Bile bomb just does too much damage

antacidantacid Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61821Members, NS2 Playtester
I had 2 gorges walk in our base vents (where they could not be shot at) and honestly destroy our CC, 2 Infantry portals, armory, phase gate, and arms lab within 10 seconds.

Test it for yourself, the damage on bile bomb is flat out broken at the moment for the amount of range it has.

Comments

• ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    The problem there is base vents. That shouldn't be possible, all vents in base locations should close if a CC is built there.
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1900072:date=Feb 6 2012, 04:52 AM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Feb 6 2012, 04:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1900072"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The problem there is base vents. That shouldn't be possible, all vents in base locations should close if a CC is built there.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Making the vents close when a CC is built there will probably fix the problem without having the nerf the damage. If it can <b>only</b> destroy a building when it can be seen then make it high priority.

This seems like a good solution.

<!--coloro:#00FF00--><span style="color:#00FF00"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->+1<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • azimaithazimaith Join Date: 2011-07-03 Member: 107686Members
    Marines seem to be defined by environmental control while aliens are defined by, for lack of a better term, environmental subversion. Marine builds CC, vent closes. Kharaa build cyst chain into the vent to fill with infestation, vent opens. Personally I think that theme/relationship should be pretty much universal through the game. It's not like you couldn't chuck grenades into it to clear it out then.
  • NakorsonNakorson Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140253Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1900070:date=Feb 5 2012, 11:42 PM:name=antacid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (antacid @ Feb 5 2012, 11:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1900070"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I had 2 gorges walk in our base vents (where they could not be shot at) and honestly destroy our CC, 2 Infantry portals, armory, phase gate, and arms lab within 10 seconds.

Test it for yourself, the damage on bile bomb is flat out broken at the moment for the amount of range it has.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

In which base on what level?
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1900147:date=Feb 6 2012, 10:45 PM:name=Nakorson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nakorson @ Feb 6 2012, 10:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1900147"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In which base on what level?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I can think of a few..
    Atrium and sub in summit
    drill repair in mineshaft
  • NakorsonNakorson Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140253Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited February 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1900228:date=Feb 6 2012, 09:59 AM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Feb 6 2012, 09:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1900228"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I can think of a few..
    Atrium and sub in summit
    drill repair in mineshaft<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well there are vents in these locations but its not like the gorges in the locations cant be killed. In drill repair easily without GL. In Atrium its tougher without the GL, but the marines can have the GL ready in time so it should not be a real problem.
  • hf_hf_ Join Date: 2011-06-10 Member: 103639Members
    edited February 2012
    I agree that bile bomb is overpowered, but it's important to understand the core issue: aliens are not very good at destroying marine structures, and marines build a lot of structures in their bases. So, as a result, bile bomb damage is now crazy high. There needs to be better alien abilities that foster teamwork so that aliens can more effectively take out marine structures (instead of a reliance on bile bomb).

For example, maybe an alt fire option of bile bomb is to produce spit that temporarily disables marine structures / corrodes marines' armor, or the lerk gas disrupts the view of sentry turrets so that they are unable to target enemies until it dissipates. Making small changes like these should help the problem of aliens not being good at destroying structures so that the damage and splash radius of bile bomb can be reduced, and aliens naturally will work together to overcome the marines.

I'd also like to see a power restriction option for marines, meaning that they can only build so many structures within the radius of a single power node. This would be like plugging all of your stuff into the same power outlet at home -- eventually you're going to trip the breaker. This mechanic will force marines to base expand in order to build more structures, and also it will prevent turret spam from occurring. So, for instance, you could have 5 or 6 turrets in a room, but nothing else, or you could have 2 turrets, a phase gate, an observatory, an armory, and an arms lab. This way marines don't just sit in their base and build everything up -- which is what happens now, and which is why it is so hard for aliens to end games that go over 20 minutes or so (due to marines having so much crap in their base).
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    the marine spawn on the left side of tram is the worst offender.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    edited February 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1900072:date=Feb 6 2012, 05:52 AM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Feb 6 2012, 05:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1900072"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The problem there is base vents. That shouldn't be possible, all vents in base locations should close if a CC is built there.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If every area marines are supposed be building more than a random RT has to be safe from bbomb you're seriously limiting the mapper's ability to create varied environments. Losing vents is a shame already, but also any kind of neat ledges and such are gone.

