Making a level in Maya/ 3D Studio Max/ Blender?

zombiehellmonkeyzombiehellmonkey Join Date: 2007-08-31 Member: 62093Members, Squad Five Blue
<div class="IPBDescription">Wondering in terms of possibility</div>I've been working in Maya for years now and to be honest it has been a real pain working with the tools in the Spark Editor - I am amazed at the patience that some people have doing more complex geometry in Spark! So I was wondering about how it would pan out to make complete sections of the level using an external 3D application like Maya or 3ds Max - how it would affect collision and <b>particularly infestation</b> and other game dynamics. I would add the game entities, lighting, sounds and occlusion geometry afterwards.

Comments

• SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    I think the biggest obstacle will be the pathing and scale. Seems like you would almost have to overlay faces on everything making it double the work but I could be wrong. I foresee you building it and then UWE making a change that would end it from ever working. Seems to be par for the course for an engine still under development.

Other than that, A complex geometry with basic collision geometry would work but I would start small to test and wait until 1.0 release before I perused such a task.
  • zombiehellmonkeyzombiehellmonkey Join Date: 2007-08-31 Member: 62093Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1892784:date=Jan 5 2012, 09:57 PM:name=SN.Wolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SN.Wolf @ Jan 5 2012, 09:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1892784"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think the biggest obstacle will be the pathing and scale. Seems like you would almost have to overlay faces on everything making it double the work but I could be wrong. I foresee you building it and then UWE making a change that would end it from ever working. Seems to be par for the course for an engine still under development.

Other than that, A complex geometry with basic collision geometry would work but I would start small to test and wait until 1.0 release before I perused such a task.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah I suppose you're right, it's just too risky of a time investment. Thanks for replying.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Enough time to get familiar with Spark ;-).
  • zombiehellmonkeyzombiehellmonkey Join Date: 2007-08-31 Member: 62093Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1892870:date=Jan 6 2012, 12:31 PM:name=Floodinator)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Floodinator @ Jan 6 2012, 12:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1892870"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Enough time to get familiar with Spark ;-).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Spark is pretty basic as a 3D tool, Maya and 3DS Max have been in development for years - there's a reason why those apps are often used in developing games and making animated movies.

Spark is good up to a level, but saying that it is the end all be all is like saying that Microsoft Paintbox is better than Photoshop. Sure you can do great things with Paintbox, and you can do great things with a hand-drill too, but tools are there for artists to concentrate less on technical stuff and focus more on their vision. The better the tool, the more time is freed up to be creative.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzjsTt_DzCw" target="_blank">Unreal Engine 3 Tech Demo</a>
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    You have to keep in mind that SparkE and Tools development have been put on the back-burner for now as the game is the main priority
  • fmponefmpone Join Date: 2011-07-05 Member: 108086Members, Squad Five Blue
    It's not really plausible. There are a million reasons why
  • konatakonata Join Date: 2011-08-24 Member: 118296Members
    There's a reason game engine have specific tool sets.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    They could just improve a bit the import function and then you could do the geometry in any soft.
    <!--quoteo(post=1893122:date=Jan 8 2012, 05:00 AM:name=Yuuki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yuuki @ Jan 8 2012, 05:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1893122"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They could just improve a bit the import function and then you could do the geometry in any soft.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That would be a good start. If not, then at least they could create snap filters (vertex, grid, line), multiple vertex selections and coordinates editing, bolean functions, parenting and grouping, vertex welding/unwelding - oh, sounds like asking too much? perhaps it would be better then with just better import file support :DD
  • konatakonata Join Date: 2011-08-24 Member: 118296Members
    Well considering the game has been in production since 2007/8 and it's 2012 and it's not version 1. I'd like to see the game finished first.
  • InfamaniousInfamanious Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58374Members
    I wouldn't like to shun upon the development team for NS2, but..I think it's safe to say the spark editor should have never been released if it has flaws. A simple bug as simple as vertices/lines unaligning by themselves is absolutely ridiculous. How can a vertices be unsquare with the grid when i painstakenly aligned everything..zoomed in for every square on the grid...always used refine grid at 8"... I for one am a beginner with spark, and i do indeed have the right to shun the development team..as a customer. I payed for this game and it's sdk tools. ..

Dual core 2.8ghz
    5gigs of ram
    4200 radeon hd..

Yet i build a simple square room with a curved hallway..and my fps is 11 on the lowest graphic settings.. You guys made a huge mistake developing your own engine..this game would have been amazing and flawless if you used the source engine. ..The way i see it is you guys failed to realize how demanding real time rendering with lights and whatnot would affect so many people. Or...pure speculation here. For money. ..but anywho. ..tsk tsk tsk.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2012
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1895972:date=Jan 20 2012, 12:57 AM:name=Infamanious)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Infamanious @ Jan 20 2012, 12:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1895972"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->4200 radeon hd..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's not a gaming card you know... Also you paid for early beta access and eventual full version access... But that card is seriously underpowered by any standards... HDx<b>8</b>xx series are gaming cards, the lower this number goes the lower the amount of features there are on the card, especially on an integrated card like this lacking it's own memory even...

Also graphics is not the part of the engine that is currently bogged down, the dynamic lighting and rendering are actually very fast, it is mostly the game code which runs on the CPU mostly for now...
  • Evil_bOb1Evil_bOb1 Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 938Members, Squad Five Blue
    Said like that, it sound like UWE put the cart before the horse...
  • zastelszastels Join Date: 2003-11-29 Member: 23731Members
    I think this guy is on to something. If you think in terms of an entire map, it seems impossible maybe. But if you consider what may be able to be done with say, just a ceiling or a floor, which is mainly flat, you could probably get some great detail in there without too many problems.

Imagine Summit's Atrium room having a huge model set piece for the glass dome. The fidelity potential is much higher if it's made in maya. Not that it doesn't already look great : )