NS1 Players still out there?

2»

Comments

• ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    Still do, might play even more because I finally got working microphone.
  • QuadLMGkillQuadLMGkill Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72576Members
    edited August 2010
    There's only a handful of servers with enough humans playing, but they are usually US servers with 24/7 mic spammers screaming ""oh my god". They'll complain about your ping without realizing there's only about 6 server options in the whole world.
  • SpaceMoogle5SpaceMoogle5 Join Date: 2003-06-23 Member: 17643Members, NS1 Playtester
    NS1 for life, then when thats over maybe NS2 will be out
  • JohnGalt123JohnGalt123 Join Date: 2010-12-01 Member: 75382Members
    Just played NS1 last night after lagging horribly in NS2 Alpha. Worked fine for me (Win7 Pro 64-bit), except it was extremely dark. Had to do some command so I could get "Display does not support downloadable gam" to go away.

I used to be pretty good (at aliens). Was playing on the <BAD> servers last night and I was getting my butt handed to me. I haven't seriously played an FPS in at least 5 years, so incredibly rusty >_< I set all of my settings to what I remembered them being and everything felt kinda weird. Was missing a lot of easy hits and probably got only about 4 kills the hour I played.

:8
    John Galt
    <a href="http://ambitpros.com/ambit-energy-blog-archive/ambit-versus/ambit-energy" target="_blank"> Ambit Energy </a>, Sales Consultant
    St. Louis, Missouri
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1779995:date=Jul 16 2010, 11:31 PM:name=sturmeh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sturmeh @ Jul 16 2010, 11:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1779995"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There's a total of 1 Australian server that still exists, about 6 people at good times. :(

What will NS2 be like? Any aussies here?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

My perception of Australia might be a liiiiittttleee bit off, but from my point of view most of it sure looks a lot like living a million miles from anywhere in one of the few inhabitable places along the cost, surrounded by a vast ocean on one side and a giant sandbox on the other, both crowed with just about every venomous creature known to man.

There's a lot of people in south-east asia and a fair number of the youth know some broken english. Brisbane is 20-30 light-milliseconds from south-east asia and the populous areas of China. The index of refraction of an optical fiber is ~1.5; the minimum theoretical ping(round-trip) is thus some 60-90 ms ping at the speed of light in an optical fiber. In the real world, of course, there are buffers and processing delays at every hop that eat a few milliseconds each, the NS2 server eats a few tens of milliseconds to perform calculations, some packets are lost, some take a circuitous route to the destination. The latency probably never will be acceptable between Australia and south-east asia. Looks like your stuck playing only with aussies, kiwis.
  • TcOTcO Join Date: 2004-09-22 Member: 31860Members
    I've played it intensive for a few years, clanwars etc, miss it alot, still waiting for that NS2 release.

Since I also lost my steam account, I lost acces to NS 1, I want to play it again though. Can you buy it standalone these day's? Or should I buy HL1 and then download the mod for free?
  • seeker407seeker407 Join Date: 2012-01-06 Member: 139743Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1892660:date=Jan 4 2012, 01:35 PM:name=TcO)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TcO @ Jan 4 2012, 01:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1892660"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've played it intensive for a few years, clanwars etc, miss it alot, still waiting for that NS2 release.

Since I also lost my steam account, I lost acces to NS 1, I want to play it again though. Can you buy it standalone these day's? Or should I buy HL1 and then download the mod for free?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Dude where were you last night!?!? Haha I haven't played in years d last night I bought the half life pack (I too lost my last account and had to debut everything) and downloaded and installed me2 last night and after some heavy drinking gamed.. I finally found some human players out there but man there are sooo few! And they are playing on these stupid "combat maps" I really dot like them.. I just wanna play the good old fashion ns_siege with commander and building things and creepy silences haha...

Anyways yeah I think you have to buy half life and then install me2... anyways my screenname is seeker407 you should find me and we should play bro! There's a lot of servers with tons of bots on aliens so we can be marines and at least one server where all the marines are bots.

Sorry for the typos I am doing this from my phone haha!
  • seeker407seeker407 Join Date: 2012-01-06 Member: 139743Members
    edited January 2012
    And by "me2" I actually mean ns1 lol
  • Retro~BurnRetro~Burn Join Date: 2012-01-09 Member: 139941Members
    edited January 2012
    I made a thread without realising this one was here (I don't know how :-p). Add me so we can have some good games.
  • JirikiJiriki retired ns1 player Join Date: 2003-01-04 Member: 11780Members, NS1 Playtester, Squad Five Silver
    I and some competitive players still play, <a href="http://www.ensl.org/" target="_blank">pick-up games on ENSL</a>.