This is part of the reason why I don't like how many random starts there are. In NS1 it's enough that you've got one relatively bbomb proof area, now you need the whole map to be filled with such areas. Either that or nerf bbomb to death.
  • KisleKisle Join Date: 2006-12-25 Member: 59229Members
    agreed!

Bilbe bomb is to strong. Damage output is way to high. maybe it should use alot more energy.

And i think gorge heal is super strong too. Its really super hard to kill a gorge 1on1 just with the rifle or pistol.
  • rebirthrebirth Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62416Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2012
    Right now that strong bilebomb is about the only thing giving aliens a chance at winning in mid/late games that got some turtling going.
    But that's also because the onos is currently pretty much useless for his intended role...

I'm more worried about the suggestion of "closing vents and giving mappers guidelines to prevent vents".
    The game feels allready way more 2 dimensional in terms of movement and gameplay because the maps feel more crowded with hardly any cool "vent places" to crawl in around. Also doesn't help that marines can't enter quite a few of them -_-

So i don't really like the idea of giving mapping restrictions for balance reasons, mappers should mostly have creative freedom without constantly beeing limited by balance design decissions to work into their maps.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    If you build as commander always think about the slash DMG of bilebomb, so don't build buildings close to eachother.
    Also place the buildings so, that they can't be biled from to much cover.
    The DMG bilebomb does is ok, because it the only alien that actually can Siege (whips are usless without cover and onos is to big). Marines have GL, Arcs and flamers.

But I agree as soon as 2 or more gorges group up with swarm, marines will have some big problems dealing with almost 1k structure DMG per sec.
  • antacidantacid Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61821Members, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1900285:date=Feb 6 2012, 06:09 PM:name=Floodinator)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Floodinator @ Feb 6 2012, 06:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1900285"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you build as commander always think about the slash DMG of bilebomb, so don't build buildings close to eachother.
    Also place the buildings so, that they can't be biled from to much cover.
    The DMG bilebomb does is ok, because it the only alien that actually can Siege (whips are usless without cover and onos is to big). Marines have GL, Arcs and flamers.

But I agree as soon as 2 or more gorges group up with swarm, marines will have some big problems dealing with almost 1k structure DMG per sec.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The point is that the gorges can now hit the CC SPAWN while under the safety of the vents.

<a href="https://s3.amazonaws.com/satisfaction-production/s3_images/694355/a4b4536d-f4ee-4840-9b41-8b712dc9ee86.jpg?1328481749" target="_blank">https://s3.amazonaws.com/satisfaction-produ....jpg?1328481749</a>

Here is an example
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I like the marine controlled tech point = closed vents suggestion. Or make it a toggleable option in the command station.

When welders come into the game, bile bomb won't be that scary anymore.
  • Gorge_LucasGorge_Lucas Join Date: 2011-07-10 Member: 109352Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1900253:date=Feb 7 2012, 02:08 AM:name=hf_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hf_ @ Feb 7 2012, 02:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1900253"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I agree that bile bomb is overpowered, but it's important to understand the core issue: aliens are not very good at destroying marine structures, and marines build a lot of structures in their bases. So, as a result, bile bomb damage is now crazy high. There needs to be better alien abilities that foster teamwork so that aliens can more effectively take out marine structures (instead of a reliance on bile bomb).

