Have a question for UWE?

Comments

• KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2011
    - Will we see real-time <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8730SR1POk" target="_blank">radiosity</a>, <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7Qw05BUuss" target="_blank">Translucency</a>/sub surface scattering, other methods of AA, Shadowcasting on particles (e.g. smoke is always spotless white atm), Water effects, weather effects(e.g. for mood outside of the map/ in half open areas) or animations in the skybox - like for something like <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh6zm1RHFJU" target="_blank">this </a>?

edit:
    - The current Hud is also just a place holder right? Cant really dig that its so distracting (because of the glowing blue borders) positioning and sizes of the things were much better in the mockups(at least health and armor bar was in the bottom left corner for years why change it?), and the planned 3d effect is still missing...

- With the added map download stuff on servers, does that mean also the hash checking is in? - will we be able to exclude stuff like crosshairs?

edit2:
    - Whats the status on the server client? cant be that ns2 requires stronger/as strong hardware than/as a battlefield3 64 player server.

- Compared to ns1, ns2 is really getting too casual in some areas, any plans?
  • BarerRudeROCBarerRudeROC Join Date: 2010-10-01 Member: 74264Members
    edited December 2011
    What ever happened to Cory's box?
    What <u>is</u> Brian's secret to maintaining immaculate facial hair?
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2011
    Would love to hear more about the upcoming particle effects optimization.

Character customization for after version 1.0. And if there could be an alien pre-order bonus.

Also if a non flash version of the main menu is being made that will allow players to tweak their graphics settings.

Edit: Forgot to ask if they were able to choose a final Babbler for the crag.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    What are they gonna do about energy?
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=115515" target="_blank">Nano Shield, Beacon, Building energy doesn't scale with resource situation</a>
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Keep them coming guys! 942am here, and filming has commenced.
  • Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    I would like to hear more about how they think the game is progressing and what's still to come etc.

Great job by the way, it would be nice to see slightly longer vids and some fraps footage of the onos and mineshaft being play tested if possible.
  • ArgathorArgathor Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110942Members, Squad Five Blue
    Which dev can eat the most cream-crackers in 1 minute? I don't care who wins, I just want to SEE that! ;-)
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Would love to know what thye have planned for the gorge and whether focus is coming back? :)
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2011
    - Do you have any plans to make stuff like the Radiance mod a basic feature of the editor, maybe even go further...

have some kind of multiplayer feature so you could share a mapping session and do stuff live on the same map with multiple ppl over the internet... ~ Gmod, crysis 2 editor and spark having a baby.

edit: hope hugh also goes over posts again, since some ppl like me edit stuff in - and dont just make a new posts all the time
  • Dragon-GuardDragon-Guard Join Date: 2011-07-25 Member: 112159Members
    edited December 2011
    Not so much a question as a request.

Is it perhaps possible for Cory to record, or get some recordings of Cory working on some concept stuff.
    Im now in my 2nd year Game Design and starting to get into digital drawing and i would love to get a bit of a view of an artist in the industry and how he works.

Sure there are some videos on youtube of people showing them doing a speedpainting or how they do stuff, trying to teach people, but what i really want is to just see a nice piece of vid of someone doing some real work in the line of work i hope to be doing in a few years.

Like in your other recording, where Cory talked about his place holder screen that he made and the quick draw over for the onos effect.
    I would love to actually have some footage of him actually doing something like that (or any other concept or digital piece).

I know this isnt actually something that would be ideal for you to record Hugh as its pretty specific to my field of study, so maybe not interesting for others, and would take up a "large" chunk of time.

But maybe you can nudge Cory or someone else at UWE a bit so we maybe get so see something like that soon or sometime in the future :>
    No voice or anything is needed, a raw recording would already do for me.

EDIT:

I do have 1 question regarding the editor, i used to map using hammer for the source engine, so i was wondering if we will get some entities that we can use to control things as well.
    Like movers, timers, logic stuff,... (to do things like moving geometry, setting up times or player controlled actions (explosions, things moving around,....)
  • konatakonata Join Date: 2011-08-24 Member: 118296Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1889186:date=Dec 8 2011, 07:54 PM:name=Dragon-Guard)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dragon-Guard @ Dec 8 2011, 07:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1889186"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not so much a question as a request.

Is it perhaps possible for Cory to record, or get some recordings of Cory working on some concept stuff.
    Im now in my 2nd year Game Design and starting to get into digital drawing and i would love to get a bit of a view of an artist in the industry and how he works.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I second a "Day in the work of Cory" like the sound guy did. Cory's artwork is pretty much the best thing about NS2 for me.
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    edited December 2011
    This question is influenced by many multiplayer team LAN parties with my friends.

When playtesting in the office...

What are the pairings of comrades and enemies?
    Who likes to face off against each other?
    Who likes to pair together to create damage?

To each person in UW...
    What is your favorite unit in NS2?
    Commander?
    Marine?
    Alien Commander?
    Skulk?
    Fade?
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    when will alien movements be improved, to the level ns1 had?
    will their be ns classic mode? (ns1 with spark engine)
  • Fluid CoreFluid Core Join Date: 2007-12-26 Member: 63260Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Are you happy with how the Kharaa commander have turned out? Do you think the assymetric gameplay of ns1 could have been kept while providing the Kharaa with the needed mechanics through the gorge?
  • BCSephBCSeph Join Date: 2005-02-24 Member: 42384Members, Constellation
    What are the goals in terms of multi-threading in the client and server?

How likely are we to see 32-player games in the near future?

