Mines ruined it

RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
edited January 2012 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">at least hurt marines ffs</div>The game still runs subobtimal on my machine (on "god awful" settings), attacking marines that have mines is basically pointless since you cant properly evade it nor are they hurt by their own shlocking dreck.

Comments

• PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    The mines remind me of the times when grenades could explode on impact with the ground/walls, minus the suicidal nature of it.
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    Didnt the GL have no self damage in early builds?
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I think Mines should explode in a big puff of smoke that obscure vision of close by players (2-3 radius), and shake their screens like mines did back in NS1.
  • measlesmeasles Join Date: 2007-02-26 Member: 60122Members, Constellation
    Mines in B191 are ridiculous!
    I think mines should remain as a MAC upgrade.
    MAC's are a GREAT addition to the world of Natural Selection, and in build 191 are rarely seen.
    Whats does MAC even stand for?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1895131:date=Jan 17 2012, 02:07 PM:name=measles)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (measles @ Jan 17 2012, 02:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1895131"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Mines in B191 are ridiculous!
    I think mines should remain as a MAC upgrade.
    MAC's are a GREAT addition to the world of Natural Selection, and in build 191 are rarely seen.
    Whats does MAC even stand for?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Mobile Automated Constructor and yeah marines wanted their building skills back and are getting welding skills. MAC's are going to be out of a job if this keeps up. Mostly pushed back to repairing/constructing the structures...

Mines are being looked at right now, but remember you at least have some tools already to get rid of them. We just need some tweaks to the thing :)
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited January 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1895013:date=Jan 17 2012, 01:58 AM:name=RobB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobB @ Jan 17 2012, 01:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1895013"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The game still runs subobtimal on my machine (on "god awful" settings), attacking marines that have mines is basically pointless since you cant properly evade it nor are they hurt by their own shlocking dreck.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Aliens have cysts...build a line to marine base...all mines are dead, whats the problem?
    I don't understand the crying about mines, they are not overpowered, one infestation cyst and there gone...EVERY MINE.
    I mean cysts are like free and mines cost 10 res.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1895171:date=Jan 18 2012, 04:44 AM:name=Price)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Price @ Jan 18 2012, 04:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1895171"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Aliens have cysts...build a line to marine base...all mines are dead, whats the problem?
    I don't understand the crying about mines, they are not overpowered, one infestation cyst and there gone...EVERY MINE.
    I mean cysts are like free and mines cost 10 res.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I've noticed alot of people saying this. Just cyst and the mines are dead. yea ok.

I've <b>not</b> noticed alot of people pointing out that
    a) hive energy is valuable regenerating at a measly rate of 2 cysts per minute. They are far from free. Drifters also come from this energy pool.
    b) You need to know where the mines are from LOS and memory.

So no, it is not ONE infestation cyst and they are gone. It is multiple cysts to get to the position where they are mine spamming at the cost of deviating from your harvester infestation line and the risk of marines shooting your cysts halfway there. Most of the time its hardly worth it. Why would anyone spend around 5 cysts (75 energy = 2.5 minutes of energy = a large ammount of tres forgone from using said energy for RT's) just to kill a few mines which hardly cost anything due to abundant marine pres. It is harder and much more costly to do in game than you realise. This is assuming you have map hacks and know where all the mines are anyway. Generally you only figure out where they are when aliens die to them, leaving well.. no mines left there at all.

Seriously, if your mines are being killed by cysts, you need to work on your mine use. They have insane utility which is nice, but their cost is unbalanced.
  • put3rg33kput3rg33k Join Date: 2012-01-02 Member: 139432Members
    Here is my take on mines.

Mines should not be a combat item, they should be a defense item. Mines should be used to protect structures and to secure alien entry points such as popular hallways and vents. Yes there is arming time which is supposed to prevent the marine running from a skulk and just dropping a mine, but it does nothing for the marine who bunny hops over his mine until it arms. Usually the marine does end up being chomped, but the skulk dies anyway from the mine; unless of course you have 100% accuracy in your skulk bites, which I know I don't.