For example, maybe an alt fire option of bile bomb is to produce spit that temporarily disables marine structures / corrodes marines' armor, or the lerk gas disrupts the view of sentry turrets so that they are unable to target enemies until it dissipates. Making small changes like these should help the problem of aliens not being good at destroying structures so that the damage and splash radius of bile bomb can be reduced, and aliens naturally will work together to overcome the marines.

I'd also like to see a power restriction option for marines, meaning that they can only build so many structures within the radius of a single power node. This would be like plugging all of your stuff into the same power outlet at home -- eventually you're going to trip the breaker. This mechanic will force marines to base expand in order to build more structures, and also it will prevent turret spam from occurring. So, for instance, you could have 5 or 6 turrets in a room, but nothing else, or you could have 2 turrets, a phase gate, an observatory, an armory, and an arms lab. This way marines don't just sit in their base and build everything up -- which is what happens now, and which is why it is so hard for aliens to end games that go over 20 minutes or so (due to marines having so much crap in their base).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This post makes so much sense.
  • EjquinnEjquinn Join Date: 2012-01-25 Member: 141995Members
    Bile bomb range is what needs to be nerfed. In the new map every other game I see a skulk run up high, out of range of turrets, go gorge, wait for marines to run out. Then spam bile bomb. By the time they return and manage to kill it the gorge has destroyed atleast half the base.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Last I checked, the damage is actually at 200, not 225, so I suspect it's the lowered energy cost and huge range creating imbalance.
    I think the damage is okay, maybe increase the energy cost a bit and decrease the splash radius.

The bile bomb is the grenade launcher of the aliens but it does no damage to the marines itself. If marines spam grenades at hive everything dies within seconds, even new spawned players or players evolving into higher lifeforms.

Both "weapons" are available at the same time if the marine comm wants to. And i think it wont be this powerful as soon as the welder is available.

I agree that there shouldnt be a vent which is inaccessable to the marines which allows to shoot savely onto the CC/Powernode. I dont see why there shouldnt be a marine all the time in the base to defend it, it maybe a bit boring most times but marines normaly have only 1 base.
  • KarkoKarko Join Date: 2012-01-15 Member: 140533Members
    Gotta agree with the people who said bilebomb is really the only thing the aliens can try to use midgame/lategame in attempt of crushing some marine buildings. The 200 dmg is okay as it is, and the range too. Afterall you really need to get rather close to the base for it to work. Aliens need pretty much their whole team defending these gorges if there is going to be 2 of them siegeing the marine base. Otherwise they end up dying pretty fast to shotguns / GL's. Keep the bilebomb as it is, and adapt to defending the baes from gorges by placing the marine buildings better and using teamwork to clear the gorges with shotties or GL.
  • EjquinnEjquinn Join Date: 2012-01-25 Member: 141995Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1901007:date=Feb 8 2012, 09:50 AM:name=Karko)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Karko @ Feb 8 2012, 09:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1901007"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Gotta agree with the people who said bilebomb is really the only thing the aliens can try to use midgame/lategame in attempt of crushing some marine buildings. The 200 dmg is okay as it is, and the range too. Afterall you really need to get rather close to the base for it to work. Aliens need pretty much their whole team defending these gorges if there is going to be 2 of them siegeing the marine base. Otherwise they end up dying pretty fast to shotguns / GL's. Keep the bilebomb as it is, and adapt to defending the baes from gorges by placing the marine buildings better and using teamwork to clear the gorges with shotties or GL.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You can sit outside of the room and lobe bombs to the otherside. The range is huge
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Thanks guys.

I agree bile bomb is a bit uber at the moment, but I wanted to make sure that aliens could end stalemates. I think I overdid it though. :) Damage will be reduced somewhat in the next patch.
    it's not the damage that kills, it's the ridiculous splash radius.
    edited February 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1901028:date=Feb 8 2012, 12:02 PM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Feb 8 2012, 12:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1901028"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->it's not the damage that kills, it's the ridiculous splash radius.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I second that. Sometimes i'm shocked which buildings i am damaging while bilebombing. The gorge should need to aim.

