Darkening Alien Start Areas

henrythewhitehenrythewhite Join Date: 2011-01-29 Member: 79551Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Aliens should be able to darken spaces where no socket has been built</div>With the new socket model for power nodes, there are sections of the map which never end up going dark. This is not because the marines hold on to them indefinitely, but because the aliens are never able to put out the lights without a marine first building a socket there. As much as I enjoy the socketed power node style of play, it does seem a bit weird that the alien start should have its lights on all game long.

I would like to see something simple that aliens could do to turn out the lights in an area. I love the atmospheric feel of dark alien hives glowing with organic light sources, and I think that there should be more of that. Perhaps something simple, like having a gorge place a cyst on an unsocketed power node? Or giving the alien commander the option to click on unsocketed power nodes near infestation to grow over them and turn out the lights? Looks could vary, but the important part is just to make the hive area dark and organic-feeling.

You'd also have to consider whether this would slow down game-flow by making it take longer for marines to clear and build in areas, but I'm sure something could be done. What do you folks think?

Comments

• peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Hey welcome to the forums henry!

I agree with your post. Alien controlled areas should never be bright like the marine areas.

I don't really get the socket-power node thing...areas look powered but need the power node, and aliens have to wait for a powernode to be placed then destroy it, only then will the lights go out. Why can't they destroy the socket itself and force marines to construct that?

Whatever the devs think about the sockets I'm sure they'll make it so alien start is or can be made dark, there's no reason for it to be otherwise.
  • maD maXmaD maX Join Date: 2010-01-28 Member: 70347Members
    edited December 2011
    Now that gorges spit cysts I think they should be able to spit a connected cyst on to an unbuilt power node and infest the power gride... Maybe flickering lights or just dark... I like your idea.

Maybe infested powergrids show up different to com like static since he's losing control of that area.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    The current plan is to have infestation grow over lights in alien-controlled areas, altering the light to give an alien feel while still allowing the area to be illuminated by the infestation and some light sources. Darkness is reserved for contested areas where Kharaa and Marines are fighting.
  • Vladimir Van VodkaVladimir Van Vodka Sexy Beast Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73364Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2011
    I'd contest with a gorge when the lights are out.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Basically what Techercizer said, which quite frankly is a good compromise without forcing all aliens to use alien vision in Hive rooms (god-forbid, that emergency lighting redness)
  • SwampRatSwampRat Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13369Members
    Is the darkness (to be) a temporary effect in 'contested areas'? If not then it's still an odd concept to have areas that have been marine held at some point being potentially more alien friendly than the alien starting areas.

Keep darkness a short term blip (some nanites somewhere need to flip a trip switch back on) but let the alien comm trigger it in infested areas
  • ForssForss Join Date: 2011-10-30 Member: 130180Members
    I think a bit of fog would fit the alien look better than complete darkness.

<a href="http://static.desktopnexus.com/wallcache/67/67019-1280x720-Forest_Fog_Bryce_5.5.jpg" target="_blank">http://static.desktopnexus.com/wallcache/6...g_Bryce_5.5.jpg</a>
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1888701:date=Dec 6 2011, 03:54 AM:name=Forss)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Forss @ Dec 6 2011, 03:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1888701"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think a bit of fog would fit the alien look better than complete darkness.

<a href="http://static.desktopnexus.com/wallcache/67/67019-1280x720-Forest_Fog_Bryce_5.5.jpg" target="_blank">http://static.desktopnexus.com/wallcache/6...g_Bryce_5.5.jpg</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Hive fog is planned but has not been implemented yet.
  • l3lessedl3lessed Join Date: 2010-06-07 Member: 71977Members
    edited December 2011
    I don't understand what they were thinking either. It seems pretty straight forward problem with a straight forward solution. Sorry if I'm sounding a little elitist.

Lit/powered areas (Completely lit and powered with socket in node) = Marine friendly and controlled. Marine start begins in this state.
    neutral red steady lighting (Barely any flickering at all if any with broken socket) = Contested areas. Unlike in the current build, All rooms except Marine and alien start begin here.
    Unlit/unpowered areas (Minor red light flickering with cyst in power node) = Alien controlled and friendly. Alien hive starts in this state.

The one side idea I have is allow gorges to drop a cyst on a power node. This cyst won't expand or create any infestation. It will merely work like a reverse power socket, effectively shutting down the rooms power completely.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    @l3lessed: Maybe instead of spreading infestation around it, the power cyst (:P) grows infestation around lights only? Giving it some type of orange-ish glow perhaps.
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    edited December 2011
    You know it is a problem when someone creates an account and the first thing they post is this.

But yeah, adding to the discussion, alien areas are a little to bright and can benefit the marines slightly as well as aliens. It is much more marine friendly than the 'contested areas'.

And also, I really hate the crappy emergency lighting, it looks horrible so please change that soon.

Edit : I also like the idea for the gorge (Or commander or both) that he can put a cyst on a power socket. It doesn't necessarily have to do anything but it could just be something to block one from being 'socketed'. That way they can't just get MACs to build loads everywhere but instead they have to destroy the cyst first and then build it. It promotes a player and commander sort of play.

Perhaps it could prevent the commander from using the nano-shield and dropping health packs. That way he has to get the marines to destroy the cyst before he can help them.