As indicated several posts the costs of mines is extremely cheap and in addition they are placed, well, everywhere. I don't know that moving them back to the commander or even to MACs will solve the mine spam problem. Placement of mines should require some type of strategy not just spam wherever. I have no problem getting blown to bits by a mine set up just outside the entryway to a vent or around a corner with marines baiting me. I just hate that there are mines scattered everywhere they possibly can. I believe we can simply look at other games that have similar features, and take from there implementation. For instance in MW3 you can look at any of the static lethal items; bouncing betties, claymores and c4. You are restricted to only 1 item until you die in which the placement is removed from the game and you get another for your next life.

My proposal is this:
    1) Limit the amount of mines a marine can place to something relatively small like 3, notice I didn't say carry. If you want to go back to the armory and get more mines then fine, but any new placement should remove the earliest placed mine. When you die the mine(s) should be removed, though you can replace it on your next life if you choose. 2) Give the commander back the ability to place mines (or give them to MACs) but these will stay on the map until destroyed or until the cap is reached like discussed earlier.

The last thing I have on mines is they really need to cause damage to friendlies as well, structures and marines. In MW3 if I am behind a bouncing betty and the enemy shoots it, it blows up and I suffer splash damage. This will cause the marines to be more conscious of where they place their mines.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    As much as I support anti-spam measures, using MW3 as an example probably isn't the best move you could make here.
    <!--quoteo(post=1895353:date=Jan 17 2012, 06:35 PM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Jan 17 2012, 06:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1895353"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As much as I support anti-spam measures, using MW3 as an example probably isn't the best move you could make here.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Nice that you have an opinion but your statement is pointless without any explanation. NS2 is an FPS and therefore technically I could use any FPS that has similar features that fit the bill of the comparison to the problem; I choose MW3 for that reason. This is a more valid argument than those that try to use Savage 2 as a baseline....
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    storytime.

I jumped on a game of ns2 late at night, after watching the latest ns2hd featured on the news page since it has shown a vastly improved performance - i wasn't let down, but it isn't exactly a smooth ride either, yet (mind you, my rig's something like 4 to 5 years old, so I'm blaming the system and are making plans for upgrades already, anyway).

The game was pretty advanced already and my team (aliens this time) was losing like any other team I was playing on since the public alpha.

Point is, the marines where using mines offensively, placing it somewhere near a hive, advancing a bit and shooting everything (especially cysts), and falling back when lifeforms retaliated- boom while they litteraly camped on the forbidden items (<a href="http://www.un.org/millennium/law/xxvi-18-19.htm" target="_blank">read this</a>).

there where no point to this game anymore since 2nd hive went up and down all over the map like a pogo stick, so I left after two minutes already.

Mines are an F-all item.
  • Fluid CoreFluid Core Join Date: 2007-12-26 Member: 63260Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1895427:date=Jan 18 2012, 06:31 AM:name=put3rg33k)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (put3rg33k @ Jan 18 2012, 06:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1895427"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nice that you have an opinion but your statement is pointless without any explanation. NS2 is an FPS and therefore technically I could use any FPS that has similar features that fit the bill of the comparison to the problem; I choose MW3 for that reason. This is a more valid argument than those that try to use Savage 2 as a baseline....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes. Only problem is that it doesn't fit here. NS is an arcady fps with rts elements, while mw aren't even remotely arcady. You should atleast use a game that had a similar style. You can't just ttake any game that has a similar feature and use it to support your argumument. The games play completely different different. If you still do want to use the mw approach, you need to justify why it is relevant for ns. That they are both fps does not make it relevant.

Example 1: skulks should get headbite as in AvP2 to allow them to scale better with aiming and not get so weak once marines get better weapons, armor and their upgrades.

Example 2: the pistol should gereduced damage and much less accurac because you can kill someone quite easy with it, and in almost no other fps can you do that.

Mines are to spammy though, and I tjink that aliens should get better at clearing them. IfI could choose it would be in the sense of a slight delayed explosion on mines, so that aware skulks could trigger them and turn away before they exploded to take minimal damage. Oh, and if you are wondering, example 1 was the good one.
  • SampsonSampson Join Date: 2012-01-06 Member: 139769Members
    why not just make it so mines can only be dropped a certain radius from a command chair and/or IPs? or some other structure. just limit the distance they can be built from certain structures, that way it's more defensive... and limit the amount in the radius by making each mine have a placement radius.
  • reavenreaven Join Date: 2011-09-30 Member: 124664Members
    I think a quite simple method to balance the mines a bit is that you need to stay still while you are arming them, making you a perfect victim unless the aree is clear. This way it wouldn't be used in the middle of a battle.
    edited January 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1895566:date=Jan 18 2012, 10:05 AM:name=Fluid Core)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fluid Core @ Jan 18 2012, 10:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1895566"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes. Only problem is that it doesn't fit here. NS is an arcady fps with rts elements, while mw aren't even remotely arcady. You should atleast use a game that had a similar style. You can't just ttake any game that has a similar feature and use it to support your argumument. The games play completely different different. If you still do want to use the mw approach, you need to justify why it is relevant for ns. That they are both fps does not make it relevant.