Will it eventually be possible for mappers to create water-heavy environments like ns_bast's Feedwater?

Are there any plans to give the alien and marine commanders more offensive "minion" structures like the ARC and Whip?

As gorges and alien comms have similar abilities, how do you see the dynamics of the two playing out by the 1.0 release (eg, heavily coordinated or focused on separate issues)?
  • Fluid CoreFluid Core Join Date: 2007-12-26 Member: 63260Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2011
    Have you considered rewarding the lerk for swooping in on enemies by for example increasing spike damage from your forward speed? <i>So that it wouldn't be a flying skulk or a movable turret</i>
  • ArgathorArgathor Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110942Members, Squad Five Blue
    Could we get some thoughts on the future for NS2 server software? Are there plans for it to not require a super computer to host an NS2 server in the not-too-distant-future?
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    One question answered: <a href="http://www.ns2hd.com/2011/12/how-is-natural-selection-2-made.html" target="_blank">'What programs do the developers used to create NS2'</a>

Another one on the way!
    edited December 2011
    So, after watching NS2HD #334 what is:
    <u>new:</u> Concussive Rifle (research at same lvl as shotgun, applies force to lighter targets?)
    Nerve Gas (placeholder button was in in early alpha times - any details?)
    Nanogrid Defense (heard it before - details?)
    <u>new:</u> Jumpjets (exo research - guess exos cant jump or use ladders? - and with this they have a short jetpack like burst - without the possibility of hovering?)
    Plasma Rifle (wasnt listed in the techtree, but in the pivotal tracker - while i heard it before any details?)
    Nuke Post v.1.0 (this will really come? :P)
    <!--quoteo(post=1889086:date=Dec 8 2011, 08:18 PM:name=WorthyRival)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WorthyRival @ Dec 8 2011, 08:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1889086"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Which games have had the biggest influences on NS2 development. RTS and FPS's ? What is each developers fondest gaming memory ? Which alien class is each developers favorite and why ? Maybe a little over the sholder footage of them playing that class. Who prefers to play FPS or RTS roles ?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This question is <a href="http://www.ns2hd.com/2011/12/what-are-some-of-games-that-have.html" target="_blank">now answered!</a>

Keep them coming guys. While I of course can't answer them all, I will do my best to pick out the best ones with one day to go.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    As scotty said previously, what books do you guys read?

In addition would you consider putting a list up on ns2hd.com with comments about the books?
  • DarksterDarkster Join Date: 2010-02-17 Member: 70612Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited December 2011
    With summit already official can we expect more community maps to become official as well (i.e. post-release) or was summit a special case?

btw: neat use of dropbox for build distribution.
    edited December 2011
    Summit is not the first map that got official, before him sgt.barlow with his map has become official(but no public release) - he stepped back a bit on his map (which will come out too some time in the future?) and worked on mineshaft instead (which is coming out with build 190) afaik.

If your map is high quality and has good layout, your chances are high to get official... its not a special case.

@ironsoul
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQMNbDKH6GA&feature=plcp&context=C2a035UDOEgsToPDskL2DHIwMlYOdf3_9uWGOkyS" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQMNbDKH6GA...lYOdf3_9uWGOkyS</a>

While its a year old, plenty too read if you are interessted

---
    Can we please not ask the same questions again and again, influence has been asked and answered numerous times, and tools is pretty obvious... so the only interesting thing so far was build, of the questions series. (not that i didnt enjoy the videos, but dunno...)
    Even though I won't be able to put up answers to all the questions this week, I'll do my best to record enough footage that I can keep giving out question answers once Alex and I are home!
    <!--quoteo(post=1889340:date=Dec 9 2011, 07:28 AM:name=NS2HD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NS2HD @ Dec 9 2011, 07:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1889340"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Even though I won't be able to put up answers to all the questions this week, I'll do my best to record enough footage that I can keep giving out question answers once Alex and I are home!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You should update your signature :)
  • PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    I have heard that there are plans for a female marine. In the future, what kind of customization (if any) can we expect for our in game player models?
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    I have a question/request:

Can we haz a youtube remix of Brian doing the turning animations dance? :p
  • DarksterDarkster Join Date: 2010-02-17 Member: 70612Members, Reinforced - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=1889335:date=Dec 9 2011, 01:09 AM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Dec 9 2011, 01:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1889335"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Summit is not the first map that got official, before him sgt.barlow with his map has become official(but no public release) - he stepped back a bit on his map (which will come out too some time in the future?) and worked on mineshaft instead (which is coming out with build 190) afaik.

If your map is high quality and has good layout, your chances are high to get official... its not a special case.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ah, I see. Thanks. :)
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    I'll take this one, guys.

<!--quoteo(post=1889222:date=Dec 9 2011, 03:53 AM:name=luns)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (luns @ Dec 9 2011, 03:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1889222"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->when will alien movements be improved, to the level ns1 had?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Tomorrow, sometime next year, or never.

<!--quoteo(post=1889222:date=Dec 9 2011, 03:53 AM:name=luns)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (luns @ Dec 9 2011, 03:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1889222"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->will their be ns classic mode? (ns1 with spark engine)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I asked Modder 1 and Modder 2, but they haven't gotten back to me. I think they may be dead. So get started, Modder 3!
  • AtoneAtone Join Date: 2009-09-21 Member: 68839Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1889327:date=Dec 9 2011, 05:44 AM:name=Ironsoul)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ironsoul @ Dec 9 2011, 05:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1889327"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->scotty<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's an interesting way to spell my name. ;D