own. Strengthen/guide with cysts? Yes please. Grow on it's own? DEFFO!
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    I would like it if instead of having to place every cyst manually you could instead set targets for infestation to grow towards and it will automatically start spreading that way, using the pathing system. It could automatically drop cysts along the way where necessary. That would mess with the hive energy tho so there needs to be some kind of fix for that too, like never use more than 50% of the hive energy for automatic growth or something like that.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    In making this thread I was less concerned with appearance (which is fine atm, it IS a beta) rather then game play. Having to waste res on placing extra cysts is annoying as a gorge. Although if this will be difficult to fix then all is well and I guess we will have to wait for a bigger inf update.
  • BonesXBonesX Join Date: 2007-02-04 Member: 59883Members, Constellation
    Flayra Posted in the discussion of the Khamms role a few days ago that the current Cyst system is going to have a major re-work soon because as he put it "The current system is not fun yet". There are known issues with infestation and they will be addressed at that time so no worries.