Can't move with that stuttering

max4490max4490 Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143929Members
I know some people have issues with stuttering, but this is just ridiculous and completely unplayable :
<a href="http://youtu.be/JbDC1qZVWCA" target="_blank">http://youtu.be/JbDC1qZVWCA</a>

Intel Core i7 960 @ 3.8ghz
GeForce GTX 580 (1536mb)
Corsair 12gb DDR3 1600MHz
Windows 7 64

My game runs perfectly fine in an EMPTY server but as soon as I join ANY server (wht around 50-60 latency) I get that problem. Anyone has any idea?

Comments

• Banzai¥Banzai¥ Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143902Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited February 2012
    When it happens, what's the other players latency? Usually one person can have over 500 and the whole server seems impacted by it :|
    Also, I've noticed stuttering seems to decrease when you're out of the 'lobby' and on a team.
  • max4490max4490 Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143929Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1900299:date=Feb 6 2012, 01:58 PM:name=Banzai¥)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Banzai¥ @ Feb 6 2012, 01:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1900299"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->When it happens, what's the other players latency? Usually one person can have over 500 and the whole server seems impacted by it :|
    Also, I've noticed stuttering seems to decrease when you're out of the 'lobby' and on a team.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I tried on probably 10 servers and every single person was under 150 latency. And no the stuttering is as bad in game for me
  • DustehDusteh Join Date: 2011-07-25 Member: 112142Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's to do with the server you are playing on, join one of the following servers and see if you have the same problem:

HBZ
    Team156
    Inversion
  • DivebombDivebomb Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143935Members
    Just made an account to say I've been having the same problem today, it is not intermittent or reduced as the game plays, and is not server specific (spent quite a while switching around, including the servers you list above). I've also done the complete networking check list as well as testing a number of other games to ensure its not just something hinky in my network or isp.

Currently re-installing my client and will attempt again fresh.
  • SkieSkie Skulk Progenitor Join Date: 2003-10-18 Member: 21766Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    That stuttering that's shown in the video is exactly like you get when you play on a poor server. You really do need a beast of a machine to run a server well, so that players don't rubberband to and fro.

The servers mentioned by Dusteh are good, as well as Skulkrush servers and ArmoryChamber is pretty good as well.
    For some reason, though, HBZ has been a bit worse recently.
    Yes it is exactly the rubber banding effect you get when your on a poor server, ie doesn't update quickly enough. However as I said its not server specific, I jumped on a rather large number of servers, it was not intermittent and was completely consistent across all the servers I tried including the ones you mention. Max also mentioned this.

It would seem unlikely that all the servers were running equally crap in this case and just no-one was mentioning it :)

Hopefully something has just gone belly up in my client and a re-install fixes it.
    Just for anyone else who encounters this. The re-install completely eliminated the issue.
  • SkieSkie Skulk Progenitor Join Date: 2003-10-18 Member: 21766Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2012
    Then I would imagine it's something to do with your connection, unless the re-install magically fixes it.
    Your other FPS online games run smooth as butter?

Edit: Ah. Re-install.
  • c0kec0ke Join Date: 2004-07-02 Member: 29676Members
    edited February 2012
    i also experienced that on certain servers. just try another one, e.g. those mentioned above
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2012
    please try the net_stats command in the console to make sure it is the server and not NS2. A low tickrate 1-15 (maybe 20) can cause these issues.
    Just to reiterate for the umpteenth time. It was not a server specific issue, it was consistent across a large number of servers including all of the major stable, populated servers and not intermittent in any fashion.

It was either;

Something hinky in my copy of the client.
    Or something hinky in my local network or isp that resolved itself in the hour the client took to re-download.
  • basti1337basti1337 Join Date: 2011-05-13 Member: 98538Members
    I had this problem just once and this was on a server with a tickrate of 1...
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1900324:date=Feb 7 2012, 06:50 AM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Feb 7 2012, 06:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1900324"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->please try the net_stats command in the console to make sure it is the server and not NS2. A low tickrate 1-15 (maybe 20) can cause these issues.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you want help, i would suggest you follow kouji's advice.
    Type net_stats and let us know what the client tickrate and the server tickrate are when you experience said stuttering. Perhaps even choke and messages recieved x kb/s. After doing so, we will be able to determine whether it is a server problem or a client problem.

The normal downstream bandwidth used by an ns2 client shoudl be 15-20kb/s. If this spikes and varies alot from 8 - 50 then you know there is a connection problem if the server tickrates are steady in high 20's.
    <!--quoteo(post=1900347:date=Feb 6 2012, 02:59 PM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Feb 6 2012, 02:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1900347"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you want help, i would suggest you follow kouji's advice.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Is this directed towards me?
  • MoragMorag Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143967Members
    Am I having a stoke?
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Looks like a server issue to me, not your client. The server you were on probably can't handle NS2 at the moment...at least not with too many players or entities.
  • ClonesaClonesa Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143691Members
    I get this issue as well. With very long ping, fast weapon attack response time and no other players lagging very hard. To me it feels like a client side prediction failure. Animations seem to stop interpolating and entity movement is not predicted at all.
    edited February 2012
    I take it people are just watching the video and not reading the the thread? Not that I have any problem with it, its just confusing as hell.

It does look just like the rubber banding you get on a server that's struggling, I get that, BUT the important difference is as the OP said: it was every and any server without fail, as I said it was every and any server without fail. Yet, although I don't want to denigrate the attempt to help, just about every reply has been "Have you tried another server?" or "That's just the server your on". Can't speak for the OP on whether or not he got it working, but in my case a re-install fixed it (or the hypothetical networking issue fixed itself during the time it took to re-download). Perhaps I could have been clearer.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Look could you please just simply use the bloody command in your console :|

net_stats

It will show you a lot of stuff we can use to at least be certain what the probably cause could be! Things like client side prediction, choke, packet loss, Kb (up and down) among your client rate and more...
    edited February 2012
    This would be what I'm talking about, in the context of all I've said two questions;

Which server would you like the net stats from out of the 15+ I tried?
    And doesn't the fact that I fixed the problem adjust your need to get net_stats results? (post #8)

Edit: This isn't intended as combative as it may come across. I'm just genuinely baffled by some of the responses.
    Alight, so a reinstall "fixed" it. Still, by not using the net_stats command or checking the profiler while this was going on and perhaps checking your log.txt this is kinda a moot point now. As it could indeed be an entirely different issue lurking in the engine somewhere, still. Or even a temporarily local network problem as well. Oh well...
    Yep, don't get me wrong, the net_stats advice would have been well received while I was experiencing the problem.