Steam Winter Sale

PaniggPanigg Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58212Members
edited December 2011 in Off-Topic
<div class="IPBDescription">Win every game ever!</div><a href="http://www.joystiq.com/2011/12/19/steams-holiday-sale-discounts-everything-ever-gives-gifts-gam/" target="_blank">http://www.joystiq.com/2011/12/19/steams-h...ives-gifts-gam/</a>

Well, we're all screwed. The annual Steam holiday deals have gone live, discounting ... let's just say "all the games" to be efficient, okay? All the games are discounted, as are a bunch of humongous packs which similarly include all the games, and, if that weren't enough, Steam is giving away free games to folks who play other games. Congratulations! We all get more games than any of us could ever hope to play in our lifetimes.

Those free games are earned by completing a series of in-game objectives which cycle everyday until January 1. Completing them either gets you a freebie off the "Great Gift Pile" or a lump of coal, seven of which can also be traded in for an actual gift. Alternatively, you could save your lumps up -- each counts as an entry into a Steam sweepstakes, the grand prize for which is every game on Steam ever. Seriously, that's not hyperbole. The prize is every game.

-Joystiq

-----------------------------

Every game ever? Sounds like a deal.

Edit: Don't forget! 2nd and 3rd place are top 10/top 5 from your wishlist, so get that wishlist in order or you won't get a thing!

Comments

• SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    Welp, bought a bunch of itty bitty games. The only one standing out somewhat is Cargo - The quest for gravity which is surprisingly on the to-do list for games/coals but the achievement is cryptic.

Soon new daily deals! Also, it seems they removed the 80% discount on Dead Island, it's only 33% nao.
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    Tempted by Metro 2033 and Portal 2!
  • Dirty_Harry_PotterDirty_Harry_Potter Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9500Members
    Bought Amnesia the Dark Descent (It's time I either show myself as an utter wuss, or become a man!) and Orcs Must Die!. I was definitely also tempted by Portal 2 - but I did the semi-foolish thing of putting it on my christmas wishlist, so I can't really buy it.

Just a note on the great gift pile mechanic: it seems that, besides coal, the presents can hold coupons (for use from January 2nd to March) and even some games (one guy I talked to got Supreme Commander).
  • PaniggPanigg Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58212Members
    I got orcs must die, which I wanted to get anyway, for like 3 bucks, dungeons of dredmoor and psychonauts... all three together cost me like 6 bucks... can't resist the sale...
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    If you check the inventory in steam you get a free gift. I got a free copy of Portal 1!
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Woah, I just got Portal 2 for free...simply by joining that Steam 2011 Holiday Group <a href="http://steamcommunity.com/games/holidaysalecommunitygroup" target="_blank">http://steamcommunity.com/games/holidaysalecommunitygroup</a>

Is everyone getting portal games free? What games have you guys got?
  • Dirty_Harry_PotterDirty_Harry_Potter Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9500Members
    I have: 3 pieces of coal, and two 25% coupons for Valve games. So nothing super exciting.
  • That_Annoying_KidThat_Annoying_Kid Sire of Titles Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14175Members, Constellation
    are HL1 steamid's 5 bucks or less?
  • RetalesRetales Panigg cultist Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19180Members
    edited December 2011
    So far:
    <ul><li>7 lumps of coal</li><li>Valve -33%</li><li>MumboJumbo Complete Pack -50%</li></ul>

I love Steam, no sarcasm there. I can't look a gift horse in the mouth. Because I don't have a gift horse. And I can't look lumps of coal in the mouth either, because they don't have mouths.
    edited December 2011
    Nothing super cool yet, got 4 lumps of coal, one -25% off valve and -50% of tinybangstory... Ima gonna save up that cole for the superprize. :D

Gnar, they have Arkham City for 25 bucks. Oo so tempted...
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    Yup, Arkham City, $25, doing it now.

I'm hoping for Skyrim to also hit a sale like that
  • Konohas Perverted HermitKonohas Perverted Hermit Join Date: 2008-09-26 Member: 65075Members
    These Achievements to get prizes things are kinda nice. I tried out that Spiral Knight, game from yesterday and the game itself isn't bad for how kiddy it looks.

<!--quoteo(post=1891240:date=Dec 21 2011, 06:03 PM:name=Thansal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thansal @ Dec 21 2011, 06:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891240"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yup, Arkham City, $25, doing it now.

I'm hoping for Skyrim to also hit a sale like that<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Got it too.
  • ZiGGYZiGGY Join Date: 2003-01-19 Member: 12479Members
    I tried not buying anything but ended up picking up monday night combat and psychonauts :|
  • X_StickmanX_Stickman Not good enough for a custom title. Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15533Members, Constellation
    Psychonauts is great. You most likely won't regret it.

Probably.
    <!--quoteo(post=1891292:date=Dec 22 2011, 01:57 PM:name=X_Stickman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (X_Stickman @ Dec 22 2011, 01:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891292"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Psychonauts is great. You most likely won't regret it.

Probably.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I didn't... except the boyd level... where I got motion sick and almost puked.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    Arkham City at half price. Already. I feel like Steam is just mocking me now.

