Another direct NS2 ripoff

13»

Comments

• sheena_yanaisheena_yanai Join Date: 2002-12-23 Member: 11426Members
    watching it made me motion sick, i dont remember it having such ugly view bob and op aliens
  • konatakonata Join Date: 2011-08-24 Member: 118296Members
    <center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-BFNfbgtJX4"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-BFNfbgtJX4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>

Tremulous had movement too. Although I never did play Tremulous, it doesn't look like a "direct" rip off of anything.
  • gorge.ousgorge.ous Join Date: 2011-01-07 Member: 76481Members
    edited December 2011
    Sooo, to get back to topic because nobody cares who "ripped off" who:

The problem is that this kind of release is a grey area as the GPL2 never really took AppStores into account and there are only little things where you could try to go against this. One thing being that 1 dollar seems to high for a "fee for <b>physical</b> distribution" within the GPL or that the author is not distributing the games under a GPL license. But I have very little hope that the Apple developer support will do anything here, I tried my best.

The one thing I would recommend: everybody with an AppStore account, go to the Tremulous and OpenArena ripp offs, downvote it and leave a comment that those are free games which can be downloaded for free from the respective websites. Give the links etc and maybe suggest to buyers of the games to contact support and demand their money back, even if its just one dollar.
    Maybe then nobody will be buying it anymore.
    edited December 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1891421:date=Dec 23 2011, 07:08 PM:name=konata)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (konata @ Dec 23 2011, 07:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891421"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-BFNfbgtJX4"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-BFNfbgtJX4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>

Tremulous had movement too. Although I never did play Tremulous, it doesn't look like a "direct" rip off of anything.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

they are all commenting based on knowing nothing about the game, judging it as a direct rip, based on a unrelated screenshot on the appstore which wasnt taken in the game but from a build of ns2 on a custom map. the game itself looks quite different, and is more like gloom.. kinda.. , the only IP violation in this case was using the screenshot of a different game, calling it yours, plus selling a quake2 mod you do not own at all as stand alone game on the appstore. thats it
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1891428:date=Dec 23 2011, 10:03 AM:name=sheena_yanai)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sheena_yanai @ Dec 23 2011, 10:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891428"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->plus selling a quake2 mod<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    *cough* Quake 3 *cough*
    <!--quoteo(post=1891429:date=Dec 23 2011, 08:11 PM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Dec 23 2011, 08:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891429"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->*cough* Quake 3 *cough*<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    it was a quake 3 mod? oh my gosh..to long ago, cant remember
  • Josh86Josh86 Join Date: 2010-12-06 Member: 75513Members
    Huh, I guess I didn't realize Tremulous was so newish. I didn't realize it was for Quake 3, either. Maybe I was thinking of Gloom in the first place *shrugs*. Like I said, I had never really played Quake -- before Quake 3 was released I was already mastering Unreal Tournament from a demo disk I had. I rememer my roommate in college being a Q3 Arena player and I thought UT was much better. I don't really like the new UTs, though.

Those strucutres in Gloom do look familar though, heh.

Mmm, I wish there was an AvP team based game like Natural Selection. I'd love that. AvP was not enjoyable with the lag/mechanics, AvP2 was good, and AvP3 didn't quite man-up. Here's hoping for Colonial Marines to be fun.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1891418:date=Dec 23 2011, 08:40 AM:name=sheena_yanai)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sheena_yanai @ Dec 23 2011, 08:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891418"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->watching it made me motion sick, i dont remember it having such ugly view bob and op aliens<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Viewbob was all the rage back in the day.

If you can get unreal gold in the steam sales, give it a go, it's worth playing if only for the experience.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1891418:date=Dec 23 2011, 08:40 AM:name=sheena_yanai)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sheena_yanai @ Dec 23 2011, 08:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891418"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->watching it made me motion sick, i dont remember it having such ugly view bob and op aliens<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    watching a video and playing it yourself are two different things though. You can predict the view bob when you are at the controls :)
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2012
    Why is everyone getting so worked up over who copied who?

Charlie said one of the biggest influences on NS was Gloom.

<a href="http://www.planetgloom.com/" target="_blank">http://www.planetgloom.com/</a>

Also, did you guys all miss this post?

<!--quoteo(post=1891022:date=Dec 20 2011, 03:32 PM:name=Deagle2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Deagle2 @ Dec 20 2011, 03:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891022"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wow, I got surprised, this screenshot actually came from me, I tried remaking a famous tremulous map in NS2 with my crappy mapping skills because I like both games, and I posted it on tremulous forum... I dropped the project because I was too bad at this. Still that's disgusting what this guy do.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The screenshot was nothing to do with the guy selling the game. Javier just stole all the screenshots from the tremulouos forums. He probably wasn't even aware of the fact it wasn't a tremulous screenshot.

------EDIT------

Sorry for the threadromancy, got here through links and didn't check the dates :P my bad :(
  • NecropsYNecropsY Join Date: 2012-01-23 Member: 141746Members
    The screenshot shows 88 FPS

ns2 fps would be 22

how is it related?