Server Performance / Linux Version

CaradasCaradas Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47826Members
Hi there,

i think the game is amazing since build 194 is released,but there is on big problem, the dedicated server.
It needs too much cpu power!

People are testing the new build and get pissed off because they don't hit the enemy or stuttering through the map on a normal server (rented, standard hardware, not overclocked and located in a server-farm).
I did not find a Company who offers Overclocked I7 2600k servers to rent.

the next thing is all the payable servers, with enough power, are running linux. (i dont want to spend 100€/month for making other peoples fun)
So PLEASE release the linux server soon.

Comments

• basti1337basti1337 Join Date: 2011-05-13 Member: 98538Members
    That will be their primary task when the game is feature complete I think... And of course more client optimizations :)
  • devicenulldevicenull Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15967Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    An E3 1270 can handle about 18 players with no issues. This would use an entire core, and half of another one. In theory, you could get about 4 of these to a machine (I have not yet tested this though). 1270 based boxes are pretty easily available, though still a few hundred/month.

If you want linux support, I've heard the server runs quite well on wine right now. All linux support would do right now is suck development resources away from actually completing the game.
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    I thought linux "support" broke around B187 and has been down since then.
  • croncron Join Date: 2010-06-21 Member: 72122Members
    I think you can be certain that no online multiplayer shooter will survive very long without a dedi server for Linux. I'm pretty sure they will release one before v1.0.