"lol you bought something at full price! SUCKER!"
  • MonkfishMonkfish Sonic-boom-inducing buttcheeks of terrifying speed&#33; Join Date: 2003-06-03 Member: 16972Members
    edited December 2011
    I still have 20 minutes left to buy it for £20..ehhhhhhh.

£20 was still too much, but I don't think I can pass it up for £12

<a href="http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/DD-BMAC/batman-arkham-city" target="_blank">http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/DD-BMAC/batman-arkham-city</a>
  • ZiGGYZiGGY Join Date: 2003-01-19 Member: 12479Members
    skyrim on sale, but not on sale enough for me :|
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1891348:date=Dec 22 2011, 08:12 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Dec 22 2011, 08:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891348"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Arkham City at half price. Already. I feel like Steam is just mocking me now.

"lol you bought something at full price! SUCKER!"<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's okay, they got me by ONE DAY on Saint's Row
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    edited December 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1891292:date=Dec 22 2011, 04:57 AM:name=X_Stickman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (X_Stickman @ Dec 22 2011, 04:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891292"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Psychonauts is great. You most likely won't regret it.

Probably.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's a mixed bag, but overall I enjoyed it.

Sure, you've got sometimes wonky platforming, and thank God they fixed up the last level to be less hellish. And OH GODS CHANGING GRAVITY on Boyd's almost made me quit even though it has THE MOST AWESOME LINES EVER in it.

Still, I had a blast playing it. The variety, the characters, and just the overall ludicrous awesome premise of the game is soooooo fun.

<!--quoteo(post=1891590:date=Dec 25 2011, 02:10 AM:name=ZiGGY)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ZiGGY @ Dec 25 2011, 02:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891590"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->skyrim on sale, but not on sale enough for me :|<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why not? I figure best price we'll see for a while, and sure I won't get around to it for a while as the mods and patches still flow. But, still, probably best price we'll see until Summer.
    Bastion is on sale for 4,75€... you should get it! It's a steal and the game is really refreshing.
  • WolpertingerWolpertinger Join Date: 2011-12-24 Member: 138958Members
    edited December 2011
    Bastion is very nice for under 5 bucks.
    Beat Hazard can also be very nice.
    Rock Of Ages is great fun for just 2 bucks. I hope the sales for RoA go well, so ACE Team will work on Zeno Clash 2 in the future. (Btw. Zeno Clash 1 is just about 3 bucks right now.)

Man, I lose at least 50 bucks every holyday sale.
    Already got myself Arkham Asylum for 4,99, Port Royale 2 for 0,99, Civ III Complete for 2,49, LIMBO for 2,49, Portal 2, Mass Effect 1 & 2 for ~ 8 bucks, Mirror's Edge for 2,00 and many more this year.
    Still waiting for possible Daily Deals on Deus Ex 3: The Missing Link and The Longest Journey + Dreamfall.

And I got Day Of Defeat Source as a gift and Nimbus.

EDIT: Finished a Steam-Achievement and now Steam giftet me The Longest Journey and Dreamfall. Kind of nice. Even though they could have giftet me something from my wishlist...
  • ZenoZeno Join Date: 2007-09-05 Member: 62183Members
    edited December 2011
    I have some kind of first-world-porblem with this sale: there are barely any games left that I really want, that I could buy. Already got everything else in the previous sales. This time I only bought the Sherlock holmes games and Portal 2.

Here are some games that I can recommend:

<b>The Stalker series</b>: for me the very best single player games for many reasons. One of them is that these are real <b>PC</b>-Games fore core gamers, so get it.

Dreamfall and <b>The Longest Journey</b>: Adventure series (click&point, i love this genre). I can imagine that there are people who find it a little "girly" but its probably the best adventure I've played so far, despite the ###### graphics.

<b>Just Cause 2:</b> get this instead of GTA. Sandbox game with enormous draw distance and nice Graphics, especially for Nvidia users. Story seems to be crysis-like dumb at first but it's all just tongue-in-cheek.

<b>VVVVVV</b>: you probably already got it with the Humble Bundle but anyway. Fun, short and hard game with a nice chiptek soundtrack which shows how much can be done out of the simple concept and using just 3 buttons.

<b>Braid</b>: Jump and run, side scroller, puzzle solving, time manipulating.

games that are -IMO- overrated:

Limbo: yeah its not bad and all but its <b>very</b> short and probably only worth it's money if its at least a 75% discount. Can't be compared to Braid.

Dead Space: boring console game.

aaaaand: sorry to spoil the party but I think Psychonauts was my worst waste of 2€ so far, including the coin that got lost in a broken locker - at least I learned something for the rest of my life that day.
    Bought it last year after hearing all the hype about the "hidden gem" expecting something really new and original. Couldn't find anything original, just boring platforming gameplay and a childish cartoon. Maybe I didn't get it or haven't played enough (1 hour or so), maybe somebody can explain to me what's so fascinating about the game ....

<!--quoteo(post=1891348:date=Dec 22 2011, 10:12 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Dec 22 2011, 10:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891348"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Arkham City at half price. Already. I feel like Steam is just mocking me now.