Is there a damage decrease within the radius? I mean does is the damage lower on the end of the radius then on the center? This could also be a good addition, to decreasing the radius.
    <!--quoteo(post=1901032:date=Feb 8 2012, 02:10 PM:name=Nakorson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nakorson @ Feb 8 2012, 02:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1901032"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I second that. Sometimes i'm shocked which buildings i am damaging while bilebombing. The gorge should need to aim.

Is there a damage decrease within the radius? I mean does is the damage lower on the end of the radius then on the center? This could also be a good addition, to decreasing the radius.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yes, it does decrease with radius. not enough though.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    I feel the splash radius should be decreased, and slight damage increase + energy cost upped (way upped, like 2 B-Bombs max for a Gorge at full Adren). The lessened arcing of the bomb itself is fine, it makes it easier for Gorges to take aim and splash away.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I was doing a test with Bilebomb on rockdown, and I found out after destroying the CC from out of the room, with full in the face hits, the Extractor to it's rear and left, which to my mind was to far from the cc for damage was down to 60%, that tells me the radius is a bit too big, also a direct hit on the cc takes off 4% health. Thats 25 shots from a single gorge, but only 12 & 13 each from 2 gorges, that is not a lot of time at all :)
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    edited February 2012
    Chiming in to say I agree the splash radius is what makes it so good. The damage is relatively low against a single building until you start triggering Swarm with it.

It should be geared toward skillful usage - lobbing it from long distances at high angles, 'bouncing' the bile spray off walls behind structures to exploit sentry angles etc. To be honest, it's close to that now and just needs some numbers tweaks.

<!--quoteo(post=1901097:date=Feb 8 2012, 08:13 PM:name=Soul_Rider)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Soul_Rider @ Feb 8 2012, 08:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1901097"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was doing a test with Bilebomb on rockdown, and I found out after destroying the CC from out of the room, with full in the face hits, the Extractor to it's rear and left, which to my mind was to far from the cc for damage was down to 60%, that tells me the radius is a bit too big, also a direct hit on the cc takes off 4% health. Thats 25 shots from a single gorge, but only 12 & 13 each from 2 gorges, that is not a lot of time at all :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The CC is too weak relative to other structures (and should cost more than 20 res to build). I still think the proper solution to lerk rushing was to just make the CC take more damage...coincidentally it addresses this issue!
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    I think the large splash radius is critical, at least for now. There are some power nodes that are hard to hit without a big splash radiius and it's important that aliens do this so they can break stalemates.
  • SampsonSampson Join Date: 2012-01-06 Member: 139769Members
    edited February 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1901122:date=Feb 8 2012, 09:04 PM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Feb 8 2012, 09:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1901122"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think the large splash radius is critical, at least for now. There are some power nodes that are hard to hit without a big splash radiius and it's important that aliens do this so they can break stalemates.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

only problem i see really is the distance a gorge can bilebomb from... half the time they dont even need to be in your base lol.. splash radius and dmg is fine, but the gorge is trying to be a long-ranged siege class... in ns1 u'd lose gorges in bb rushes but they still worked, you just have to get closer
  • rw_nzrw_nz Join Date: 2012-02-08 Member: 144428Members
    edited February 2012
    I think maybe keep the range (and splash) but decrease the damage. (Or make it so multiple BB's don't stack?)

OR

Increase the HP on *some* of the buildings (not turrets, not IPs) so that taking out bases can be done with alien troops, rather than purely just gorges.

edit: OR increase cooldown on BB. Something to slow the destruction down to give time to react, anyway.

There is NO defense from gorge BB rush

Coming from someone who had 2 bases for 60 minutes being constantly BB'd and gorge rushed (losing a lot, but managing to beacon/defend/repair/rebuild base until finally the aliens got 3 gorges at once (presumably with swarm) and not even a full marine team could stop that.