Example 1: skulks should get headbite as in AvP2 to allow them to scale better with aiming and not get so weak once marines get better weapons, armor and their upgrades.

Example 2: the pistol should gereduced damage and much less accurac because you can kill someone quite easy with it, and in almost no other fps can you do that.

Mines are to spammy though, and I tjink that aliens should get better at clearing them. IfI could choose it would be in the sense of a slight delayed explosion on mines, so that aware skulks could trigger them and turn away before they exploded to take minimal damage. Oh, and if you are wondering, example 1 was the good one.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well I don't really see how it being arcady or not even remotely arcady has anything to do with the relevance as it doesn't deter from the concept. Regardless, I thought I did cover my reasons behind my argument without trying to enforce what is already known. My statement was in a paragraph that was used to a relation, not to a recommended solution. My recommend solution was provided later and didn't relate to anything specific (though I did use the ideas from MW3). Perhaps it was my wording?

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->For instance in MW3 you can look at any of the static lethal items; bouncing betties, claymores and c4. You are restricted to only 1 item until you die in which the placement is removed from the game and you get another for your next life.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

In NS2 you should limit the amount of mines that any marine can place, and once the marine dies the mines should be removed. This works extremely well in the deployment of static lethal items in MW3 as the players are forced to strategically place these items instead of spamming them across the map.
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    edited January 2012
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think a quite simple method to balance the mines a bit is that you need to stay still while you are arming them, making you a perfect victim unless the aree is clear. This way it wouldn't be used in the middle of a battle.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    +1, it also increases the feel of actually having PREPARED some defense/traps as right now it's more of a fire&forget.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1) Limit the amount of mines a marine can place to something relatively small like 3, notice I didn't say carry. If you want to go back to the armory and get more mines then fine, but any new placement should remove the earliest placed mine.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    +1, but the armory should somehow point out how many mines you have still deployed.

as for removing mines on death, i'm very much against that. it makes marines VERY vulnerable to counter-attacks (e.g. the entire team died while attacking some hive) and from a personal perspective, it seems very frustrating to lose your expensive weapon as well as all your carefully placed mines with a single death.

one further suggestion in case the total number of mines is limited per marine: marines could be allowed to defuse their mines (taking some time) in order to deploy them somewhere else.
  • Death_by_bulletsDeath_by_bullets Join Date: 2004-03-14 Member: 27336Members
    Here is the counter point to your whining.

Not all parts of the game are implemented yet.

I'm not exactly sure but I believe the Onos, when released, will most likely be a substantial game changer in favor of the Aliens. I have an idea for you. Why don't you become a better player and learn new tactics that counter against these mines. Why don't you take on the new challenge and improve your skills. Maybe you should rethink your strategy.

And yes, I'm sure the mines could use some tweaking but if you want to complain about every change, put down the game, get a job, if you already have one, get another job, then when the game comes out, quit your job and then you can complain.

Have a nice day.
  • SampsonSampson Join Date: 2012-01-06 Member: 139769Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1895638:date=Jan 18 2012, 06:40 PM:name=Death_by_bullets)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Death_by_bullets @ Jan 18 2012, 06:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1895638"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Here is the counter point to your whining.

Not all parts of the game are implemented yet.

I'm not exactly sure but I believe the Onos, when released, will most likely be a substantial game changer in favor of the Aliens. I have an idea for you. Why don't you become a better player and learn new tactics that counter against these mines. Why don't you take on the new challenge and improve your skills. Maybe you should rethink your strategy.

And yes, I'm sure the mines could use some tweaking but if you want to complain about every change, put down the game, get a job, if you already have one, get another job, then when the game comes out, quit your job and then you can complain.

Have a nice day.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

this is a suggestion forum. go troll elsewhere. thanks. be 1337 elsewhere, where people STILL don't care.