"lol you bought something at full price! SUCKER!"<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Steam taught me: never buy anything at full price. Especially not in steam. Edit: except NS2 or some other Indies of course
    edited December 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1891852:date=Dec 27 2011, 12:17 PM:name=Zeno)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zeno @ Dec 27 2011, 12:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891852"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Dreamfall and <b>The Longest Journey</b>: Adventure series (click&point, i love this genre). I can imagine that there are people who find it a little "girly" but its probably the best adventure I've played so far, despite the ###### graphics.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Really looking forward to playing these games during the holydays.

If you love adventures, go buy Syberia 1 and 2. Benoit Sokal's masterpieces. (Still thinking about getting Paradise and The Sinking Island, but they are not on Steam, unfortunately. But Nikopol is, for 2,49.)
    I also heard very good things about The Whispered World, and the Monkey Island Remakes.

<!--quoteo(post=1891852:date=Dec 27 2011, 12:17 PM:name=Zeno)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zeno @ Dec 27 2011, 12:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891852"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have some kind of first-world-porblem with this sale: there are barely any games left that I really want, that I could buy. Already got everything else in the previous sales. This time I only bought the Sherlock holmes games and Portal 2.
    [...]
    Steam taught me: never buy anything at full price. Especially not in steam.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeh, usually I only buy games on Steam during the holyday-sales or weekend/midweek specials.
    But I keep reminding myself to limit the amount of games I buy. Because "price reductions" have an impact on our brain's decision whether we really want something.
    edited December 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1891348:date=Dec 22 2011, 09:12 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Dec 22 2011, 09:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891348"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Arkham City at half price. Already. I feel like Steam is just mocking me now.

Well, I paid 35 bucks for regular NS2 non-special pre-order beta. - But this is an indie team and I like to support these guys, so they can afford booze and ######s once in a while.
  • ZenoZeno Join Date: 2007-09-05 Member: 62183Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1891853:date=Dec 27 2011, 01:25 PM:name=Wolpertinger)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wolpertinger @ Dec 27 2011, 01:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891853"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Really looking forward to playing these games during the holydays.

If you love adventures, go buy Syberia 1 and 2. Benoit Sokal's masterpieces. (Still thinking about getting Paradise and The Sinking Island, but they are not on Steam, unfortunately. But Nikopol is, for 2,49.)
    I also heard very good things about The Whispered World, and the Monkey Island Remakes.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Play Dreamfall first, TLJ second. TLJ is a classic click&point, dreamfall however is not. It barely has any puzzles or any demanding gameplay but is all about storytelling... like Fahrenheit minus all the bull###### that came with it.

Already played Syberia 1&2 :) but I made the mistake to play it <u>after</u> TLJ which outclasses most adventures.
    Maybe it's because I'm not used to thrillers but I really liked Still life - even more than Syberia. I like games that are obiously not for kids and Still life is such a game. It's not silence of the lambs but it can be recommended.

Can't recommend Nikopol though. I heared it's based on a comic so if you read the comic it's probably for you but if you didn't stay away. The game seems unfinished or the devs were just not motivated. It definitely has potential but it's not used. Neither in the story nor in the gameplay.

Too bad there are so few adventures on steam.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    edited December 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1891852:date=Dec 27 2011, 12:17 PM:name=Zeno)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zeno @ Dec 27 2011, 12:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891852"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Psychonauts [...] a childish cartoon.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's why. If that's how you see the game, then it's no wonder you don't like it. Yes, the graphics are cartoony and wonky, but that's part of the charm of the game.

The hilariously themed levels as you delve into the minds of the mentally ill later in the game are also a high point of the game. The Milkman Conspiracy, Lungfishopolis, Waterloo World, and (visually) my favourite, Black Velvetopia, are all changes of pace that introduce yet another twist on what would otherwise have been a somewhat ordinary platformer.
    Also if you only played it for an hour then you never get ahold of any significant amount of psychic powers, which means you haven't really seen the game mechanics either.

But if the graphical style is a dealbreaker for you, then the game isn't for you. A pity, because you're missing out, but you can't please everyone.
    edited December 2011
    The boyd level is one of the coolest and at the same time nausea inducing levels I've ever played...

I was constantly on the verge of puking and crying with laugther in that level.

BTW: anyone want a 33% coupon for any bethesda game? I'd trade for coal!
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    Trading, yay!

Have:
    2x portal 1
    1x -50% Valve
    1x -50% Recettear AnItemShop'sTale

Want:
    Coal
  • konatakonata Join Date: 2011-08-24 Member: 118296Members
    This year has been a sad year for gaming. Thus I have only bought 1 thing in the sales and that was peer pressure from others.

I look forward to next year for gaming, even though things like Diablo 3 won't be in the steam sales.. I have higher hopes for gaming next year other than a 3 month spurt of 2/3 good games at the end of the year.

The list for 2012 already looks so much more fantastic than 2011, D3, FC3, MP 3, ME3, GW2, TL2, Prey 2, BS 3, NW and quite a few more that make my tiny brain explode. (REF: <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Upcoming_video_games_scheduled_for_2012" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Upco...eduled_for_2012</a> )